The Laws of Science Fiction Writing
BoingBoing posted a link to stencils of famous science fiction authors. Ho-hum.
More interesting to me was the website’s pointer to The Laws of Science Fiction Writing. To summarize:
- No Nazis.
- Aliens should be ALIEN.
- Good Science Fiction is Good Science.
- Given Something an Alien Name Doesn’t Make it Alien.
- Never kill off your main character.
- It takes two to tangle.
- A story should contain descriptions involving all 5 senses.
- No Unicorns!
- No Star Trek or Star Wars References
- No Dreams
- No Supermen
Rule #1 means no stories about time-travelling Nazi Zombies. Damn.
Filed under: Books
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!