Like before, here are my quick takes on the genre-related films I’ve watched in the last several weeks.
- Donnie Darko (2001) – Despite time travel being one of my favorite subgenres of SciFi, this psychological time travel thriller failed to overly impress me. The whole film was spent trying to figure out what was going on in the life of troubled teen Donnie Darko, and when it was revealed, it seemed like no big deal. And man, was it god-awful slow.
- Dreams With Sharp Teeth (2008) – Love him or hate him, Harlan Ellison is one of the most influential and interesting personalities in the field and this captivating documentary comes close (but not close enough) to getting inside his head.
- Sunshine (2007) – I alternated between boredom and disbelief in this film thanks to its casual pacing and unbelievable portrayal of science. On the positive side, the premise was good and the photography was great (with the exception of the jittery camera effect of the unexpected visitor).
- eXisTenZ (1999) – Me before the movie: Ooh, a virtual reality thriller! Me after the movie: WTF? Ah…written and directed by David Cronenberg. Bizarre. However, intriguingly so.
- Up (2009) – Science fictional ideas (Lost World, imaginative inventions) leaning towards the fantastical in a sad, funny and ultimately heartwarming film.
- Fanboys (2008) – A Blues Brothers for the Star Wars generation. Lots of Star Wars humor and a bunch of impressive cameos.