SF/F/H Link Post for 2013-12-14
Interviews & Profiles
- The Feminist Science Fiction Seminar interviews Pacific Northwest science fiction author Vonda N. McIntyre, 3-time winner of the Nebula Award and winner of the 1979 Hugo Award for her acclaimed novel Dreamsnake.
- Geek Planet Online interviews Danie Ware, author of what she describes as “sardonic fantasy” novels Ecko Rising, Ecko Burning and the forthcoming Ecko Endgame. Ware is also the event organiser for Forbidden Planet in London.
- Good Reads has an interview with Marissa Meyer, author of Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress.
- Over at SFx, Edgar Wright talks Ant-Man.
- The Qwillery interviews Sonja Condit, author of Starter House
- Suvudu has posted Spreecast Q & A session with Pandemic author Scott Sigler, who discusses the zombie lit market. Look for Pandemic, the third volume in the Infected series, on January 21, 2014.
- The Time of the Doctor Cast Interviews
- This is Horror interviews Wayne Simmons, the bestselling author of Flu.
- Locus Roundatble asks: what is making you feel optimistic about the future of science fiction these days?
- Game Of Thrones’ Emilia Clarke will play Sarah Connor in the Terminator reboot. Prepare for the fan mash-ups to kick into overdrive!
- John Klima of Electric Velocipede and Steve Berman of Icarus: The Magazine of Gay Speculative Fiction announced recently that their magazines are closing.
- Karen Burnham steps down from Locus Roundtable, Alvaro Zinos-Amaro picks up teh reigns.
- Athena’s Daughters: Women in Science Fiction and Fantasy – a collection of short speculative fiction by some of the industry’s best female authors, including Mary Robinette Kowal, Gail Z. Martin, and more.
- Project Nimbus – High speed mech game that takes action in the sky, dodge and intercept incoming missiles, fight armies of hostiles, save the Earth.
- Reviews: “The Tales and Songs Fall Utterly Short of Your Enormity…” The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. “if you’re going to miss one of these Hobbit movies, this one shouldn’t be it because HOLY SHIT DRAGON.”
- The animated 47 Ronin prequel shows off its fantasy world
- Dangerous Women boasts equal-opportunity destroyers
- E-books vs. Printed Books – A look at the numbers
- Five Stages of Reading the Novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Here’s Where Peter Jackson Would Have Split The Hobbit Had It Been Two Movies
- Kim Stanley Robinson on The Fall & Rise of Utopias…
- The New Yorkers considers the question of Our Greatest Political Novelist
- NYTimes Stories by Howard Waldrop and Catherynne M. Valente.
- Online publications see a future in print
- The Pleasures of Reading, Viewing, and Listening in 2013
- The Practical Orc You Won’t See in ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’
- Real Life Diagnostics: Hooks and POV in an Epic Fantasy Prologue
- A Realistic View of Royalty: The Beggar Queen
- Scott Eagan explains that Writing Is Not A Private Activity
- The secret origins of nerd, dork, and other things you’ve been called
- Superhero And Sci-Fi Movies Dominate StumbleUpon
- Terry Pratchett talks about his first job over at the Huffington Post.
- The Top 10 Things You May Not Know About Legolas the Elf
- Tor.com Reviewers’ Choice: The Best Books of 2013
- Which science fiction classic should be the next HBO box set? HBO’s award-winning adaptations are novelistic in ambition, but TV executives hoping to follow Game of Thrones should look to the stars
- White Horses in Mythology and How one Inspired Me
- Why I Turned Down a Three-Book New York Print Deal to Self-Publish
- Why The New ‘Hobbit’ Films Don’t Measure Up To ‘The Lord of the Rings’ Trilogy
- Writing Vs. Publishing (Or: “No More Half-Measures, Walter”)
Science and Technology
- A 3-D printed hand-cranked punch card computer
- Jupiter’s icy moon Europa ‘spouts water’, and I just know that this is going to be the MacGuffin of some sci-fi story any day now. Maybe as a place to tank up on the way out of the solar system?
- Was the early universe a better environment for life to evolve?
- How to Make Your Own Star Wars, TARDIS, and Mario Holiday Decorations… Out of Lego
More Fun Stuff
- Doctor Who music video: Take On Me
- Geeking OUT vlog recaps LGBT in the Whedonverse.
- Now In Marketing: Poster Quotes From People Who Aren’t Even Pretending To Have Seen The Film
- Read a sample chapter of Shadowplay by Laura Lam.
- Read the I, Frankenstein Genesis Motion Comic online now.
- Watch how stop-motion artists brought AT-ATs to life for the Battle of Hoth
- With only a matter of days left in the reign of Matt Smith as The Doctor, fans are in a frenzy, shipping him with practically every character in fandom. Sherlock is coming out as an early favorite, as evidenced in the tsunami of “WHOLOCK” fan videos. Here’s one of the best of them: WHOLOCK: Sherlock meets The Doctor.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!