The finalists for this year’s Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award (honoring the best short science fiction story published in 2012) and John W. Campbell Memorial Award (honoring the best science fiction novel of 2012) have just been announced.
- “Things Greater Than Love” by Kate Bachus (Strange Horizons 3/19/12)
- “Immersion” by Aliette de Bodard (Clarkesworld 6/12)
- “Scattered Along the River of Heaven” by Aliette de Bodard (Clarkesworld 1/12)
- “The Grinnell Method” by Molly Gloss (Strange Horizons 9/3/12 & 9/10/12)
- After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall by Nancy Kress (Taychon)
- “The Weight of History, the Lightness of the Future” by Jay Lake (Subterranean Spring 2012)
- “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species” by Ken Liu (Lightspeed 8/12)
- “Mono No Aware” by Ken Liu (The Future Is Japanese)
- “Nahiiku West” by Linda Nagata (Analog 10/12)
- Eater of Bone by Robert Reed (PS Publishing)
- “The Peak of Eternal Light” by Bruce Sterling (Edge of Infinity)
- “(To See the Other) Whole Against the Sky” by E. Catherine Tobler (Clarkesworld 11/12)
“Close Encounters” by Andy Duncan (The Pottawottamie Giant) was a finalist, but Duncan, a juror, removed it from consideration.
- The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks (Orbit)
- Any Day Now by Terry Bisson (Overlook)
- Existence by David Brin (Tor)
- The Rapture of the Nerds by Cory Doctorow & Charles Stross (Tor)
- Empty Space by M. John Harrison (Night Shade)
- Intrusion by Ken MacLeod (Orbit)
- Railsea by China Miéville (Del Rey)
- The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi (Tor)
- Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds (Ace)
- Jack Glass: The Story of a Murderer by Adam Roberts (Gollancz)
- 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson (Orbit)
- Slow Apocalypse by John Varley (Ace)
- Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (Grove Press)
The Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award and John W. Campbell Memorial Awar will be presented at the Campbell Conference Awards Banquet being held on July 13-16, 2013 at the Oread Hotel in Lawrence KS.
Congrats to all the finalists!
[via Locus Online.]