SF Signal Readers’ Choice: What was Your Favorite SF/F/H Film of 2013?

The end of the year is often a time of reflection and, more importantly, list making!

Help us compile a list of the best genre films of the year by telling us which science fiction, fantasy and/or horror films were your favorites. These do not have to necessarily be films that were originally released this year — we are more interested in the best films that you consumed for the first time in 2013.

Sound off in the comments!

About John DeNardo (13014 Articles)
<p>John DeNardo is the Managing Editor at SF Signal and a columnist at Kirkus Reviews. He also likes bagels. So there.</p>

23 Comments on SF Signal Readers’ Choice: What was Your Favorite SF/F/H Film of 2013?

1. Gnash Chick (@Gnashchick) // December 27, 2013 at 12:49 am //

Europa Report: My favorite for hard science and convincing portrayal of life and work in space.

2. I thought Gravity was fantastic and it is a film I will be happy to own, though I’m not sure it is one I can see myself re-watching on a consistent basis. The same with Europa Report which I thought was also excellent.

So while those films may be ones I would consider as “best”, my “favorite” SF film of the year is Oblivion. I know it beats the same dead trope horses and Tom Cruise does nothing more than play his normal character, but the film grabbed hold of my imagination and each time I watch it I’ve enjoyed it.

And of course on the Fantasy side my favorite is The Desolation of Smaug which I thought was a nice second chapter of the Hobbit trilogy.

3. Gravity is my absolute favorite this year. I also greatly enjoyed Elysium, Oblivion and Pacific Rim.

4. I cannot think of one I’ve really liked.

5. I really loved Pacific Rim! That movie was just pure fun. I need to rewatch that movie again.

Star Trek Into Darkness….is harder to figure out where I stand. I love all the Star Trek films, but I feel betrayed by the reboot for rewriting history. I hope in whatever next phase Star Trek goes through after Abrams Trek, they’ll ignore this universe and go back to the old one.

Hunger Games is my other favorite, I really like what they did with this one, and the character development. It really worked for me.

2013 was one of the best years for movies that I can remember. Just the number of SF/F movies that came out is impressive alone. I love how science fiction movies are making more of a comeback again. 2014 is going to have its work cut out to compare to 2013.

6. Harry Blanchard // December 27, 2013 at 10:10 am //

I missed many of the 2013 sf movies this year, more because of time rather than the relentless bad press they all seemed to get, but of them:

PACIFIC RIM, as pure fun, you must simple not expect it to be Citizen Kane, right?
    THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG – it took me a while to get over the “aargh that’s not in the book” reaction, but letting it be its own movie, it’s pretty good.

Of the non-2013 movies, recently I saw TROLL HUNTER which I somehow missed when it first came around, and it was utterly delightful, a chuckle a minute.

• Marcos Valdez // December 31, 2013 at 5:38 pm //

Pacific Rim is the Citizen Kane of giant robot and kaiju movies.

That is to say, I like it a lot more than Citizen Kane.

7. “Gravity” was the best SFF film I’ve watched the whole year. But “Pacific Rim” was the movie I enjoyed the most in a long, long time. Watched it two times, had a blast both times. Definitely my favourite.

(“Europa Report” was great too, but it didn’t premiere on this side of the Atlantic. Had to watch it… elsewhere)

8. Duck Dodgers // December 27, 2013 at 11:07 am //

About Time (come on, Bill Nighy!), Iron Man 3, Red 2, Europa Report – all good.

Pacific Rim, Oblivion, Ender’s Game (Ford was o.k.) – great visual design, weak scripting.

Gravity – well, an absolutely visually beautiful and genius of creativity film wasted on a stupid, weak, and totally unlikeable character. Lost interest completely in the film because of her. Could not have cared less.

Have to agree with Mr. Blanchard above…TROLL HUNTER – bought it and will watch it again. (The American remake will fail of course, as it should.)

RARE EXPORTS – Now that’s how you do Evil Santa!

9. Gravity, hands down, and despite some wild errors in physics, it was still amazing to watch.

10. Steve Oerkfitz // December 27, 2013 at 2:56 pm //

Gravity was easily the best. Pacific Rim was fun but del Toro has done better films.
    Disliked Oblivion, Elysium and Iron Man 3(not a big fan of superhero movies).
    Troll Hunter was about as good as a cheesy SFY TV movie.
    Haven’t seen The Hobbitb 2 yet.

11. Ryan Viergutz // December 27, 2013 at 7:02 pm //

I don’t watch much film so it’s not saying a lot. 🙂

But I LOVED Pacific Rim. It pulled me into the theatre twice and I snatched it up as soon as possible. Between the jaegers vs kaiju and the Drift, it was like genuinely made for me.

It even included a small nonexistent nod to me, in that the movie had a “Csaba Wagner” working on it. I wrote about a character named “Tristessa Csaba” in one of my mecha stories. 🙂

12. David Greybeard // December 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm //

I’m going with PACIFIC RIM and STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS.

13. Nick Sharps // December 27, 2013 at 9:25 pm //

“The World’s End” or “Riddick” for me.

14. Golden Voyage of Sinbad came out on Blu-ray. All other considerations are rescinded.

OK, for films actually released in 2013 I have to go with Gravity and Pacific Rim.

15. Gravity was my favorite for the year. Oblivion was a distant second.

16. Mars et Avril although a kooky love story this was by far the best sci-fi I have seen produced in a long while. The budget was way low and the effects are stunning. Canadian French but there is an American release now.

17. Brian Hiebert // December 28, 2013 at 10:32 pm //

Pacific Rim best by far
    Iron Man 3
    Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
    Star Trek: Into Darkness (flawed but entertaining, saw what the filmmakers were trying to do, and though it was a near impossible task they came close).

Did not like Man of Steel.

18. No love for 47 Ronin? It’s fresh in my mind since we just saw it yesterday, but I enjoyed it more than The Hobbit or Pacific Rim – the two other sci-fi/fantasy movies I saw in the theater this year.

Europa Report was also very good.

Looking at the math problem below, I can see I’ll have to study up before I’m able to submit this post.

19. Marcos Valdez // December 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm //

Pacific Rim is the greatest movie of all time.

That’s right, I said it. Fight me!

20. “Europa Report” was easily the best. Way more intelligent than the aggressively conventional “Gravity.”

21. Gravity was very good. I also enjoyed The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug quite a bit, thought it had much better pacing than the first Hobbit. Pacific Rim was great visually. It was fun and well worth seeing on the big screen.

I was disappointed in Elysium. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were fair, The Wolverine was a little better. I have higher hopes for Captain America: The Winter Solider.

I need to see Europa Report, Ender’s Game, Oblivion and Man of Steel.