SF/F/H Link Post for 2013-10-29
Interviews & Profiles
- The Alan Moore Marvelman Interview: “I Definitely Wanted My Name Taken Off It”
- The Agony Column receives some unexpected answers about MaddAddam from Margaret Atwood
- Book View Cafe interviews Sarah Zettel, who goes by the pen name Marissa Day, among others.
- Lawrence M. Schoen chats with Patricia Briggs
- Joss Whedon talks about the Marvel Universe in a red carpet interview from the Thor premiere.
- Just in time for Halloween, Shawna Trpcic – the woman behind the amazing and enviable outfits worn in Firefly, Angel, Dr. Horrible, The Cabin in the Woods, Power Rangers, and many, many more – is here to answer your questions about dressing up and getting costumed!
- My Bookish Ways talks to Anne Lyle about the final book in her Masque series, The Prince of Lies
- The Qwillery interviews Libby McGugan, author of The Eidolon
- Richard Kadrey takes on teen horror in ‘Dead Set’
- Speculate! continues its triptych of shows on the work of Scott Lynch, specifically The Lies of Locke Lamora and The Gentleman Bastard Sequence to which it belongs
- Writing Excuses talks Realistic Melee Fighting with Wesley Chu of The Lives of Tao.
- Fantasy Authors Band Together To Help Pay Medical Bills
- New research from Pew shows that 24% of Americans now own e-book readers. [PDF]
- Open Road Media to Publish Nine Ebooks from Science Fiction Author Samuel R. Delany
- Simon and Schuster has announced the launch of a new science fiction line.
- World Book Night US titles announced
- ChiZine Publications Halloween Sale!
- Nevermore – Master Horror director Stuart Gordon, brilliant actor Jeffrey Combs and inspired screenwriter Dennis Paoli – the team that brought you From Beyond and Re-Animator – team up again to bring you a brand new feature film.
- Playsets — A new way to play tabletop RPGs remotely. Say goodbye to your graph paper and share an immersive adventure in minutes. Playsets is presented in a 2D isometric view on a flat iPad screen that feel like you’re sitting down at a real table with your friends, staring at actual game pieces.
- Review: Duplex by Kathryn Davis imagines world where humans and robots mate
- 5 questions Professor Brian Cox must answer about The Science of Doctor Who
- 10 Tips For Self-Publishing A Multi-Author Anthology
- 11 sci-fi TV episodes that got yanked for being far too disturbing
- 12 episodes of TV shows that were supposed to be scary (but weren’t)
- 12 sci-fi and horror flicks which filmed terrifyingly grim alternate endings
- 14 facts about Ray Bradbury’s early years that’ll make you love him even more
- 15 years ago, Congress kept Mickey Mouse out of the public domain. Will they do it again?
- 2013: The Year of The Video Game Story
- The Best Hard Science Fiction Books of all Time
- The best (mostly) scary video games to play this Halloween… if you dare.
- A brief history of young adult literature
- Do we really know the writers we read?
- Emerging battlefield technology borrows from science fiction.
- For Major Publishers, Will Print No Longer Be the Norm?
- The Guardian names its picks for the Top 10 horror movies and Top 10 sci-fi movies
- How does Doctor Who present mental health issues?
- How to fix Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
- Is Waiting The Hardest Part or The Most Harmful?
- JJ Abrams: from Lost to Ship of Theseus
- Neil Gaiman on reading for pleasure as a way to sustain a thriving society
- The Nerdist names their Top Ten Favorite Horror Novels
- Space Opera: An Epic History
- Why Facebook is no longer relevant to content creators (and readers!)
- Why So Negative About Living to 120? Sci-fi about longevity tends toward the dystopian.
Science and Technology
- 5 Unanswered Questions That Will Keep Physicists Awake at Night
- Beyond Terminator: Robots Deserve Ethical Treatment Too (Op-Ed)
- Japanese scientists successfully test asteroid-blasting space cannon
- Making Robots More Like Us
- George Orwell’s 1984 Inspired Illustration by Lesley Barnes
- Guillermo Del Toro Gives Exclusive Peek Inside His Cabinet Of Curiosities
- Lost ‘Return of the Jedi’ footage discovered on $699 LaserDisc
- Terry Pratchett’s “Discworld” Series Gets Stunning Collector’s Edition Cover Art
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!