SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-02-27
Interviews & Profiles
- SLiP interviews Lauren Beukes.
- Mur Lafferty interviews Madeline Ashby for the I Should Be Writing Podcast (Episode 316).
- My Bookish Ways interviews Danielle L. Jensen.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Joseph D’Lacey.
- The Sword & Laser Podcast interviews Bill Gourgey.
- DAW Books interviews Stephen Leigh.
- Wyrdsmiths interviews Lyda Morehouse aka Tate Hallaway.
- Fantasy Faction interviews Daniel Polansky.
- The Global Toronto Morning Show interviews Nick Cutter (aka Craig Davidson).
- Margaret Stohl interviews Seth Fishman.
- The Qwillery interviews Lauren M. Roy.
- The Enchanted Inkpot interviews Hilari Bell.
- Dab of Darkness interviews Sarah Dalton.
- Nightmare Magazine interviews Kat Howard about the short story “Dreaming Like a Ghost”.
- Nightmare Magazine interviews Dean Koontz. It’s actually a transcription of this episode of the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast.
- Middle Grade Ninja interviews literary agent Lana Popovic.
- Reddit AMA with John Klima, editor of Electric Velocipede.
- Bhob Stewart (1937-2014). [via Andrew Porter]
- The 40th Saturn Award Nominations.
- Warren Ellis confirms Trees, new Image series with artist Jason Howard . [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Pick the name for the new fantasy podcast from StarShipSofa and the District of Wonders Network.
- Editor-in-chief of Ace and Roc Books Ginjer Buchanan Announces Retirement.
- Sci-fi novelist, professor James Gunn creates professorship.
- Lovecraft’s Ladies: New Books from Hippocampus Press. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Starlog Magazine is available for free online.
- The Heavy Metal TV series to bring scifi sex ‘n violence to the U.S..
- Big Trouble in Little China Comics Coming From Boom! Studios and Eric Powell.
Events & Event News
- Gaming for a Cause (with Brandon Sanderson, Howard Tayler, Dave Butler, Larry Correia, Paul Genesse, Craig Nybo) at Epic Puzzles & Games in West Valley City UT, February 28.
- World War 3 Illustrated: 35 Years of Radical Comics by PM Press.
- Shadowbinders Books 1 & 2: steampunk! fantasy! comedy! by Thom Pratt.
- She Walks in Shadows, the first all-woman anthology of stories inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Gemma Files, Angela Slatter, Ann. K Schwader, and more.
- Pairs: A New Classic Pub Game by Cheapass Games.
- Mark Pryor offers An Open Letter to JK Rowling: Please Don’t Stop Writing. A response to that article by Lynn Shepherd.
- Bookworm Blues’ First Thoughts On Various Upcoming Books.
- Bookish’s Sci-Fi and Fantasy Spring 2014 Preview: Printable Drugs, Dragons, and Gifted Girls.
- Nick Cutter lists 11 Books That Will Definitely Disturb You.
- Flavorwire on The New Classics: 21 Writers Tell Us Which Books They’d Add to the Canon.
- Jane Potter on 28 Books You Should Read If You Want To.
- Joie Young on Options. Part of a series of guest posts on representation at Jim C. Hines’ blog.
- Jane Frank asks The Artful Collector: Love the Art, Hate the Artist?
- Rachel Seigel on Reading the Movies.
- Sam J. Miller on The Best Broken Heart You’ll Ever Have. About the Clarion Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers’ Workshop.
- Claire M. Caterer’s Wednesday Writing Tip: Getting Started.
- Lauren Oliver discusses the challenges of writing Realistic Fiction after having written Speculative Fiction.
- Jamie Todd Rubin talks about the Evolution of a Story from Idea to Publication: A Behind-the-Scenes Look.
- A. B. Westrick on Restless Manuscript Syndrome.
- K.M. Weiland on When You’ve Chosen the Wrong Critique Partner.
- Beth Revis asks Where in the World are… Christy Farley, Kat Parrish, Frankie Ash, and Natalie Parker? About the settings these authors have chosen for their books and why.
- Melissa de la Cruz on her novel The Ring and the Crown and Her Spring Reading List.
- Jessica Strider reviews Conquest by John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard.
- Bryan Singer discusses Sentinels, Quicksilver, and Time Travel From the Set of X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Star Wars Blog tells How the War Built the Millennium Falcon.
- Graham Edwards on Roger Christian’s Black Angel.
- R.K. Troughton lists Top Ten Best Science Fiction Movie Villains of All Time.
- io9 lists 12 Most Codependent Supervillains of All Time.
- WOW dude lists The Best Dragons To Be Found On Screen.
- Motherboard says Space Elevators Are Totally Possible (and Will Make Rockets Seem Dumb). [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The Guardian says Geoengineering side effects could be potentially disastrous, research shows.
- Cover Reveal: Sword & Laser Anthology.
- Interior Art from Words of Radiance (illustrations by Ben McSweeney and Isaac Stewart).
- Book of Life Concept Art for Guillermo del Toro Production.
- The Art of Layne Johnson.
- The Mind-Blowing Hungarian Posters for All Your Favorite Movies.
More Fun Stuff
- (Unnoficial) Pacific Rim Lego Jaegers.
- Infographic: Experience Just How Big the Universe is, in One Mind-Blowing Interactive Infographic.
- Music: Three Hearts As One – Elder Scrolls Online Bard Song Cover by Malukah.
- Podcast: The Future And You – Places to watch streaming TV and movies for free, some cool Apps, and an exploreable weather map.
- Trailer: The Life and Times of Scrooge by Tuomas Holopainen. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Video: SFF180 Special | 2013 Nebula Nominees + Commentary.
- Video: Why Gravity deserves to win the best picture Oscar.
- Video: The Ranch Where Star Wars Exploded. It’s about sound design and Skywalker Sound.
- Video: Fusion vs. Fission. It’s an educational video from NASA voiced by GLaDOS actress Ellen McLain.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!