Interviews & Profiles
- Amazon Asks: Samantha Shannon, author of The Bone Season.
- The Bone Season author Samantha Shannon on Her Family’s Reaction to Her Big Book Deal.
- Books-n-Kisses Q&A with April Genevieve Tucholke of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.
- David Tennant explains one way Doctor Who’s better than James Bond
- George R.R. Martin explains why Forbidden Planet is his favorite movie
- John Scalzi of Redshirts discusses his nomination for the Hugo Award
- Legendary Comic Creators on Sexism: “The Comics Follow Society. They Don’t Lead.”
- Lytherus has a dual interview with Leigh Bardugo of Shadow and Bone and Marissa Meyer of Cinder.
- Five questions for The Thousand Emperors author Gary Gibson.
- Notes from Coode Street has posted a live interview with Andy Duncan and Ellen Klages discuss the writing life, short fiction, collaboration, and their forthcoming Tor.com novella “Wakulla Springs.”
- Ruth Rendell: “Withholding information from the reader should be part of any story”
- SFWA Sends a Message of Professionalism
- WeightlessBooks.com has announced that it has recently added two new magazines to their subscription offerings: Interzone and Black Static.
Events & Event News
- Loncon 3, the 72nd World Science Fiction Convention, will be held August 14-18, 2014 at ExCeL
- Science Fiction: The Interdisciplinary Genre an academic conference entitled “Science Fiction: The Interdisciplinary Genre” being held from September 13-15 in honor of the donation of the Robert J. Sawyer archives to the school.
- Review: Tinker, Taylor, Warlock, Spy: Paul Di Filippo reviews Ian Tregellis’s Milkweed Triptych
- 10 Things Emerging Writers Need To Learn
- 22 Rules of Storytelling derived from watching Pixar films.
- Alex Hughes on How To Do a Book Blog Tour (Part 2)
- BNR Recommends The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of 2013 (So Far)
- Doctor Who: The Doctor and I Explain Death to a Four-Year-Old
- E-book sales decline: Do people not want to read books on tablets?
- Fiction in 2043: A time-travelling author reports back on what he’s seen of the future. (Part 2)
- Five Wrong-Headed Reasons for Not Writing Diverse Characters in Science Fiction
- Heist to meet you: the compulsive thieves of gaming: What makes a heist game truly great.
- How sexism is destroying the comic book industry
- How to Write Realistic Dialogue
- LitStack suggests Indie Authors You Should Be Reading.
- Learning to Love the E-book
- The obsessive, delusional side of fantasy role-playing: from Dungeons and Dragons to LARP
- Paste Magazine drools over the 12 Best Fictional Libraries.
- Suvudu Universe: Hai Can I Haz Ur Stuffz?
- Top 10 Fantasy Movie Weapons
- Why Dystopian Tales Like Elysium Often Fail
- A World Without Science Fiction
Science and Technology
- The 10 Weirdest Robots At This Year’s Drone Show
- Iron Man Exoskeleton could give astronauts superhuman strength
- Out Of The Comics, Into Reality: Jet Pack Moves Closer To Market
- Personalized robot companions for older people are now a reality.
- Sending Robotic Repairmen to Space: A plan to send fully automated robots to survey, fix and refuel satellites could prove revolutionary to space science.
- Shopping for a robot army: A day at the don’t-call-it-a-drone show
- Space: the lonely frontier
More Fun Stuff
- Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 gets a new modern-day twist.
- New Poll Finds Majority of Americans Thought We’d Live Inside Computers By Now
- Read a preview of “Defenders of Beeman County” by Aaron Allston from Rayguns Over Texas.