Interviews & Profiles
- Adam Ford interviews David Brin of Existence
- Amazing Stories has an interview with Kevin R. Grazier, Science Consultant for Gravity
- Emily Croy Barker for The Thinking Woman’s Guide to Real Magic
- Fantasy Faction chats with Australian author Adina West about her new urban fantasy Dark Child.
- Geek’s Guide To The Galaxy Podcast interviews Margaret Atwood
- George R. R. Martin: The Rockstar of Genre Fiction
- Horror Writer’s Association has posted an interview with Amber Benson
- Ian Tregillis explains the Milkweed novels
- Jonathan Maberry talks with Kami Garcia of Unbreakable about Horror in Young Adult Fiction
- On Madness and Play criticizes the conceit of dream levels in game, not simply for being a lazy contrivance, but for reusing the same mechanics as the rest of the game.
- Paolo Bacigalupi of Zombie Baseball Beatdown is this week’s guest on The Coode Street Podcast.
- Stephen King: on alcoholism and returning to the Shining. In the interview, Stephen King slams Twilight franchise as ‘tweenage porn’
- Robert Sawyer To Get Lifetime Achievement Award
- MARVEL’s talking about another TV spin-off from its superhero universe, thanks to Captain America‘s Agent Carter.
- Ed Kramer, co-founder of Dragon*Con, is staying in jail until his trial.
Events & Event News
- Banned Books Week is being celebrated from September 22 – 28 this year. Banned Books Week was first launched in 1982 in response to a sudden surge in the number of challenges to books in schools, bookstores and libraries. Since then, more than 11,300 books have been challenged in libraries or schools. Twitter, YouTube, Will Promote Banned Books Week.
- Review: Margaret Atwood reviews Stephen King’s ‘Doctor Sleep’ for the NYTimes
- 6 Game Developers That Should Just Make a Damn Movie Already
- 11 Things You Might Not Know About J.K. Rowling
- Banned Bokks Week: 7 Reasons Your Favorite Book Might Get Banned
- Breathing new life into James Bond [via Alexandre Maki]
- Contemporary Hungarian SF novels – Zoltán László: Once Upon a Time
- Could Banning Books Actually Encourage More Readers?
- Disney: The ‘Sky’s the Limit’ for ‘Star Wars’ Opportunities
- Do ebooks foster attention deficit disorder?
- Doctor Who: 10 best Cybermen stories
- A Few Thoughts on Other Cultures and Diversity in SFF
- Galactic Civilization Is Almost Inevitable
- H.G. Wells Invented Everything You Love
- No, Books Should Not Tell You How Long it Will Take to Read Them
- Paolo Bacigalupi shares the inspiration behind his latest novel, Zombie Baseball Beatdown, and explores what it takes to create a life-long reader.
- Speculative Fiction Writing Wroundup for 9/21/2013
- The thrilling Daredevil #31 tackles the Trayvon Martin trial verdict
- Tom Bradwell points to a grotesque torture scene in GTA V and wonders if it’s actually doing the game any favors (NSFW: graphic description, video). Meanwhile, The New Yorker contrasts the scene with the novel Lolita and questions whether there is a difference to reprehensible behavior’s creative merit when a player gets involved.
- Top 10 Actors to Play the Big-Screen ANT-MAN
- Why Today’s Inventors Need to Read More Science Fiction
- Why you shouldn’t miss Orphan Black
- Will a master’s in creative writing get you a book deal?
- World Building Schmerld Building, or Why I Don’t Give A Flying Snitch About Your World by Anton Strout. In the article, Strout points to Patrick Rothfuss’ series as a positive example.
Science and Technology
- 18-Year-Old Invents Exoskeleton Glove To Help His Grandma
- How STAR WARS 1313 Game Project Could Revolutionize Filmmaking
- 101 Fictional Characters as Sloths
- Embodying Patricia Briggs’ Mercy Thompson In Person and In Paint
- Gorgeous nouveau-inspired portraits of Miyazaki’s characters
- This illustration by Appylon is a color script showing the major arcs of a story. Beginning, rising actions, twist, climax, falling action, conclusion.
More Fun Stuff
- Coming soon: The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister
- The First Photos of Doctor Who
- The Goddess War begins in Antigoddess, the first installment of the new series by acclaimed author of Anna Dressed in Blood, Kendare Blake.
- Harry Potter Marriage Proposal Is Full Of Riddles, Magic And Love
- Here’s a video of Neil Gaiman reading from his children’s book, Fortunately, The Milk
- Inside WORLD WAR Z’s Zombie Survival Crash Course
- Read an excerpt of “Cast In Sorrow” by Michelle Sagara
- Read an excerpt of “The Plague Forge” by Jason Hough.