SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-02-20
Interviews & Profiles
- A Backwards Story interviews Jessica Brody, author of Unremembered and Unforgotten.
- Amazing Stories interviews award-winning author C. J. Cherryh
- Anthony Mackie On Taking Flight As Falcon; Says Uniform Will Evolve In CAPTAIN AMERICA Sequels
- The Book of Apex Tour: A chat with author Rahul Kanakia, author of “Tomorrow’s Dictator.”
- The Enchanted Inkpot welcome Jennifer Nielsen to celebrate the release of The Shadow Throne, the third and final book in her The False Prince series.
- Jeff VanderMeer explains how the “Power of Nature” inspired his new sci-fi novel Annihilation
- Kristen Simmons discusses her Article 5 trilogy finale Three
- The Little Red Reviewer interviews Alethea Kontis, author of the short story “Blood From Stone.”
- Nightmare Magazine interviews Gary Braunbeck of “We Now Pause for Station Identification.”
- The Qwillery interviews Anne Leonard of Moth and Spark
- Spike Jones joins “Newsnight” from Los Angeles in an exclusive interview about his new film, Her.
- The Sword and Laser Podcast recently held Hangouts with Brian McClellan and Hugh Howey.
- Watch Spike Jonze argue with an anchor who thinks Her is about tech
- Why Gavin Hood Calls Ender’s Game “The Biggest Indie Movie Ever Made”
- Final Iain Banks book to be published February 2015 [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Finalists have been announced for the 2013 Aurealis Awards, honoring SF/F by Australians
- Sylvester McCoy joins Who spoof based on Community’s Inspector Spacetime
- Lady of Misrule: A Marla Mason Novel – Sorcerer Marla Mason teams up with her old apprentice to fight a chaos witch and a dapper monster from beyond the multiverse.
- The Orcfather Fantasy & Mafia Cardgame – a cardgame for 4-10 players in which they assume fantasy characters’ roles in a mafia background.
- Pairs: A New Classic Pub Game – a fast and easy card game by James Ernest, with artwork based on The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
- Amazing Stories names their Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies.
- Amazing Stories on Surfing The Hybrid Wave of Publishing.
- Cyberpunk to Check Out After Almost Human
- Everything You Need to Know About That Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer
- Fantasy Faction examines the difference between Archetypes vs Stereotypes
- Genes, Generations, and Bloodlines in Speculative Fiction
- A History of the End of the World
- In response to this piece on self-publishing by Hugh Howey discussing Amazon author earnings, The Watershed Chronicle examines Publishing and the downfall of old assumptions, while DBW warns of Ten Reasons You Can’t Trust Everything You Read About the Author Earnings Report. But the question remains, How much attention to pay to Howey’s numbers?
- Is TV timeless in the age of Netflix?
- Lost in Translation: The Most WTF Parts Added to Movie Adaptations of Books
- Made to Order: what’s not being published that you want to…
- The New World of Publishing: Can’t Get Books Into Bookstore Myth
- Publisher’s Lunch and The Discussion Over “Author Earnings”
- The reclusive genius behind the funniest episodes of The Simpsons
- Screen Robot reflects upon The sad state of modern sci-fi.
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
- TeleRead laments Hard times for women in horror.
- What is NOT in doubt about Hugh Howey’s Author Earnings report
- What You Need to Know About the Heroes in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Writer Unboxed advises writers to Make Your Setting More than Pretty Scenery
- Craig Davison Depicts Kids Pretending to Be Favorite Star Wars and Wizard of Oz Characters
- In Case Of White Walkers, Break Glass
- “Night Market Galaxy” by Horim
- Game Of Thrones Nail Art flat out Wins Westeros
- Yes, there are Houses Made of Books. Why we don’t all have one, I do not yet know.
More Fun Stuff
- CineFix has released a new episode of 8-Bit Cinema that retells Christopher Nolan’s 2010 sci-fi heist thriller film Inception in two animated minutes.
- Check out the new Game of Thrones Book Covers
- Check out the original Handwritten Manuscript of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Death Star Engineer Addresses the Exhaust Port ‘Issue’
- First Ripley Action Figure Leads ‘Alien’ 35th Anniversary Merchandise
- “From World War to Star Wars: The Millennium Falcon” is a follow-up to the article “Where a Long Time Ago Meets a Galaxy Far, Far Away,” in which Cole Horton claims that World War II impacted more elements of Star Wars than any other single influence.
- Heads up! Saturday is Ragnarok. Plan accordingly. Dress in layers.
- Read an excerpt of Gilded by Christina Farley over at Tor.com.
- Read an excerpt of Night Broken, the eighth novel in Patricia Briggs’s Mercy Thompson series.
- Read an excerpt of The Pilgrims, the first volume in Will Elliott’s Pendulum Trilogy.
- Robots with human-like brains to take on Mars unaided
- This trailer for “Jodorowsky’s Dune” offers a peek into One of the Craziest Movies Ever Proposed.
- Tim Burton: “Honestly, I Always Saw Edward Scissorhands As The Villain“
- Watch Cinematics, an animated timeline of famous movie characters.
- Watch the Game of Thrones Season 3 deleted and extended scenes.
- Watch the Firefly After Show episode 1, an after show hosted by John Campea of AMC Movie Talk.
- Watch three Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes on Terry Gilliam’s The Zero Theorem.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!