This week, io9 published an excerpt of Mira Grant’s Blackout, the final book in her Newsflesh trilogy (following Feed and Deadline). Today, Orbit will be releasing the spoilerific chapter 3 – but locked behind a series of five codes. Each code will be released to a blog in the form of a puzzle image, and only after collecting all five and entering them on a page on the Orbit site will readers be able to access the excerpt.
Good news: Today, an intrepid Newsie hacked into the CDC computer system and liberated another file for SF Signal readers. Below is a puzzle whose answer reveals one of the five codes you’ll need to access the second, top-secret document.
Rumor has it that you should be hanging around these other blogs to gather the other four:
Once you’ve gathered all five codes, you can access the encrypted document at the Orbit Books site. (WARNING: Massive spoilers for Feed and Deadline in Blackout excerpts!)
Blackout will be available May 22nd.
But wait! There’s more…!
Courtesy of Orbit Books, we have a complete set of Mira Grant’s Newsflesh Trilogy — comprised of the books Feed, Deadline, and Blackout — to to give away to 1 lucky SF Signal reader!
Here are the descriptions:
The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.
Shaun Mason is a man without a mission. Not even running the news organization he built with his sister has the same urgency as it used to. Playing with dead things just doesn’t seem as fun when you’ve lost as much as he has. But when a CDC researcher fakes her own death and appears on his doorstep with a ravenous pack of zombies in tow, Shaun has a newfound interest in life. Because she brings news-he may have put down the monster who attacked them, but the conspiracy is far from dead. Now, Shaun hits the road to find what truth can be found at the end of a shotgun.
The year was 2014. The year we cured cancer. The year we cured the common cold. And the year the dead started to walk. The year of the Rising.
The year was 2039. The world didn’t end when the zombies came, it just got worse. Georgia and Shaun Mason set out on the biggest story of their generation. The uncovered the biggest conspiracy since the Rising and realized that to tell the truth, sacrifices have to be made.
Now, the year is 2041, and the investigation that began with the election of President Ryman is much bigger than anyone had assumed. With too much left to do and not much time left to do it in, the surviving staff of After the End Times must face mad scientists, zombie bears, rogue government agencies-and if there’s one thing they know is true in post-zombie America, it’s this:
Things can always get worse.
Here’s how you can enter for a chance to win:
- Send an email to contest at sfsignal dot com. (That’s us).
- In the subject line, enter ‘Newsflesh Trilogy‘
- In the email, please provide your mailing address so that the books can be mailed as soon as possible. (We share only the winner’s information with the publisher sponsoring the giveaway so that prizes can be mailed. All other address info is purged once the giveaway ends.
- This giveaway is open only to residents of U.S., Canada and U.K.
- Anyone may enter, but please, only one entry per person. Duplicate entries will be fed to the zombies. If you’ve won something from us in the past, please give someone else a chance.
- The giveaway will end Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 (09:00 PM U.S Central time). The winner will be selected at random, notified, and announced shortly thereafter.