SF/F/H Link Post for 2013-10-31
Interviews & Profiles
- Author started zombie series in Pendleton prison: T.W. “Todd” Brown discusses his DEAD series.
- Christopher Paolini On the Leatherbound Eragon
- Cory Doctorow and Terry Pratchett: Authority and Underdogs
- Diabolical Plots interviews Kevin Anderson, author of numerous Dune and Star Wars novels.
- Gingernuts of Horror offers 5 Minutes with R.R. Haywood, author of The Undead Day One.
- Guillermo del Toro interview on BBC Film 2010
- Harrison Ford Discusses ‘Ender’s Game,’ Drone Warfare, Vietnam, and Playing A Badass President
- I Smell Sheep talks with Thea Harrison, who discusses her Elder Dragon series.
- Literary Escapism welcomes Sonya Clark, who is celebrating the release of Trancehack.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Tony Ballantyne, author of Dream London
- Self-Publisher’s Showcase interviews Ian J. Malone, author of MAKO
- Signal Podcast interviews Scott Allie. They discuss “Serenity: Leaves on the Wind.”
- Summer Glau on Power Struggles, Jealousy and Superhero Suspicions.
- Pros and Cons Podcast interviews Gray Rinehart.
- Amazon Launches ‘Day One’ Digital Literary Journal
- Events, Books Honor C.S. Lewis 50 Years After His Death
- HarperCollins goes direct-to-consumer for global e-book sales
- Neil Gaiman is joining the Bard College faculty as a Professor in the Arts. I would like to imagine his exams would be something really magical, like “Spend the night wandering alone through the forest. As the dawn breaks, whisper your fondest childhood memory into the leaves of an ancient oak.” When there turned out to be actual questions, I would fail that class SO hard.
- Black Labyrinth Book II – New Joe R. Lansdale horror novella offered in signed limited edition hardcovers illustrated by surrealist artist Santiago Caruso.
- Dragons of Elanthia – Climb aboard an ancient dragon and blast your enemies out of the skies in this high-flying multiplayer shooter! Dragons are awesome, and flying is also awesome. Therefore, flying dragons around inside an active volcano is even more awesome. In fact, if we could sum up our approach to making this game, it would simply be “make it as cool as possible.”
- PULP Literature Magazine – Genre-busting short stories, novellas, serials and graphic novels in a pulp anthology magazine. Good books for the price of a beer!
- The 5 Most Important Life Lessons Taught by R. L. Stine Books
- 9 Children’s Books That Absolutely Terrified Us
- 9 contemporary horror stories you can read right now: From Harlan Ellison to Peter Watts, a collection of the best contemporary horror stories to get you into the Halloween spirit
- The 10 Best Horror Movies of the Last 10 Years
- 10 Low-Budget Sci-fi Movies That Are Worth Watching
- 10 Novels That Will Scare The Hell Out Of You
- The 10 Scariest Television Episodes ever Produced
- The 13 Greatest Horror Directors of All Time
- The 25 Best Horror Movies Since The Shining
- The 666 greatest horror characters.
- All Write – Fiction Advice explains Why you should back your characters into corners
- Best Bets for Science Fiction & Fantasy Books—November 2013
- Buffy and the Heroine’s Journey: A new book examining the Heroine’s journey
- The fifty biggest movie fandoms.
- Halloween reading: Joseph D’Lacey’s top 10 horror books. It’s not only Stephen King and James Herbert, you should be afraid of Cormac McCarthy and Kafka, explains the horror novelist
- How Much Science Should Be In Science Fiction?
- If diving into the epic 10 volume Sandman series is a bit daunting to you, The Mary Sue came up with a list of 11 Sandman stories you can read and understand without spoiling the entire story.
- Joss Whedon: why are his strong women characters still so unusual?
- Laura Anne Gilman discusses Zen and the Art of… Disappointment
- A list of Lovecraftian comics and graphic novels
- The Literary Origins Of Halloween
- The Map That Proves That Terror Can Happen Anywhere (At Least in the Movies)
- Mitch Dyer wrote on the all too depressing and all too real question of ‘how long can video games matter?” This is given their iterative qualities instead of artistic and how each new game forces obsolescence on their predecessors.
- Mythic Scribes offers advice on Using Villains to Shape Your Hero
- Neil Gaiman’s Recommended “Scary Book” Reading List for All Hallows Read
- Orson Scott Card’s anti-gay views haunt ‘Ender’s Game’ premiere
- The Problem of Prophecy
- The Top 10 Witches In Pop Culture
- What’s W.R.O.N.G. with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Alan Sepinwall provides his take on the show with a thorough breakdown of his creative issues with the series.
- Why it’s Too Early for Publishers to Give up on Media-Rich Ebooks
- The Writing Box: 10 NaNoWriMo Tips
Science and Technology
- Physics: The time lord and fellow travellers
- Police firing GPS tracking ‘bullets’ at cars during chases. The GPS Launcher sits behind the grille of a police vehicle and deploys tracking tags onto fleeing vehicles. Real life has finally caught up with comic book tech!
- 18 Literary Pumpkins For A Bookish Halloween
- Geeky Pumpkins To Nerdify Your Porch With This Halloween
- Intricate Pumpkin Carvings Featuring Iconic Movie Characters
- Life-Sized Dinosaurs Made Out Of Jack-O-Lanterns
- Some Cthulhu Pumpkins to get you in the Halloween spirit!
- Where the Wild Things Are pumpkin carving
- What says Halloween better than Nightmare Before Christmas Cakes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
More Fun Stuff
- Cover reveal: The Great Jones Coop Ten Gigasoul Party edited by Paul Di Filippo
- Sword and Laser returns from hiatus with an a look at Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!