Before podcasts were cool, radio was da bomb.
DataJunkie points to classic radio dramas Dimension X and X Minus 1 which featured radio adaptations of classic science fiction stories. A chronological log of the X Minus 1 broadcasts gives this description of the show:
X MINUS ONE was an NBC science fiction series that was an extension,
or revival, of NBC’s earlier science fiction series, DIMENSION X.
which ran from Apr. 8, 1950 through Sept. 29, 1951. Both are
remembered for bringing really first rate science fiction to the air.
The first X MINUS ONE shows used scripts from DIMENSION X, but soon
created new shows from storied from the pages of Galaxy Magazine. A
total of 125 programs were broadcast, some repeats or remakes, until
the last show of Jan. 9, 1958.
DataJunkie points to MP3 downloads of these shows:
- “First Contact” by Fritz Leiber.
- “The Old Die Rich” by H. L. Gold
- “Lulu” by Clifford D. Simak
- “The Iron Chancellor” by Robert Silverberg
- “The Haunted Corpse” by Frederik Pohl
- “Double Dare” by Robert Silverberg
- “Venus Is A Man’s World” by William Tenn
- “The Green Hills of Earth” by Robert A. Heinlein
- “The Discovery of Mornial Mathaway” by William Tenn
- “Dr. Grimshaw’s Sanitorium” by Fletcher Pratt
- “Lifeboat Mutiny” by Robert Sheckley
Now that’s Retro-cool!
But wait, there’s more! Internet archive also collects 50+ episodes of X Minus 1 including adaptations of “The Cold Equations” by Tom Godwin and Heinlein’s “The Roads Must Roll“. RadioLovers has another collection of 44 episodes of X Minus 1. (Unfortunately, the numbered labels are not very helpful.) You can also buy the episodes in CD.