SF/F/H Link Post for 2013-11-26
Interviews & Profiles
- Dan Brown AMA on Reddit.com
- Director Francis Lawrence on How Catching Fire transformed Peeta from Wuss to Bad Ass
- Director Terry Gilliam on His Latest, The Zero Theorem
- The Examiner has an interview with J.M. McDermott, author of Maze and the Dogsland series
- How ‘Hunger Games’ Fans Influenced Director Francis Lawrence
- I Smell Sheep interviews Faith Hunter, author of The Black Arts.
- Lawrence M. Schoen has a brief interview with Faith Hunter of the Rogue Mage series.
- My Bookish Ways talks to Laura K. Curtis about her debut novel, Twisted
- The Qwillery ask Bibliotheca Fantastica authors about the power of books
- Scott Lynch, author of The Republic of Thieves, joins Writing Excuses before a live audience at GenCon Indy to talk about roguishness.
- Review: Almost Human is almost perfect science fiction
- Review: Sibilant Fricative reviews Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood
- The 25 Best Sci-Fi Books Of All Time, According To The Internet
- Alan Moore Finds Success of The Avengers “Alarming”
- Bookworm Blues on The Incredible Tad Williams.
- Embracing My Inner Fanboy – 10 Things That Fuel My Obsession With a Story
- The Fascinatingly Flexible Political Subtext of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Girls can play too: Why Game of Thrones isn’t sexist
- Holiday Gift Books for Lovers of Science and Science Fiction
- How Catching Fire Fixed All the Worst Mistakes The Hunger Games Made
- Hunger Games: Catching Fire: A textual analysis of Collins’ novels, Twilight, and Potter too.
- Is Government the Only Force Able to End Amazon Dominance?
- J.J. Abrams Tells Us What Will Make ‘Star Wars’ ‘Infinitely Better’
- Not All Small Presses Are Equal, according to Amazing Stories.
- Omnipotence is Impotence: Or Why Control Freaks Make Poor Fantasy Writers
- People Are Comparing ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ To ‘Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back’
- Republic of Thieves. the end! . . . or is it?
- The Son Who Collected Wonder Woman
- Where are tomorrow’s Science Fiction Grand Master writers? The legends of SF have have already been anointed. Who has a commanding enough talent to come next?
- Why is everybody laughing at Dan Brown? That’s what he wants: Dan Brown has been shortlisted for a National Book Award. He is often mocked by critics, but is a powerful and influential author, whose goals may be more complicated than Clive James or Peter Conrad suspect.
- The X-Files: 20 reasons why it’s one of TV’s defining shows (Part Two)
- A Zombie Apocalypse: Opening Representational Spaces for Alternative Constructions of Gender and Sexuality. Zombies have become an increasingly common figure in contemporary cultural landscapes around the world and South Africa is no exception. While scholars have tended to shy away from engaging with post-apocalyptic zombie fiction, this has started to change as it became apparent that these texts offer rich possibilities for exploring alternative constructions of gender and sexuality.
- Interview: Doctor Who writer Mark Gatiss on why he loves all things TARDIS
- Interview: Doctor Who writers Neil Gaiman and Terrance Dicks talk to The Register
- Interview: Jenna-Louise Coleman: “You realise you’re in a special show when that happens…”
- Interview: Karen Gillan interview: My favourite Doctor Who moments
- 8 Reasons “The Day of the Doctor” Made Me (Almost) Completely Forgive Steven Moffat
- The 10 Best Christmas gifts for fans of the show
- 10 of the Craziest Doctor Who Stories That Almost Happened
- 10 questions after watching the new Doctor Who special
- 11 Golden Moments from 50 years of the BBC sci-fi smash
- 15 nostalgic classic Doctor Who hat-tips in the Day of the Doctor – what did you spot?
- 20 Fantastic Cosplay Photos from the ‘Doctor Who’ Celebration
- After 50 Years, Regeneration Keeps ‘Doctor Who’ Current
- Colin Baker thanks Russell T Davies for saving Doctor Who
- The Day of the Doctor: 10 things we learned
- Doctor Who: 50 great scary moments
- Doctor Who: 50 Things you didn’t Know: Disastrous auditions, lawsuits, and a near-miss with Michael Jackson… 50 Doctor Who facts you may not know
- Doctor Who: The bluffer’s guide Or… 13 things you need to know to sound like a fan
- Doctor Who’s Jewish roots
- Doctor Who: who is the best Doctor? As Doctor Who celebrates its 50th, it’s time to study the numbers and settle this once and for all. Well, maybe.
- Doctor Who: Modern Shows are too reliant on being fast and furious
- Doctor Who 50th: a guide to the 11 Doctors
- Doctor Who are you? Find out which Doctor you are most like with our superb flowchart
- Doctor Who Christmas spoilers: Matt Smith is final, Thirteenth Doctor, Steven Moffat reveals
- Doctor Who in numbers: Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary episode is set to air on Saturday and to celebrate we’ve picked some key Doctor Who numbers
- Doctor Who’s least fearsome foes, not counting that bunny from the 50th Anniversary special.
- Doctor Who star Matt Smith tells Peter Capaldi: Nothing can prepare you for the experience
- Doctor Who timeline: click-through guide to 50 years of Doctor Who
- Doctor Who’s who: the ultimate guide to the man in the Tardis
- The Doctor Who’s who of Time Lord assistants – where are they now?
- A female Doctor Who? Five stars that would fit the bill.
- Five reasons for the enduring appeal of Doctor Who
- For Matt Smith, it’s been a ‘nutty and silly’ ride
- From William Hartnell to Matt Smith: What the Doctors did next
How Doctor Who Survived 50 Years:
Infectious optimism, a sense of adventure, and limitless storytelling
possibilities: For a low-budget kids’ show, the BBC’s original concept
packed a lot of promise.
- How Likely is an Eighth Doctor Spin-off?
How regeneration has helped make Doctor Who a worldwide TV phenomenon
that has thrilled for 50 years: Concept meant that the show could run
and run, with a change of actor often bringing a new lease of life to
the Time Lord’s travels
- How to take the ultimate Doctor Who holiday: London, Wales and, of course, the TARDIS
- I have Doctor Who to thank for what I do now
- Is Doctor Who a lefty? From genocide to Thatcherism, Whovian politics are not that simple
- Is Tom Baker still the ultimate Doctor?
- Steven Moffat: It Was Stupid Of BBC To Cancel Doctor Who
- The surprising struggles — and heart — behind ‘Doctor Who’s’ birth
- The Time Lord Test: Which Doctor are you?
- What is the greatest Doctor Who story of all time?
Who is Doctor Who? Meet the BBC’s beloved sci-fi hero
Meet the dedicated fans of the Doctor keeping the Who-niverse alive
- Who was the best Doctor Who?
- Why I’m not a Whovian
- Writers Explain Why ‘Doctor Who’ is ‘Like Writing Seven Shows At Once’
Science and Technology
More Fun Stuff
- Sci-fi short film “After the Disco” featuring ‘Star Trek’ and ‘House of Cards’ stars
- Sword & Laser #152 – Ancillary Justice Wrap-up with Author Ann Leckie.
- Ellen Datlow’s photos from the KGB Reading on November 20 with Mercurio D. Rivera and James Patrick Kelly.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!