Anyone interested in doing something crazy, like, say, reading one science fiction short story a day, may be interested in knowing that there are plenty of websites that offer high quality SF for free. Here are some of those sites:
- SciFiction – courtesy of the SciFi Channel who, I read somewhere, is one of the highest paying markets for SF. They post classic SF stories as well as originals.
- Infinity Plus – offers some big-name authors
- Free Speculative Fiction Online – is a collection of links to free online short SF around the web.
- Seeing Ear Theater – also hosted by the SciFi Channel. It offers audio versions of SF stories. looks like it hasn’t been updated in a while, though.
- The online version of print magazines (Asimov’s SF, Analog, Fantasy & SF) also offer free stories online.
How do you steer clear of the trash? Why, review sites of course! The following sites review short science fiction:
- Tangent Online – one of the most comprehensive short SF review sites.
- Best SF – Another great resource of reviews. The site also lists newly available (and free) online short fiction.
- Review of 100 Great SF Short Stories – the name says it all. No, really. Just read it again if you don’t believe me.