SF/F/H Link Post for 2013-11-29
Interviews & Profiles
- David J Rodger speaking at the launch party for his new book, The Social Club.
- Gingernuts of Horror features Five Minutes with Adrian Ludens of Bedtime Stories for Carrion Beetles.
- Conferences and interviews from the big Utopiales 13 science fiction festival in Nantes: Chris Fross, Max Brooks, Norman Spinrad, Orson Scott Card, and Peter Watts.
- Literary Escapism welcomes Mike Phillips, who is celebrating the release of The World Below.
- Saldin Ahmed on Writing Muslim American Fantasy
- World War Z author Max Brooks shares ‘Shadow Walk’ inspiration
- Most expensive book ever sold at auction fetches $14 million – Spears
- Parents not keen on reading ebooks to kids
- DYSCOURSE: Survivors, Choose Wisely. – A PC survival game like you’ve never seen. Emergent story, group psychology, and the struggle to endure, in the absurd Owlchemy style. Imagine an animated version of JJ Abrams’ Lost.
- Festival of Magic – Plants vs. Zombies invented the idea of raising plants for combat, and Festival of Lights is on Kickstarter hoping to intrigue people with the idea of growing plants to use in turn-based combat in a persistent world. “The game combines turn-based combat and farming gameplay with exploration and puzzle-packed quests. Grow spuds, tend barnacles and use your harvest as powerful ammunition and spells; load your weapons, team up your companions and get ready for a grand adventure!”
- Review: Orphan Black: an enjoyably complex new sci-fi thriller
- 8 Superhero Origins the Movies Got Right (and 8 That They Messed Up)
- 62 YA books to give as gifts this holiday season
- Beyond the Hunger Games: the 10 best sci-fi sports films
- Controversies Inside the World of Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Culling The Classics: The Chronicles of Narnia
- Do you like your books rare, or well-done?
- E.L. Doctorow Goes Fight Club on the National Book Awards
- Five sci-fi films that are like a religious experience
- Harlan Ellison Script Book Includes A Story He Wrote For The Logan’s Run TV Series And More
- How buildings are used in sci-fi films
- The Hunger Games: Hollywood’s most self-contradictory movie franchise
- Katniss Everdeen: Dystopian Sci-Fi Role Model
- The NaNoWriMo Dialogues: “What An Excellent Day For An Exorcism”
- NPR has a great piece on Catching Fire‘s reversal of traditional gender roles called What Really Makes Katniss Stand Out? Peeta, Her Movie Girlfriend.
- Preparing for a Productive Writing Day
- A Science Fiction Thanksgiving
- Scientifically proven – almost: Ebooks damage sleep, destroy brain cells, make dogs sleep with cats… erode the environment and make babies cry.
- TeleRead’s Best Reads of 2013
- A Thankful Writer’s Top 10 List
- UK Government To Storm Their Gates?
- What franchise would benefit from an anthology based on it’s expanded universe?
- What To Serve At A Klingon Thanksgiving
- Where Film Marries Video Game
- Which Three Skills Do You Need To Make It In Publishing?
- Who’s More Creative – eReader or Tablet Users
- Writer’s code: Vikram Chandra on the convergence of writing computer programmes and fiction. An excerpt from his book Mirrored Mind: My Life in Letters and Code
- The writers who would be gamers.
Science and Technology
- Rhys Darby’s Reasons to be Scared of the Future
- Science Fiction is Swiftly Becoming Fact
- Shell-Worlds: How Humanity Could Terraform Small Planets
- Students Build Cute Robot of ‘Fembot’ Singer Robyn [VIDEO]
- This Video Game Could Revolutionize Publishing—and Reading With its use of sound and interactivity, the Device 6 app isn’t a novel. … Right?
- 7 Bookish Craft Projects to Put You in the Christmas Spirit
- Art depicting the worlds of Ray Bradbury: Ray Bradbury’s passing was a loss for everyone who enjoys storytelling in all of its forms. Not the least of which are artists and illustrators. Bradbury’s tone, the poetry and atmosphere of his worlds, have inspired artists for decades.
- Blade Runner, Aliens, Terminator, And More Get Gorgeous Noir-Style Poster Art
- Cool Bookish Places: Conarte Children’s Library
More Fun Stuff
- Cover Reveal: Black Dog by Rachel Neumeier
- Mash-Up Mean Girls and The Hobbit and you get “Mean Elves“
- The Magic: The Gathering puppet musical exists. Why haven’t you watched it yet?
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!