SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-01-17
Interviews & Profiles
- Huffington Post Books interviews Peter S. Beagle.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Sarah Pinborough.
- Suvudu interviews Peter Clines on problematic characters and movie adaptations of his Ex-Heroes series.
- BuzzFeed profiles V. C. Andrews.
- Chuck Wendig asks J.C. Daniels ten questions about Broken Blade.
- Start Publishing interviews Zachary Jernigan.
- Reddit AMA with Gregory Wilson.
- Stellar Four interviews Jenn Bennett.
- The Qwillery interviews M. L. Brennan.
- Part one of the full submissions list for the 2014 Arthur C. Clarke Award.
- DUFF (Down Under Fan Fund) Race Announced.
- 1960s ‘Batman’ TV Show Finally Coming to DVD, Blu-ray.
- The AudioBookaneers’ Release Week in SF/F audiobooks.
Events & Event News
- Brandon Sanderson will be live streaming a writing session for Worldbuilders tonight.
- Sandman 25th Anniversary Tribute Art Show Opening Reception at Mission: Comics & Art in San Franciso CA, January 18th.
- The Last Unicorn screening with author Peter S. Beagle being interviewed by George R.R. Martin at the Jean Cocteau Cinema in Santa Fe NM, January 25th.
- As part of the Fantastic Fiction free reading series, Ellen Datlow and Matthew Kressel present Felix Gilman & Kiini Ibura Salaam. February 19th, 7pm at KGB Bar in NYC.
- Electric Velocipede: Issue 27 Release Party – and Memorial Service at Bluestockings Books in New York NY, February 28th.
- Loncon 3 Photography Competition. Closing date is April 30th.
- Author D&D III (Cherie Priest, Wesley Chu, Kelley Armstrong, Sam Sykes, Myke Cole, Rich Morris, Howard Taylor) at Legendary ConFusion in Dearborn MI, January 18th.
- M.L. Brennan on Making Elves Into Nightmares!
- The Bathroom Monologues asks Manly? Examining Paul S. Kemp’s Criteria for “Masculine” Characters.
- The OF Blog analyzes Award nomination frenzies and economies of scale.
- Joe Abercrombie on The Authority of Print.
- Mary Robinette Kowal on Finding space to write in the cracks of time.
- Gareth L. Powell lists Five Things I Learned Writing Hive Monkey.
- Patrick Hester reviews Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Gray by Frank J. Barbiere and Chris Mooneyham.
- The Daily Dot on ‘Attack on Titan’ creator gets the last word in debate over character’s gender. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Lauren Beukes on The myth of the elite psychopath.
- Book Riot on The Value of Young Reading Experiences.
- Cory Doctorow says Digital failures are inevitable, but we need them to be graceful.
- io9 on How to power a starship with an artificial black hole.
- The art of Jason Chan.
- Alice in Wonderland Illustrated by Ralph Steadman: A 1973 Gem. [via Paul Di Filippo]
More Fun Stuff
- Ellen Datlow’s pictures from the KGB event with Ennis Drake and Joe Hill.
- 30 Weird, Ridiculous, and/or Crappy Scifi Album Covers.
- Podcast: Beware the Hairy Mango – Episode 198: Hall Monitor.
- Podcast: Boars, Gore, and Swords – Episode 127: Black Mirror.
- Podcast: You Are Not So Smart – Episode 16: Steven Novella and Jesse Walker discuss the history and psychology of conspiracy theories.
- Excerpt: The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente.
- Excerpt: The Tropic of Serpents by Marie Brennan.
- Excerpt: Fic: Why Fanfiction Is Taking Over The World. This particular section (written by editor Anne Jamison) is about the early days of Sherlock Holmes fandom. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Audiobook Excerpt: Cress by Marissa Meyer.
- Novelette: The Body Project – Part II by Kameron Hurley.
- Book Trailer: Some Fine Day by Kat Ross.
- Video: How to Make a Jaeger – How Hard Was It to Design a Mecha in Pacific Rim?
- Short Film: Junk Head 1 by Takahide Hori. If you like stop motion animation, you’re gonna love this one. There’s also an interview with the creator if you’re interested.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!