FINALISTS: 2013 Hugo Award (Plus: Free Fiction Links!)
The finalists for the 2013 Hugo Award have been announced.
Short version: Woot! Two nominations again — Thank you, everyone!
Long version: The nominees are:
- 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson (Orbit) [See SF Signal review]
- Blackout by Mira Grant (Orbit)
- Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
- Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi (Tor) [See SF Signal review]
- Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed (DAW) [See SF Signal review]
- After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall by Nancy Kress (Tachyon Publications)
- The Emperor’s Soul by Brandon Sanderson (Tachyon Publications)
- On a Red Station, Drifting by Aliette de Bodard (Immersion Press)
- San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats by Mira Grant (Orbit)
- “The Stars Do Not Lie” by Jay Lake (Asimov’s, Oct-Nov 2012)
- “The Boy Who Cast No Shadow” by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Postscripts: Unfit For Eden, PS Publications)
- “Fade To White” by Catherynne M. Valente (Clarkesworld, August 2012) (audio version)
- “The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi” by Pat Cadigan (Edge of Infinity, Solaris)
- “In Sea-Salt Tears” by Seanan McGuire (Self-published)
- “Rat-Catcher” by Seanan McGuire (A Fantasy Medley 2, Subterranean)
- “Immersion” by Aliette de Bodard (Clarkesworld, June 2012)
- “Mantis Wives” by Kij Johnson (Clarkesworld, August 2012)
- “Mono no Aware” by Ken Liu (The Future is Japanese, VIZ Media LLC)
Note: category has 3 nominees due to a 5% requirement under Section 3.8.5 of the WSFS constitution.
- The Cambridge Companion to Fantasy Literature Edited by Edward James & Farah Mendlesohn (Cambridge UP)
- Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comic Books by the Women Who Love Them Edited by Lynne M. Thomas & Sigrid Ellis (Mad Norwegian Press)
- Chicks Unravel Time: Women Journey Through Every Season of Doctor Who Edited by Deborah Stanish & L.M. Myles (Mad Norwegian Press)
- I Have an Idea for a Book… The Bibliography of Martin H. Greenberg Compiled by Martin H. Greenberg, edited by John Helfers (The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box)
- Writing Excuses Season Seven by Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, Mary Robinette Kowal, Howard Tayler and Jordan Sanderson
- Grandville Bête Noire written and illustrated by Bryan Talbot (Dark Horse Comics, Jonathan Cape)
- Locke & Key Volume 5: Clockworks written by Joe Hill, illustrated by Gabriel Rodriguez (IDW)
- Saga, Volume One written by Brian K. Vaughn, illustrated by Fiona Staples (Image Comics)
- Schlock Mercenary: Random Access Memorabilia by Howard Tayler, colors by Travis Walton (Hypernode Media)
- Saucer Country, Volume 1: Run written by Paul Cornell, illustrated by Ryan Kelly, Jimmy Broxton and Goran Sudžuka (Vertigo)
- The Avengers Screenplay & Directed by Joss Whedon (Marvel Studios, Disney, Paramount)
- The Cabin in the Woods Screenplay by Drew Goddard & Joss Whedon; Directed by Drew Goddard (Mutant Enemy, Lionsgate)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Screenplay by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro, Directed by Peter Jackson (WingNut Films, New Line Cinema, MGM, Warner Bros)
- The Hunger Games Screenplay by Gary Ross & Suzanne Collins, Directed by Gary Ross (Lionsgate, Color Force)
- Looper Screenplay and Directed by Rian Johnson (FilmDistrict, EndGame Entertainment)
- Doctor Who:”The Angels Take Manhattan” Written by Steven Moffat, Directed by Nick Hurran (BBC Wales)
- Doctor Who:”Asylum of the Daleks” Written by Steven Moffat; Directed by Nick Hurran (BBC Wales)
- Doctor Who:”The Snowmen” Written by Steven Moffat, Directed by Saul Metzstein (BBC Wales)
- Fringe:”Letters of Transit” Written by J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Akiva Goldsman, J.H.Wyman, Jeff Pinkner. Directed by Joe Chappelle (Fox)
- Game of Thrones:”Blackwater” Written by George R.R. Martin, Directed by Neil Marshall. Created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (HBO)
- Apex Magazine edited by Lynne M. Thomas, Jason Sizemore and Michael Damian Thomas
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies edited by Scott H. Andrews
- Clarkesworld edited by Neil Clarke, Jason Heller, Sean Wallace and Kate Baker
- Lightspeed edited by John Joseph Adams and Stefan Rudnicki
- Strange Horizons edited by Niall Harrison, Jed Hartman, Brit Mandelo, An Owomoyela, Julia Rios, Abigail Nussbaum, Sonya Taaffe, Dave Nagdeman and Rebecca Cross
- Banana Wings edited by Claire Brialey and Mark Plummer
- The Drink Tank edited by Chris Garcia and James Bacon
- Elitist Book Reviews edited by Steven Diamond
- Journey Planet edited by James Bacon, Chris Garcia, Emma J. King, Helen J. Montgomery and Pete Young
- SF Signal edited by John DeNardo, JP Frantz, and Patrick Hester
- The Coode Street Podcast, Jonathan Strahan & Gary K. Wolfe
- Galactic Suburbia Podcast, Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce, Tansy Rayner Roberts (Presenters) and Andrew Finch (Producer)
- SF Signal Podcast, Patrick Hester, John DeNardo, and JP Frantz
- SF Squeecast, Elizabeth Bear, Paul Cornell, Seanan McGuire, Lynne M. Thomas, Catherynne M. Valente (Presenters) and David McHone-Chase (Technical Producer)
- StarShipSofa, Tony C. Smith
Award for the best new professional science fiction or fantasy writer of 2011 or 2012, sponsored by Dell Magazines (not a Hugo Award).
* denotes Finalists in their 2nd year of eligibility.
Participation in the nomination process reached a record high this year with 1,343 valid ballots being cast (compared to the previous record of 1,101 set by Chicon 7 in 2012). There were 1,329 electronic ballots and and 14 paper ones. The 2013 Hugo Award and John W. Campbell Award winners will be announced Sunday, September 1, 2012, during the Hugo Awards Ceremony at LoneStarCon 3 in San Antonio, Texas.
See also: Past winners
On the nominations: Thanks you so much for the two (count ‘em) nominations! This is still an indescribably thrill. This would not have happened without our awesome contributors. So props to all of them!
Filed under: Awards
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!