Catching Up on SciFi Movies (Part 14)
As I’ve done before, here are my quick takes on the genre-related films I’ve watched in the last few weeks.
Quick thoughts follow…
- War of the Worlds (2005) – I liked the overall dark tone and the great special effects, but the family drama was a little thick.
- Superman: Doomsday (2007) – Superman finally meets his match. Good action and an interesting plot twist or two helps one to overlook the other oddities like Lois Lane’s miniskirt and Luthor’s unhealthy co-dependency on Superman.
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988) – What is it about Hayao Miyazaki films that are so different and magical? This one is no exception; it’s got great animation, unique storytelling and is brimming with imagination.
- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984) – Too campy to taken seriously and not campy enough to be any good. Why do people love this so much? Am I missing something?
- Starship Troopers (1997) – While only superficially true to Heinlein’s classic military sf novel, this flick has a certain charm all its own, courtesy of director Paul Verhoeven’s gonzo approach to sf tropes.
Tagged with: Catching Up on SciFi Movies
Filed under: Movies
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!