This is the debut project of John’s new company, Lone Boy, and it promises to be something worth showing off. It’s being produced to John’s normal high quality standards. It will be printed on 12 pt. premium paper stock with a satin aqueous-coated finish, and is sure to look absolutely beautiful. John has not only illustrated the artwork that appears within the calendar, but he has also designed the calendar itself. One thing worth noting: whereas most calendars feature artwork occupying a 12″ x 12″ page, this calendar will devote more space to the stunning illustrations that are included.
What pieces are included? Glad you asked! Each month, you’ll see the artist’s cover illustration from the following:
- JANUARY: Fast Forward 2 edited by Lou Anders (Pyr)
- FEBRUARY: Muse Of Fire by Dan Simmons (Subterranean)
- MARCH: Elric: Sword And Roses by Michael Moorcock (Random House/Del Rey)
- APRIL: Age Of Misrule: World’s End by Mark Chadbourn (Pyr)
- MAY: Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Subterranean)
- JUNE: A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (HarperCollins/Eos)
- JULY: The Creative Fire by Brenda Cooper (Pyr)
- AUGUST: Gateway by Frederick Pohl (Random House/Del Rey)
- SEPTEMBER: The 13th Reality: The Journal Of Curious Letters by James Dashner (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin)
- OCTOBER: Memoranda by Jeffrey Ford (Golden Gryphon Press)
- NOVEMBER: Drood by Dan Simmons (Subterranean Press)
- DECEMBER: Away From Here (Asimov’s Science Fiction, September 2009)
Here’s a video of the artists himself explaining the John Picacio 2013 Calendar project…
The Kickstarter rewards for contributors are numerous. Depending on your pledge, you could get your own copy of the calendar, signed archival prints, process drawings, your name printed on a full run of the calendars, and/or the opportunity to model for an upcoming published science fiction/fantasy artwork by the artist.
Head on over to the John Picacio 2013 Calendar Kickstarter page for more details.