Interviews & Profiles
- The Galaxy Express interviews G.B. Hajim, director of Strange Frame.
- Inside the Mind Behind the Brilliant New “Last of Us” DLC, Neil Druckmann.
- L. Marie interviews Juliet Marillier, author of the Shadowfell series.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Doug Dorst, author of the novel Alive in Necropolis. [Transcript]
- Lightspeed Magazine discusses the short story “Love in Another Language” with Eugene Mirabelli.
- Lightspeed Magazine discusses the short story “Harry and Marlowe and the Intrigues at the Aetherian Exhibition” with Carrie Vaughn.
- The Little Red Reviewer interviews Matthew Thyer, author of the novella “The Big Red Buckle.”
- The Qwillery interviews Rhiannon Held, author of the Silver Urban Fantasy series: Silver, Tarnished, and Reflected, which was released this week.
- The Roanoke Times has a Q&A with Star Trek star John de Lancie, who will be the guest of honor at this weekend’s MystiCon. [Part 2]
Events & Event News
- Jeff Smith of “Bone” and “Tuki” has posted a schedule for his 2014 Book Tour
- Loncon 3, the 72nd World Science Fiction Convention, will be held August 14-18, 2014 at ExCeL.
- Neil Gaiman will be presenting his multimedia storytelling event, “The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains” at Carnegie Hall June 27th.
- Apex Magazine – the online SF, Fantasy, and Horror zine is currently seeking patrons through Patreon. Help one of the best zine online stay in business.
- Province – a Competitive Building Microgame for 2 Players
- 8 mind-blowing connections between the works of Joss Whedon.
- Author Earnings & Self-Publishing vs Traditional
- Celebrated futurist Ray Kurzweil thinks ‘Her’ will be a reality by 2029 [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The Chemical and Physical Properties of Vampires in the Gaseous State
- Fantasy Faction on Brian Jacques: An Appreciation
- The Girl Without Hands: Writing, Carpal Tunnel, and Silence
- How Creativity Works: Neil Gaiman on Where Ideas Comes From
- How to read your manuscript like a paperback book
- In the Name of the Moon, She is the Slayer: The Sailor Moon/Buffy Connection
- Jim C. Hine’s offers this Reading Round-Up, beginning with Wendig‘s Under the Empyrean Sky
- Join the Insect Army! is John Scalzi’s follow-up to last week’s “vocal minority” controversy.
- Lauren Beukes’ Moxyland and fear of the future
- Nicola Griffith asks How do you feel about SF?
- Now Novel discusses Understanding the storytelling arc.
- On Spider-Man, Puppet Monkeys, and Saturday Morning Chinese School
- On Starships & Dragonwings considers the question of What Makes Dragons Interesting?
- Our Eggs Don’t Break: The only way to permanently put your eggs in a single basket is to give up ownership. When you sign that contract, those are no longer your eggs.
- Over at Kindle Daily Post, author David Baldacci discusses The Finisher.
- Self-Publishing Odyssey: Part 2 Agents and Editors
- Self-Publishing’s Share of the Kindle Market by Genre
- Slaying Dragons: Daily Adolescent Challenges and Middle Grade Literature by Braden Bell
- The Terribleminds Holy Mother Of God Lordy Lordy Hallelujah Guide To Creating Super Ultra Awesomepants Supporting Characters
- A True Detective Reading List: A list of dark, weird, and southern gothic books that every fan of HBO’s True Detective should read.
- The Unrecognized Trajectory of Slow Burn Success
- The YA Roundup: JK Rowling Sets the Record Straight
- Beautiful Star Wars Papercraft Toys
- Game of Thrones cakes: one for a wedding and one for the official DVD release party.
- Cthulhu Lamp Sure Puts the “Craft” In Lovecraft
- HBO commissions 3D street art of The Wall in London
- Winter is Coming is an upcoming group art show being hosted by George R.R. Martin himself at Ltd. Art Gallery in Seattle, Washington. The show will feature a original artwork inspired by Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series.
More Fun Stuff
- 12 Famous Lines of Dialogue (That Everyone Always Misquotes)
- 27 Delightful Obsolete Words It’s High Time We Revived
- Official Ghostbusters LEGO Was Worth Waiting 30 Years
- Strap in and relive Gravity, the most intense theatrical experience in years, in this Honest Trailer.
- Talkin’ Comics Weekly goes Seeking Weird with Disney Imagineers
- Watch this vintage Return Of The Jedi Documentary
- Which Sci-Fi Armor Is the Military’s Fancy New Battle Suit Actually Like? They’re calling it the “Iron Man” suit, but we think there’s a closer analogy.