The SF Signal Podcast (Episode 173): The Massive List of 2013 Hugo Ballot Suggestions
In episode 173 of the SF Signal Podcast, Patrick Hester asks his motley crew of mis-fit panelists to discuss: Who is on your 2013 Hugo Nomination Ballot?
This is a long podcast! Fair Warning! Tons of show notes after the jump.
This week’s panel:
© 2013 SFSignal.com
Featuring original music by John Anealio
Tell us what you think – leave us a voicemail!
Can’t see the widget above? That’s okay – just call 720-277-9082 or shoot us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
I’ve tried to include story/author names everywhere I could.
- Existence by David Brin [Jeff]
- vN by Madeline Ashby [Paul]
- Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole [Paul]
- Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear [Paul]
- The Troupe by Robert Jackson Bennett [John]
- Machine by Jennifer Pelland [Janet Harriet via Twitter]
- Ink by Damien Walters Grintalis [Janet Harriet via Twitter]
- “Sudden, Broken, and Unexpected” by Steven Popkes (Asimovs) [Jeff]
- Adrift on the Sea of Rains (Apollo Quartet) by Ian Sales [Paul]
- “From Whence You Came“, A Lands Vin Novella by Laura Anne Gilman [Paul]
- The Emperor’s Soul by Brandon Sanderson [Paul]
- Jeff: “The Ways” by Ken Liu (Citation? I can’t find it) [Jeff, Paul]
Best Short Story
- “Tyche and the Ants” by Hannu Rajaniemi [Jeff]
- “The Waves” by Ken Liu [Jeff]
- “Beautiful Boys” by by Theodora Goss [Jeff]
- “Death Reported of the Last Surviving Veteran of Great War” by Dan Abnett [Jeff]
- “The Patrician” by Tansy Rayner Roberts [Paul]
- “Secret Bestiary” [Paul]
- “Drive” [Paul]
- “The Girl Thing That Went Out For Sushi” by Pat Cadigan [Paul]
- “Safety Tests” [Paul]
- “Desire” by Kiini Ibura Salaam [John]
- “Immersion” by Aliette de Bodard [John]
- “The Telling” By Gregory Norman Bossert [John]
- “A Hundred Ghosts Parade Tonight” by Xia Jia, translated by Ken Liu [John]
- “Armless Maidens of the American West” by Genevieve Valentine [Janet Harriet via Twitter]
- “A Handful of Glass, a Sky without Stars” by Damien Walters Grintalis [Janet Harriet via Twitter]
- “Glass Boxes and Clockwork Gods” by Damien Walters Grintalis [Janet Harriet via Twitter]
- “The Jamcoi” by J.M. McDermott [Janet Harriet via Twitter]
Best Related Work
- The Economist: A Very Rough Guide To Hell [Jeff]
- 2013 John Picacio Wall Calendar [Paul]
- London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction edited by Moorcock and Allan Kausch [John]
- A Short History of Fantasy by Farah Mendlesohn [John]
- Mur Lafferty’s I Should Be Writing [Patrick]
- The ‘Sequence a Science Fiction Writer’ fundraiser for Jay Lake [Patrick]
Best Graphic Story
- Saga, Vol 1 [Jeff, Patrick]
- Lauren Beukes’ run on Fables [Paul]
- Looking For Group [Patrick]
Best Dramatic Presentation “Long Form”
- Marvel’s The Avengers [Paul, Patrick]
- Cabin in the Woods [Paul]
- Blastic The Seven Wilds [John]
- Safety Not Guaranteed [John]
- Chronicle [Patrick]
- Cabin in the Woods [Patrick]
- Life of Pi [Patrick]
- Dredd [Patrick]
Best Dramatic Presentation “Short Form”
- Doctor Who: “The Power of 3″ [Jeff]
- Primeval “New World” (pilot) [Jeff]
- Doctor Who: “Asylum of the Daleks” [Paul]
- Downton Abbey (because so many genre fans are obsessed with the show) [John]
- The Walking Dead Season 3 [John, Patrick]
- Fringe: “Making Angels” [Patrick]
- Alphas [Patrick]
- Young Justice [Patrick]
- The Legend of Korra [Patrick]
- Eureka [Patrick]
Best Editor Long Form – We had some trouble here and would love to hear reader/listener suggestions in the comments!
Best Editor Short Form – We had some trouble here and would love to hear reader/listener suggestions in the comments!
- Collective thoughts:
- John Joseph Adams
- Carrie Cuinn
- Jonathon Strahan
- Lynne Thomas
- Amanda Rotter
Best Professional Artist – We had some trouble here and would love to hear reader/listener suggestions in the comments!
Best Semiprozine – We had some trouble here and would love to hear reader/listener suggestions in the comments!
- Apex? [Patrick]
- Electric Velocipede? [Patrick]
Best Fanzine – We had some trouble here and would love to hear reader/listener suggestions in the comments!
- A Dribble of Ink [Paul]
- Bookworm Blues [Paul]
- Functional Nerds [Paul]
- SF Signal [Patrick]
- Collective Thoughts:
- SF Signal
- SF Squeecast
- Coode Street
- SF Crossing the Gulf
- Functional Nerds
- Skiffy and Fanty
- Slice of Scifi
- (There’s way more…)
Best Fan Writer – We had some trouble here and would love to hear reader/listener suggestions in the comments!
Best Fan Artist – We had some trouble here and would love to hear reader/listener suggestions in the comments!
The John W. Campbell Award
The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer is not a Hugo. It is voted for and presented alongside the Hugos, but the eligibility rules are not governed by the WSFS Constitution. The John W. Campbell Award is given to the best new science fiction or fantasy writer whose first work of science fiction or fantasy was published in a professional publication in the previous two years. For the 2013 award, which is presented at the World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon), the qualifying work must have been published in 2011 or 2012.
- Courtney Schafer [Paul]
- Teresa Frohock [Paul]
- Patrick: I am torn between Stina and Mur, once again. Both are wonderful and deserve a nomination and a win.
Filed under: Podcast
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!