SF Tidbits for 9/2/09
- Interviews & Profiles:
- John Scalzi turns the Whatever mike over to Malinda Lo, author of Ash.
- Agony Column podcast-interviews Peter S. Beagle, Karen Joy Fowler, Michael Swanwick, and M. Rickert.
- War Rocket Ajax podcast-interviews Jess Nevins.
- The latest BookBanter podcast features Seanan McGuire (Rosemary and Rue).
- AWARDS NEWS: Pawel Dembowski writes in to tell us that the Polish Janusz A. Zajdel Award for 2008 was awarded on Saturday at Polcon in Lodz. The winners are: Kameleon (Chameleon) by Rafal Kosik (novel), and “Swiaty Dantego” (“Dante’s Worlds”) by Anna Kantoch (Short story).
- Over at Dear Author, Heather Massey makes the case for Steampunk Romance.
- Wired: Why E-Books Look So Ugly. [via MobileRead Forums]
- @Centauri Dreams: Science Fiction and Interstellar Thinking: “…science fiction’s clout doesn’t come so much from prediction as much as from the ability to try out new ideas by remodeling the world so as to accommodate them.”
- David Langford has posted Ansible 266 for September 2009.
- Lena Headey (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) lands the last major part in HBO’s Game of Thrones pilot.
- Nicole at Geekend is on a quest for the ultimate geek movie.
- Stan Lee (and … Jack Kirby?) on the Marvel/Disney deal.
- Real Science: Mike Brotherton is Rethinking Pluto.
- Not Real Science: New Species Of Lobster May Have Come From Outer Space.
- Look at This has a handy graphic on how to tell the difference between swine flu, bird flu…and zombie flu.
- A Venn Diagram of Mythical Creatures. [via MonkeyFilter and Cynical-C Blog]
- It’s back to school time. And what better way to celebrate your inner geekness than with these Star Wars Text Book Covers. Of course, doing so means it’s no longer “inner” but “outer” which may subject you to extended periods of time inside a locker. Cover you books at your own risk!
- Cyberpunk Review lists Cyberpunk Movies by Decade. (Old list but still useful.)
- @Magical Words, Misty Massey lists 5 Things You Ought To Know About Writers.
- @SciFi Scanner: The 10 Most Dastardly Supervillain Quotes.
Tagged with: and M. Rickert • Awards • cyberpunk • Disney • e-Books • Game of Thrones • Jess Nevins • Karen Joy Fowler • Malinda Lo • Marvel • Michael Swanwick • Mike Brotherton • Peter S. Beagle • Pluto • Romance • Seanan McGuire • Star Wars • steampunk • Tidbits
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!