SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-01-25
Interviews & Profiles
- Angry Robot interviews Nexus and Crux author Ramez Naam
- Chang-rae Lee: By the Book. The New York Times interviews On Such a Full Sea.
- Dan Howarth interviews Simon Kurt Unsworth, the author of Quiet Houses and The Sorrowful.
- The Fantasy Book Critic interviews Dirty Magic author Jaye Wells
- The Girl with All the Gifts Blog Tour: A Chat with M.R. Carey
- Lauren Beukes on violence and The Shining Girls
- My Bookish Ways interviews John Dixon, author of Phoenix Island
- The North American and Australia / New Zealand administrators of the Down Under Fan Fund have announced the 2014 DUFF race will run from now to Monday 31 March 2014. Download a PDF of the DUFF 2014 Ballot Form here. Ads for significant SF conventions from a global perspective are listed in the December 2013 issue of ‘Interstellar Ramjet Scoop’
- The Qwillery interviews Marko Kloos, author of Terms of Enlistment and Lines of Departure.
- Reddit recently hosted an AMA with actor David Hewlett, Stargate’s Dr. Rodney Meredith McKay.
- Reddit recently held an AMA with actor Mark Hamill
- Reddit recently held an AMA with Farseer Trilogy author Robin Hobb.
- Reddit recently held an AMA with Generation V author ML Brennan
- The Santa Fe Reporter interviewed Game of Thrones’ Maisie Williams.
- Sexy Zombies Love Smooth Jazz in Life After Beth. Wired interviews the film’s Director, Jeff Baena.
- “Snowpiercer” artist Jean-Marc Rochette talks English comic, film
Events & Event News
- The American Library Association Midwinter Meeting is being held in Philadelphia this weekend!
- The 2013 Bram Stoker Awards Preliminary Ballot has been released.
- Comics Unmasked: Art and Anarchy in the UK (2 May 2014 – 19 August 2014) will explore the full potential of the medium, demystifying the process of creating comics while presenting work that is challenging to the status quo. Its materials unflinchingly examine issues around gender, violence, sexuality, drug-taking and politics.
- Congratulations to this year’s Kitschies finalists, which reward the year’s most progressive, intelligent and entertaining works that contain elements of the speculative or fantastic.
- Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton Announce International TableTop Day 2014
- Steampunk Events for February 2014
- Ennara and the Writ of Shadows – Sequel to the award-winning YA fantasy novel “Ennara and the Fallen Druid”. Magic, monsters, and adventure!
- Steampunk For Simpletons – a guide for folks who aren’t sure what steampunk is all about. From the basics such as where to go and what to do, to the aesthetic of arts within steampunk, we give a guided tour and primer in the world of steampunk.
- Sylvan Investigations: Work of Hunters/An Interrupted Cry – Two new urban fantasy novellas featuring half-fatae PI Danny Hendrickson by Laura Anne Gilman
- Reviews: Like Pop Rocks for the Brain: Samuel R. Delany’s Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand
- 10 Comics Marvel Would Desperately Like to Forget They Published
- All library audiobooks going to DRM-free MP3s
- A Concise History of Science Fiction Short Stories
- Did a Victorian-era penny dreadful inspire the creation of Batman?
- Forgotten Book: Neal Barrett, Jr. and Stress Pattern
- Gollancz acquires trilogy from teenage author
- Lovecraft’s Cosmicism Vs. American Idealism, by John A. DeLaughter
- Kitschie shortlists reflect the “mainstreaming” of spec.fic
- New DOC SAVAGE Novel Based On Unproduced Lester Dent Comic Strip Announced
- People Who Said “I’ll Hold Them Off” — And Didn’t Die
- The power of the ordinary: hero tropes in epic fantasy
- Roundtable on “Planetary Writing” and SF in 2014
- The Science Fiction Hall Of Fame Retro Read: A Martian Odyssey (Conclusion)
- Scott Sigler: Five Things I Learned Writing The Infected Series
- Stephen Hawking says there are no black holes
- The Top 5 Planetary Destructions
- Why It’s Important to Keep Reading Books By People Even If They’re Monsters
- Why reading superhero comics is like making a deal with the devil
- Why Make A Movie Within A Computer Game?
- Agent of S.T.Y.L.E. – Venom and What Could Have Been
- Doctor Who, Star Wars Inspired Art in Gallery Nucleus’ Adorable New Show
- The Dwarves of The Hobbit Fan Art
- The Most Beautiful Art Based on William Gibson’s Neuromancer
More Fun Stuff
- Beer and Board Games tackles Basic Dungeons and Dragons
- Download the Revised Words of Radiance Wallpapers
- Everything Wrong With Resident Evil In 7 Minutes Or Less
- A Journey to the End of the World (of Minecraft)
- Noel Rubin takes a look at the UI/UX Design of Star Wars.
- Read an excerpt of Astra by Naomi Foyle
- Read an excerpt of Dreamwalker by C. S. Friedman
- Read an excerpt of City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
- Read an excerpt of Mentats of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
- Read an excerpt of Red Rising by Pierce Brown at Scribd.
- Read an excerpt of Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci
- Read an excerpt of Unforgotten by Jessica Brody, the second book in the Unremembered trilogy.
- Sneak peek inside Harry Potter World’s Diagon Alley [via Paul Di Filippo]
- SoundWorks Collection: The Sound of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- Watch a Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Pre-Alpha Walkthrough
- Watch the teaser trailer for the horror film Oculus.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!