SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-01-11
Interviews & Profiles
- Carolina Book Beat interviews Lisa Shearin, author of The Grendel Affair.
- Could this be the Last Alan Moore Interview?
- Enchanted Inkpot interviews Sara B. Larson, author of Defy
- Europa SF has an interview with the Greek Writer Kostas Paradias
- Locus Online has posted an interview with Nancy Kress and Jack Skillingstead [via Alexandre Maki]
- My Bookish Ways interviews Lisa Shearin, author of The Grendel Affair
- My Shelf Confessions interviews Carrie Vaughn on her novel Kitty and the Midnight Hour
- The Qwillery interviews Lord of the Hunt author Shona Husk.
- This Writing Life follows up with Cassandra Rose Clarke, author of The Mad Scientist’s Daughter.
- Could Scotland house European spaceport?
- Scribd Responds to Writer Beware on Pirated Content [via Paul Di Filippo]
Events & Event News
- Mark Your Calendars for the CRESS Launch Party and Livestream! [via Alexandre Maki]
- Carrie Vaughn has announced a series of book signings. [via Alexandre Maki]
- 14 Terrifying Japanese Monsters, Myths and Spirits
- 2014’s most promising sci-fi and fantasy films: Week in geek’s picks
- All the Essential Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Coming in 2014
- The autumnal Science Fact & Science Fiction Concatenation is now up.
- At least one ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ character will get a proper finale. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- A Book’s Vocabulary Is Different If It Was Written During Hard Economic Times
- BuzzFeed ranks 117 Buffyverse Characters from Worst to Best.
- Digital publishing: the experts’ view of what’s next: Industry luminaries scry the spins ahead in the helter skelter revolution at the centre of their business
- Don’t Anyone Put Me in Charge: By my count, half of the top 10 bestselling science fiction authors on Amazon right now are self-published or published with Amazon.
- The Eagle and Dan Dare: My First Exposure to SF
- The enduring legacy of the Star Trek: TNG writers’ room
- Great ebook deals in Fantasy, Urban Fantasy and SF, as chosen by My Bookish Ways.
- How Agents of Shield made me regain my appreciation for Star Trek: TNG
- I Love Science Fiction, But I Don’t Love THAT
- io9 offer this complete guide to the Anime of 2014
- Jamie Todd Rubin discusses Writing in the First 10 Days of 2014
- The legend of Buffy. This article delves into why we are still talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Mark Onspaugh considers The Allure of the Older Hero
- Mathematical Model of Zombie Epidemics Reveals Two Types of Living-Dead Infections: Data gathered from horror movies show there are two strains of zombie infection and that both can be modeled in the same way as influenza
- My Class Starts Today: Brandon Sanderson discusses his Brigham Young University course, entitled “How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy.”
- Of Awards Eligibility Lists and Unbearable Smugness
- Readers Don’t Get Fatigued; Editors Do., according to Hugh Howey.
- Sci-fi & Fantasy: Out With the Old, In With the New
- Scientists find secret to writing a best-selling novel: Computer scientists have developed an algorithm which can predict with 84 per cent accuracy whether a book will be a commercial success – and the secret is to avoid cliches and excessive use of verbs
- Should books be compelled to go extinct? Teleread considers the issue.
- Should public libraries give away e-book-friendly tablets to poor people?
- The Staff of Shelf Talk recommend some Science Fiction titles.
- Stanisaw Lem’s Summa Technologiae portrays a grim and sober singularity
- Straight White Dudes Go To Mars: when sexuality gets used to create strangeness in sci-fi?
- We Are All Sci-Fi Writers: Making Use of Time Travel in Writing
More Fun Stuff
- 55 fan filmmakers have made an insane shot-for-shot remake of RoboCop
- All Souls Trilogy Final Book Cover Revealed
- Ask XKCD: If a T-rex were released in New York City, how many humans/day would it need to consume to get its needed calorie intake?
- CSIRO apologises for lack of research on dragons
- Fisher and Shatner continue the Trek vs. Wars feud
- Joss Whedon Willing to Trade J.J. Abrams Thor for Ewoks and Make Cinderella an Avenger
- Read an excerpt from Next Novel, Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
- Read an excerpt from Three Princes the debut novel from Ramona Wheeler [via Alexandre Maki]
- Real Mech to be Featured in Live-Action “Patlabor” movie.
- The Smithsonian will exhibit Images of Mars captured by Spirit and Opportunity.
- Star Trek Fan spends $30,000 to Turn Her Basement into the Enterprise
- Watch Five Vine Teasers From Game of Thrones Season 4; Trailer to Premiere Sunday
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!