SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-01-16
Interviews & Profiles
- Sword & Laser Podcast interviews Ian Tregillis.
- The Skiffy and Fanty Show Podcast interviews Lavie Tidhar.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Emma Jane Holloway.
- The Reader/Writer Podcast asks Adam Christopher, Andrew Mayne, Christopher Morse and Starla Huchton about their experience writing in the superhero genre.
- Dianne K. Salerni interviews Eden Unger Bowditch, author of The Young Inventors Guild series.
- The Qwillery interviews Jenn Bennett, author of the Roaring Twenties and Arcadia Bell series.
- Trevor Hogg chats with production designer Phil Messina about the worldbuilding involved with The Hunger Games franchise.
- The Austin American-Statesman on Neal Barrett Jr., 1929-2014.
- The Worlds of Philip José Farmer 4 – Coming this Spring.
- ChiZine Publications 2014 Summer/Fall Catalogue.
Events & Event News
- Hugh Howey’s meet-up in Seattle WA, January 16th.
- Carrie Vaughn’s book tour continues in Cincinnati OH (January 16th), Raleigh NC (January 17th) and Atlanta GA (January 18th).
- Guy Gavriel Kay’s Literary Event in Saratoga CA, January 18th.
- Jim C. Hines’ schedule for MarsCon in Williamsburg VA, January 17th-19th.
- Howard Tayler’s schedule for Legendarily ConFusion in Dearborn MI, January 17th-19th.
- Kameron Hurley’s schedule for Legendarily ConFusion in Dearborn MI, January 17th-19th.
- Brian McClellan’s schedule for Legendarily ConFusion in Dearborn MI, January 17th-19th.
- Rae Carson’s schedule for Legendarily ConFusion in Dearborn MI, January 17th-19th.
- Nancy Hightower and DT Friedman at the NY Review of Science Fiction Readings in New York NY, February 4th.
- John G. Hemry on Millions for Special Effects, Not One Cent for Writers.
- Michael J. Sullivan on Generating Marketing Buzz.
- John DeNardo on Read Them Now, Watch Them Later: Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Adaptation Watch.
- The Huffington Post Books says Dystopias Aren’t Just Great Literary Fun, They’re Excellent Social Barometers.
- Jessica Khoury asks Is It Science Fiction?.
- The Guardian Books Blog commits thoughtcrime by asking 1984: the romantic film. Love the idea?.
- Kameron Hurley on My Peculiar Passion for Speculative Fiction.
- Terri Hurley (Kameron’s mother) on My Passion for Popular Fiction.
- Lesley Connor on Taking Flowers for Algernon.
- Nnedi Okorafor says African Science Fiction is Still Alien.
- Niall Alexander on How You Ruined the Hugos.
- Catherynne M. Valente’s Traditional Awards Eligibility Post.
- Guy Gavriel Kay talks about readings, interviews, signings and Appearing near you…
- Ann Aguirre is Riding the Dragon. It’s about writing, not the taming of mythical beasts.
- Dan O’Shea tells What Writing About Taxes Taught Me About Writing Fiction.
- Hugh Howey shares his opinion on Non-Compete Clauses: A Live Case Study.
- Charles Stross on The next big thing, regarding writing and publishing trends. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Meg Rosoff on Two Ways to Look at It, where she lists the writer’s friends and the writer’s enemies.
- K.M. Weiland asks Are You Emptying Yourself Into Your Writing?.
- Megan Shepherd shares her Lessons From A Debut Year.
- Malinda Lo on Construction metaphors and different ways of writing.
- Delilah S. Dawson teaches Plotting: How to Pants.
- Paul Weimer reviews A Guile of Dragons (by James Enge).
- Rachel Cantor on her novel A Highly Unlikely Scenario, or a Neetsa Pizza Employee’s Guide to Saving the World.
- Den of Geek on 25 Time Travelers Not From Gallifrey.
- Tor.com on Erased by Time and Blockbusters — The Cautionary Tale of Ron Weasley.
- Tor.com on Always a Time Traveler’s Girlfriend, Never a Time Traveler: Rachel McAdams and Science Fiction’s Weirdest Typecasting.
- LitReactor on It’s Made Of Science: Aliens.
- ‘Motherland Chronicles’ (by Zhang Jingna and Tobias Kwan) combines photography and fantasy art like nothing you’ve seen before. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The art of Wesley Burt.
- Cloud Atlas concept art: Neo Seoul 2144 (by StefanMorrell).
More Fun Stuff
- After The Fires Went Out: Coyote – Episode Eleven, Part 3 – Saturday, January 19th (by Regan Wolfrom).
- See The Original Alice In Wonderland Manuscript, Handwritten & Illustrated By Lewis Carroll (1864). [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Short story: Nighttime in Caeli-Amur (by Rjurik Davidson).
- Excerpt: The Burning Dark (by Adam Christopher).
- Excerpt: Wolves(by Simon Ings).
- Comics: Preview of She-Hulk #1 (by Charles Soule and Javier Pulido).
- Podcast: Welcome to Night Vale – Episode 39 – The Woman from Italy.
- Vlog: Talkin’ Comics Weekly – Miracleman: A Dream of Flying (by Amy Dallen for Geek & Sundry).
- Video: How to fossilize…yourself. A TED-Ed lesson by Phoebe A. Cohen, animated by Anton Bogaty..
- Video: Linking human brains. A TEDx talk by Ramez Naam.
- Videos: Computers Watching Movies (by Benjamin Grosser). It shows what a computational system sees when it watches the same films that we do.
- Video: How The Desolation of Smaug Should Have Ended.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!