Interviews & Profiles
- A Backwards Story interviews Megan Shepherd, author of Her Dark Curiosity.
- The Functional Nerds Podcast welcomes Ann Leckie, author of Ancillary Justice, to the show.
- How “Fear Agent” Brought Sci-Fi Back To Comics, an interview with Rick Remender and Tony Moore
- The Kindle Daily Post has an exclusive Q&A with comic book artist Mike Miller on illustrating George R. R. Martin’s “The Sworn Sword” and “The Hedge Knight“
- Reddit recently held a Confusion AMA for author Patrick S. Tomlinson. [via Alexandre Maki]
- Reddit recently held a Confusion AMA for Sports in Space author Matthew Alan Thyer.
- Reddit recently held a Confusion AMA for the Hugo winning editor of Electric Velocipede, John Klima.
- Reddit recently held a Confusion AMA for Broken Blade author J.C. Daniels. [via Alexandre Maki]
- Reddit recently held a Confusion AMA for The Desert of Souls author Howard Andrew Jones.
- We All Have Our Magical Thinking: An Interview with The Blue Place author Nicola Griffith
Events & Event News
- On February 6th, Angry Robot will release its 100th book, Hang Wire by Adam Christopher! They’re celebrating with a Goodreads giveaway, a sale on January 28th for a bundle of all 100 titles.
- On Tuesday 4th February Paul Cornell will be one of science comedian Helen Keen’s guests at Science-Fiction-Friction at the Royal Institution in London.
- SCI-FEST – The 1st Annual Los Angeles Science Fiction One-Act Play Festival
- Storykiller – A novel about a girl who learns that all Stories are real, even the monstrous ones. With illustrations by some of comics’ best artists!
- Review: Jim C. Hines reviews The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know About Robert Louis Stevenson
- The 10 Best ‘Monster of the Week’ Episodes of All Time
- 10 Books That Have Meant Something To Me
- 50 Greatest Geek Culture Movie Moments
- Amazing Stories takes us on a Self-publishing Odyssey: Part 1 The Decision
- The books that perfectly capture their authors’ philosophies
- Cannibalization of book sales: What if we’ve been asking the wrong question?
- Do Good Books Improve Us? “There is a real and deep-seated reluctance on the part of critics, connoisseurs, scholars and theorists to concede that the value of an excellent work of literature may reside almost entirely in the pleasure it affords us. The prevailing and pervasive attitude is that literature matters, it is important, ergo the ultimate value of good art lies in something more than mere enjoyment.”
- Entrances 2 Hell is an invaluable resource for any discerning demon hunter or subterranean hellscape tourist who might find themselves exploring the British Isles. It lists every entrance to Hell in the entire U.K. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Every Time Ichabod Is Confused By Modern Life on Sleepy Hollow
- Fanboys: Have you ever loved something so much it hurt?
- Hild and the triumph of the skeptical fantasy novel
- How do you hurt Superman? a guest by S M Reine at Fantasy Book Critic
- How the novelizations of your favorite TV and movies get made
- I am a Mad Scientist: Using Real Science to Help Write Science Fiction
- Infected trilogy author Scott Sigler: “A tattoo is the ultimate love letter from the fan to the creator”
- Is this life real? Philosophers and physicists say we might be living in a computer simulation, but how can we tell? And does it matter?
- It Takes The Time It Takes: Writing. Finishing. Editing. Publishing. Selling.
- John Scalzi takes a look at The Big Idea: Scott Sigler
- The Lawyer and the Scientist Who Predicted the Atomic Bomb in 1915
- Nominating Books and Stories for the Andre Norton Award and the Nebula Award
- “One of the best Superman moments never appeared in a Superman comic.” – Daniel Wallace
- Ranking The 31 Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Shows On TV Right Now
- The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison, a Guest Post by Lynn of Lynn’s Book Blog
- This Sucks and is Terrible or is Fantastic and Slathered in Nutella – Writing in Arcs by Myke Cole
- Timeline: Chi-Fi vs. Westin Chicago River North
- Tor.com explores Post-Binary Gender in SF
- Waking the Dragon: George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire
- What Makes Jo Walton So Great: Today is publication day for Jo Walton’s What Makes This Book So Great, a selection from her posts on Tor.com written between 2008 and 2011.
- When does multiverse speculation cross into fantasy? [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Whispersync Daily Deal: The Secret of Ji, Books 1 and 2, by Pierre Grimbert, translated by Matt Ross and Eric Lamb, narrated by Michael Page
- With One Magic Word: The Miraculous Revival of Marvelman
- Steampunk Without Steam: What’s Left?
- These Star Wars Love pillowcases by SatMorningPancakes are up for sale on Etsy.
- This Joker medieval armor will make you wish Gotham had a Ren faire.
More Fun Stuff
- Brian Trent’s story “A Matter of Shapespace” has been selected by fans and readers as the 2013 Apex Magazine Story of the Year!
- Cover reveal for Macaque Attack by Gareth L. Powell
- “Death Knight Love Story,” is a World of Warcraft-based machinima fanfilm. It was made using full ‘Avatar’-style motion capture, with a score composed by a BAFTA nominated composer and voiced by Hollywood stars!” The whole thing’s available as a direct download, or as a torrent.
- Dragon Ball Z Fight In Real Life!
- Game of Thrones: On the Set Featurette
- Incidental Comic’s latest strip is entitled “Fahrenheit 351“
- The Kindle Daily Post offers an excerpt from Halo: Initiation by Brian Reed and Dave Marshall.
- Lady Gaga Reads from Stanislaw Lem’s classic “Solaris” for Marina Abramovic Institute
- Read an excerpt of Storykiller by Kelly Thompson.
- Read an Excerpt from Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters Six, Eight, and Nine
- This Austrian NFL Game Promo pays homage to A Game of Thrones
- Which Hogwarts House Do You Belong In