SF/F/H Link Post for 2013-11-27
Interviews & Profiles
- Bookotron has posted an interview with mother – son duo Anne and Christopher Rice, author of The Wolves of Midwinter and The Heavens Rise, respectively.
- Bookworm Blues profiles The Incredible Tad Williams!
- Diabolical Plots interviews Jeanne Cavelos of Odyssey Workshop
- Fantasy Faction speaks with Stefan Bachmann, author of the steampunk-fantasy novel The Peculiar.
- J.J. Abrams happy with new release date for Episode VII
- Junot Diaz and Tobias Buckell are this week’s guests on the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy.
- LightSpeed has an interview with Ryan North, creator of the popular web comic Dinosaur Comics, which has run for over two thousand issues using the exact same art and panel layout.
- Literary Escapism has an interview with author Paula Altenburg, who is celebrating the release of her new novel, Black Widow Demon.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Joseph Nassise of Watcher of the Dark (Jeremiah Hunt Chronicles).
- The Qwillery interviews Mark Henry of Parts & Wreck.
- Suvudu has posted a video of a Terry Brooks interview conducted in Italy.
- Princess Bride Playing Cards – Inconceivable! An amazing new illustrative deck based on the movie.
- Sam Sweetmilk – A comedy in the vein of Hitchiker’s Guide, Adventure Time and Archer. We made a 25-minute pilot, help us animate our next episode!
- THE SQUIDDER – An original graphic novel from Ben Templesmith about an old soldier from a forgotten war now in an alien world.
- Steampunk Holmes – Sherlock Holmes vs. Captain Nemo in an enhanced, interactive iPad adventure book set in a steampunk universe.
- Review: No Easy Way to Be Free: A Review of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- 10 Movies That Really Need Robots
- The 35 Greatest Easter Eggs From The “Doctor Who” 50th Anniversary
- Alan Moore: ‘Why shouldn’t you have a bit of fun while with the deepest issues of the mind?‘
- Are Book Machines the Right Fit for Indies?
- The Bechdel Test for Gender Bias: Bad for Movies, Good for TV
- CGI is killing the modern horror film
- Dear Video Game Developers, Hire Real Writers!
- The difficulty with Doctor Who, and why I love it anyway
- Do you like your books rare, or well-done?
- Don’t miss the first episode of the new SciFi Ideas podcast, in which David and Mark discuss a range of topics from terraforming Venus to the BBC children’s animation The Clangers.
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: Whose revolution is it? Jennifer Lawrence dominates a gripping second chapter — but is “The Hunger Games” for the left or the Tea Party?
- Marion Zimmer Bradley Rejected Me in 1994
- My Life in the Bush of Books: Embarrassment of Riches
- Outlook Grim for Public Libraries
- Remembrances — Classic Science Fiction Books
- This is How Huge Door-stopper Fantasy Novels Get Made
- Title and Poster For Doctor Who Christmas Special Revealed!
- Weaponized libraries and the delights of 50 years of Doctor Who
- When Science Fiction Is Science Fiction
- Why Women in Genre Will Not Be Completed
- Young people prefer printed books to e-books, survey finds
Science and Technology
- Did ‘Suit of Armor’ Allow Viruses to Survive on Ancient Mars?
- Millionaire revises plan for Mars flyby in 2018: Now it’s up to NASA
- NASA outlines the final steps in plan for next manned spaceships
- NASA Will Try To Grow Plants On The Moon In 2015
- The Star as Starship – Moving entire stars rather than building spaceships would have certain benefits as a way of traveling through the galaxy. I’m pretty sure I already read this book. It didn’t turn out well for humans.
- Zombies Are All About The Heteronormative Power Struggle
More Fun Stuff
- 92nd Street Y Launches a New Online Archive with 1,000 Recordings of Literary Readings & More
- Author Garrett Calcaterra is offering Wulfram, the prequel to his novel The Dreamwielder, free of charge for the Wattpad through his blog.
- Download The Emperor’s Blades Chapters 1-7 For Free!
- Watch PBS’s hour-long 1981 documentary on Raiders of the Lost Ark
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!