FINALISTS: 2012 Sidewise Awards
The nominees for the 2012 Sidewise Awards for Alternate History (for works published in 2011) have been announced:
- Castro’s Bomb by Robert Conroy
- Himmler’s War by Robert Conroy (Baen)
- Then Everything Changed: Stunning Alternate Histories of American Politics: JFK, RFK, Carter, Ford, Reagan by Jeff Greenfield (Berkley Trade)
- Wake Up And Dream by Ian R. MacLeod (PS Publishing)
- Planesrunner (Everness, Book One) by Ian McDonald (Pyr)
- Heart of Iron by Ekaterina Sedia (Prime Books)
- Camera Obscura (Angry Robot) by Lavie Tidhar (Angry Robot)
- Michael F. Flynn, “The Iron Shirts” (Tor.com)
- Lisa Goldstein, “Paradise Is a Walled Garden” (Asimov’s, 8/11)
- Jason Stoddard, “Orion Rising” (Panverse 3, edited by Dario Ciriello, Panverse Publishing)
- Harry Turtledove, “Lee at the Alamo” (Tor.com)
The Sidewise Awards for Alternate History were conceived in late 1995 to honor the best allohistorical genre publications of the year. The first awards were announced in summer 1996 and honored works from 1995. The award takes its name from Murray Leinster’s 1934 short story “Sidewise in Time,” in which a strange storm causes portions of Earth to swap places with their analogs from other timelines.
This year’s nominees include previous winners Harry Turtledove (1997, 2002), Michael F. Flynn (2007), Ian R. MacLeod (1998, 2005), and Robert Conroy (2009). Jason Stoddard was previously nominated in 2005. First time nominees include Lisa Goldstein, Jeff Greenfield, Ian McDonald, Ekaterina Sedia, and Lavie Tidhar.
The winners will be announced at Chicon 7, this year’s Worldcon, in Chicago, Illinois during the weekend of August 30. The Sidewise Awards have been presented annually since 1995 to recognize excellence in alternate historical fiction. This year’s panel of judges was made up of Stephen Baxter, Evelyn Leeper, Jim Rittenhouse, Stu Shiffman, Kurt Sidaway, and Steven H Silver.
Tagged with: Sidewise Award
Filed under: Awards
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!