SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-02-12
Interviews & Profiles
- Suvudu interviews Andy Weir.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Eleri Stone.
- The Qwillery interviews Jennifer Ridyard and John Connolly.
- Tor Books UK interviews Liz de Jager.
- Reddit AMA with Mercedes M. Yardley.
- Adventures in SciFi Publishing interviews Andrew Smith.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Ramez Naam. It’s mostly about his short story “Water,” which I suggest you read first because they discuss the ending.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Sunny Moraine. Mostly about the short story “So Sharp That Blood Must Flow“
- A.C. Wise interviews Sunny Moraine.
- MinnPost interviews Anne Ursu.
- FeetForBrains interviews Andrea Johnson, the Little Red Reviewer.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews artist Scott Grimando.
- Kindle Daily Post interviews Frank Barbiere about his comic book series Five Ghosts.
- The Daily Dot interviews Toril Orlesky about her gay centaur Western webcomic Hotblood. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Sandman: Overture #2 Slips Further Into March.
- The Parker illustrated novels debuts this May with The Hunter with art by Darwyn Cooke.
- Summit Buys YA Book Cryogenic Tale Noggin For Jamie Linden To Script And Helm. [via Paul Di Filippo]
Events & Event News
- Drinks with Charles Stross in Boston MA, tonight.
- Anne Ursu will talk about her novel The Real Boy at the Minnesota Life College in Edina MN, February 13.
- Chuck Wendig has an event at Doylestown Bookshop in Doylestown PA, February 15.
- Tor Books’ SF/F Extravaganza (featuring Brian Staveley, Ramona Wheeler, James Cambias) at the Housing Works Bookstore Cafe in New York, February 24.
- Shannon Messenger’s events in March and April (mostly in CA).
- Kevin Hearne’s events and appearances in 2014.
- Nnedi Okorafor to be Young Adult Author Special Guest at Detcon1.
- The Changing of the Sun by Lesley Smith.
- Streets of Shadows – A Noir Urban Fantasy Fiction Anthology by Steven Saus.
- SCI-FEST: The 1st Annual Los Angeles Science Fiction One-Act Play Festival by David Dean Bottrell.
- Steven Gould issues Presidential Statement from SFWA Regarding the SFWA Bulletin.
- Beth Revis asks Rae Carson, Alex London, Ruta Sepetys, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Shaun Hutchinson Why is Diversity Important?
- Katharine Kerr on Boys’ Books, part of Jim C. Hines’ series of guest posts about representation.
- Teresa Frohock on Being a woman and writing dark fiction – it’s complicated.
- Courtney Schafer asks So you think not many women write epic fantasy/sword & sorcery?
- Stina Leicht on The Wendybird.
- Niall Alexander on Short Fiction Spotlight: The Second Life of the Jackalope Wife.
- Neil Gaiman on Why you should see Winter’s Tale and other deep thoughts about stuff.
- Laura Lam declares I’m Hybridizing – A Little About Vestigial Tales.
- Joan Frances Turner on the Inspirations & Influences for The Resurgam Trilogy.
- James Cambias answers What Rivers Flow Into A Darkling Sea?
- Jessica Spotswood on the Romance in the Cahill Witch Chronicles.
- Brian Ruckley on Where I Got My Ideas From. All Of Them. Really.
- Freya Robertson on Writer’s Workshop – Keeping Motivated.
- Fantasy Faction on Why Characters Play Their Parts: Human Identity in Storytelling.
- Keith Cronin on Writer, Boxed. About genres and categorization of fiction.
- Linda Nagata on Writing to Request.
- Donald Maass on The New Class System in publishing. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Amie Kaufman lists Seven Steps to a Successful Signing.
- Carl V. Anderson says You Have a Voice. About awards and nominations.
- Laura Hudson says The Walking Dead‘s Scariest Element Isn’t Zombies, It’s Memories.
- Wired.com on Forget Dystopian Fiction. Sochi Is Pure Dystopian Reality.
- Wired.com on The App That Helped Write a Breakout Sci-Fi Novel. About Andy Weir’s novel The Martian
- Andy Weir talks about his novel The Martian at John Scalzi’s The Big Idea.
- L. Jagi Lamplighter on the Story behind Prospero Regained. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Jessica Strider reviews Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.
- Matt Mitrovich’s Capricon 34 Experience.
- Julie Bosman says Impatience Has Its Reward: Books Are Rolled Out Faster.
- The Guardian says W.H. Auden advised J.R.R. Tolkien to drop romance in final volume of The Lord of the Rings.
- The winners of the This Is Horror Awards 2013.
- Claire Cameron on The Best Books About Getting Eaten.
- Charlie Jane Anders lists 10 Forgotten Secrets of Great Movie-making From The 80s.
- Lauren Davis answers Why Dragonlance should be the next fantasy film franchise.
- Cover for Tim Pratt’s Grim Tides by LMessecar aka Lindsey Look.
- P. Craig Russell’s New Cover for Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book.
- An Exclusive Look at Winter is Coming, George R.R. Martin’s Art Show.
- Concept art by Victor Martinez for Star Trek Into Darkness, Oz the Great and Powerful, Terminator Salvation and the never-made Fantastic Voyage and Captain Nemo films..
- Pepper Empress by Artgerm aka Stanley Lau.
- Trick or to eat by lalalalack aka Yuta Sakuma.
More Fun Stuff
- When They Were Young: George R.R. Martin. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The Coolest Helmets, Hats and Headpieces in Science Fiction and Fantasy.
- Star Wars print dresses hit the runway at New York Fashion Week. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Webcomic: Noelle Stevenson has had some bad experiences going to some comic book stores.
- Infographic: Visual Guide to Marvel Character Movie Rights.
- Excerpt: Half-Off Ragnarok by Seanan McGuire.
- Excerpt: Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer’s .
- Excerpt: Graduation Day by Joelle Charbonneau.
- Short Story: “Water” by Ramez Naam.
- Short Story: “So Sharp That Blood Must Flow” by Sunny Moraine.
- Short Story: “Hayfever” by Frances Hardinge.
- Short Story: “Nanny Anne and the Christmas Story” by Karen Joy Fowler.
- Short Story: “I Met a Man Who Wasn’t There” by K.J. Parker.
- Ebook: Kaiju Rising: Age of Monsters edited by Tim Marquitz and Nick Sharps.
- Podcast: The Functional Nerds – Episode 178: Michael J. Martinez.
- Podcast: I Should Be Writing – Episode 313 (includes an interview with IP lawyer Teri Karobonik).
- Vlog: Talkin’ Comics Weekly – Wolverine & the X-Men.
- Trailer: Under The Skin. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Video: Ender’s Game director talks film’s morality in exclusive clip.
- Video: Lego Star Wars R2-D2 Time-lapse. There’s no sound so you can play this on the background.
- Video: RoboCop theme, Heavy Metal style by 331Erock.
- Video: The Banner Saga Medley by Malukah and Taylor Davis.
- Short Film: Batman Evolution by Peter Cornwell.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!