SF/F/H Link Post for 2013-10-02
Interviews & Profiles
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. star Ming-Na Wen on Joss Whedon’s quiet energy.
- The Agony Column interviews Connie Willis of Blackout & All Clear
- BBC Radio2 meets the horror author, Kim Newman to chat about his new Anno Dracula novel.
- BiblioFiend interviews Amy Tintera, whose debut novel Reboot was released this past May.
- Cherie Priest discusses Dystopian Fiction on the latest edition of the Writing Excuses podcast.
- Distraction99 interviews Malinda Lo, of Inheritance, book two of the Adaptation series.
- Literary Escapism welcomes Bec McMaster of the London Steampunk novel My Lady Quicksilver.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Steve Bein, author of Daughter of the Sword and Year of the Demon
- Paul Pope discusses his graphic novel, Battling Boy, which is about the rough coming-of-age of Battling Boy, the pampered 13-year-old son of an ancient war god dispatched to protect the city of Arcopolis from a wave of monster attacks. [Video]
- Penguin Classics editorial director Elda Rotor fielded questions from readers on reddit today, sharing advice for aspiring publishing professionals.
- Publishers think teenagers don’t want to read about sex, says young adult author Darren Shan
- The Qwillery interviews Ann Leckie, author of Ancillary Justice
- Rachel Deering on her Horror Anthology ‘In The Dark’
- The Reading and Writing Podcast Hunter Shea of Sinister Entity.
- Scott Marlow interviews J.S. Riddle, author of Rise of a Queen.
- SFFWorld talks to Kate Karyus Quinn, author of the YA horror novel Another Little Piece.
- Suvudu interviews The Godborn author Paul S. Kemp
- Suvudu interviews Stonecast author Anton Strout
- Thunderbirds are back! Actor David Graham reveals inspiration for Parker voice.
- Curtis Sittenfeld’s ‘Sisterland’ to be adapted for TV
- C.S. Lewis’ The Silver Chair movie is a Go
- Elliot K. Shorter died of complications arising from cancer yesterday. Shorter was the Fan Guest of Honor at Worldcon 1970, and he helped run SunCon. He was a former member of the City College of New York SF Club, and he owned a SFF bookstore called Merlin’s Closet.
- Fantastic Books brings The Dark Path back into print.
- BBC America to Simulcast Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special.
- The Frozen Chosin – a thoroughly researched and historically accurate graphic novel/3D animation project about the most horrific battle of the Korean War, the Chosin Reservoir campaign.
- GAMES – the first sitcom based in a video games shop. Think Black Books, IT Crowd and add a dash of video games and you get GAMES.
- HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Kickstarters by John Joseph Adams.
- The Dead Roots Comic Anthology by Mike Garley.
- Gail Carriger’s Crudrat: Full-Cast Audiobook by J. Daniel Sawyer.
- 6 Telltale Signs You Were Born to Be a Writer
- 10 Comic Book Characters That Didn’t Debut in Comic Books
- 18 intriguing fan theories about what’s going on with Agent Coulson
- 50 Things We Learned on the Set of ‘Thor: The Dark World’
- All Hallow’s Read: Scary Picks for 2013!
- Celluloid Androids: The Big Screen’s Fascination with Robots
- Constantine casting call: 10 picks for NBC’s Hellblazer.
- Fiction Affliction: October Releases in Science Fiction
- How to Spot a Reader
- How Would the Media React if The Avengers Were Real?
- Hugo Winner Brunner “Bends the Rules of What We Know”
- Is Reading Really That Important?
- October 2013 New Releases: Mystery and Suspense and SF/F/Horror
- On Genre’s Surrealist Tendencies
- Pre-NaNoWriMo Tips
- Robot Separatists: The Best Stories About A.I.s Leaving Humanity Behind
- Sex, Violence and Devils: Ten Books That Shocked the World
- Shut Up About Not Having Time to Read
- Speculative Fiction Writing Wroundup for 10/1/2013
- Three memoirs that prove libraries and books save lives
- Top 6 Doctor Who Sites
- The Top 20 Joe R. Lansdale Works of Short Fiction
- Triple Combo!: Not content with mashing up two genres, some authors are combining three or more. These are the best I’ve seen recently.
- The true story of Sir Jeffery Hudson, the real-life Tyrion Lannister
- What does it mean to be a character? What does it mean to be human? What does it mean to be you? Chris Batemen explores these terrifying questions digging through a strange paradox: why does a personality-absent cipher character like Gordon Freeman win fan character contest polls?
- Who killed the major Halloween horror movies?
- Why All Writers Should Care About NaNoWriMo
- You probably already know, but yesterday, J.W. Rinzler’s The Making of Return of the Jedi was finally released. Peter wrote about the book here but so did the official Star Wars website, who revealed a piece of concept art by Joe Johnston for an “Imperial Tracker.” It was an early idea George Lucas had that didn’t end up in the movie.
Science and Technology
- The Clarkes World podcast discusses the Difficulties of an Asteroid Capture Mission
- Determing What Robots Should Look Like Varies With Age
- Greatest book ever? Never heard of it, but the title’s got my attention.
- A group of Attack on Titan fans have used Minecraft to construct a model of the Shinsangana District, which is destroyed in the first volume.
- Life-sized LEGO Dalek is here to exterminate!
- War Stories Cover Release.
More Fun Stuff
- Cover reveal for War Stories edited by Jaym Gates and Andrew Liptak
- Elizabeth May takes you on a tour of The Falconer’s Edinburgh
- Firefly cosplay: a Corgi dressed as the Firefly
- Read an excerpt of Abyss Deep by Ian Douglas
- Read an excerpt of The White Goddess by Robert Graves
- Rhode Island Education Commissioner Deborah Gist Skydives For Literacy
- Watch this book trailer for Entangled by Amy Rose Capetta
- Watch this book trailer for The Eye of Minds by James Dashner
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!