Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- @AE – The Canadian Science Fiction Review: “Gill” by C.A. Barbalescu [Science Fiction]
- Apex Magazine #58 – March 2014 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- @Author’s Site: “The Injustice Collector” by Kristine Kathryn Rusch [Science Fiction]
- Galaxy’s Edge #7 – March 2014 [Science Fiction Magazine]
- “Cassandra” by C.J. Cherryh [from 1978]
- “Cordle to Onion to Carrot” by Robert Sheckley [from 1971]
- “Faster Gun” by Elizabeth Bear [from 2012]
- “Holland: 1944” by Steve Cameron
- “In a Green Dress, Surrounded by Exploding Clowns” by Robert T. Jeschonek
- “One Sunday in Neptune” by Alexei Panshin [from 1971]
- “Pallbearers” by Martin L. Shoemaker
- “Part 1”
- “The Nechronomator” by Brad R. Torgersen
- “The Tour Guide” by Lou J. Berger
- “Werehunter” by Mercedes Lackey [from 1987]
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- @Mythic Delirium: “India Pale Angel” by Robert Davies [Weird]
- Perihelion February 2014 [Science Fiction Magazine]
- “Catastrophic Failure” by David Steffen
- “Continue Program?” by Seth Chambers
- “Dance by the Light of the Moon” by Milo James Fowler
- “Enemy From Nowhere” by Jeffery Scott Sims
- “Infinite (∞) LDK” by Ryu Ando
- “Perfect Blue, Scorched Black” by Rachael Acks
- “Reparation” by Sara Backer
- “Screwed by Frankie Frog” by Tim McDaniel
- “Twice Upon a Midnight Dreary” by Richard Zwicker
- “Watchman, What of the Night?” by Eric Del Carlo
- @The Colored Lens: “Like the Grains of Sand” by Sara Puls [Fantasy]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows: “Lost and Found” by Jay Knioum [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Daily Science Fiction: “Miss Violet May from the Twelve Thousand Lakes” by Tina Connolly [Fairy Tale Flash]
- @Every Day Fiction: “The Iconoclast” by Moriah Geer-Hardwick [Science Fiction Flash]
Written – Serialized
- @Galaxy’s Edge: Lest Darkness Fall by L. Sprague de Camp – Part 1 [from 1941]
- @Legend of the Five Rings: The Age of Ivory by Brian Yoon – Part 4: The Science of Madness [Shared World Fantasy Serialization]
- @Strange Horizons: Such Lovely Teeth, Such Big Teeth by Carlie St. George – Part 1 of 2 [Fantasy Serialization – also available in audio]
- Apex Podcast #9 – “Waking” by Cat Hellisen [Fantasy]
- @Lightspeed Magazine: “A Different Fate” by Kat Howard [Fantasy]
- Protecting Project Pulp #82 – “Satan’s Boneyard” by Leon Dupont [Horror / Adventure – from 1939]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Boxcars711 Old Time Radio Pod: Lights Out –“Man In The Middle” [Horror Radio Drama – from 1945]
- @Relic Radio: 2000 Plus –“The Rocket And The Skull” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1951]
Audio – Serialized
- 19 Nocturne Boulevard Atomic Julie’s Galactic Bedtime Stories #23 – The Fifth Dimension Catapult, Part 3 by Murray Leinster [Science Fiction Serialization – from 1931]
- @Minds of Terminus: Episode Three –“Escape!” [Cyberpunk / Science Fiction Serial]
- @Strange Horizons: Such Lovely Teeth, Such Big Teeth by Carlie St. George – Part 1 of 2 [Fantasy Serialization]
- @via YouTube: Pilgrim of the Sky by Natania Barron – Chapter Nine – “Charleston” [YA Steampunk Fantasy Novel Serialization]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
After Life, Inc. (After Life, Inc. Chronicles) by S.R. Ellis
The After Life program was created to defy death. People no longer die, instead they are chipped and uploaded into a computer program to live out an eternally blissful existence. Joshua has been confined to the After Life program for over 100 years and is put in charge of showing new arrival, Clara Jean, the ropes of living and surviving in the program. Clara Jean soon realizes The After Life program is not the peaceful utopia she was promised.
[Science Fiction Novel – Amazon]
Ashener’s Calling (LORE: The Vallance War Series) by David Partelow
The country of Vallance shines as a stalwart beacon of hope for all of mankind. At great cost and bloodshed its people now stand united, ushering in the next phase of human evolution while striving toward a golden age of prosperity. Vallance is also the only world that Norryn Ashener has ever known. Soon the child prodigy will be forced to face his destiny as the world he knows begins to shatter. And it all starts with a gift, the blessing and curse of an amulet known as Ashener’s Calling.
[Science Fiction Adventure Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Lodestone Book One: The Sea of Storms by Mark Whiteway
Rising from the remnants of a shattered civilization, the native people of the planet Kelanni begin to discover the technology left behind by their ancient forebears.
[Space Opera Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
The Truth Beyond the Sky (The Epic of Aravinda) by Andrew M. Crusoe
Perched atop the island summit, Zahn is awakened by a mighty roar that changes the course of his life forever. He bolts up and sees a light racing through the clouds, watching breathless as it careens over the sapphire forest and impacts onto the silvery beach far below. Frantically, he searches for it, recovering an object that is far more than a mere meteorite. Fear holds him back; if it truly is what he suspects it to be, everything on Avani would change.
[Science Fiction Adventure Novel – Amazon]
Untapped (Great Minds Thriller) by M. C. Soutter
Melissa Hartman has genius locked inside of her, and so do you. The question is: what kind of genius? The awesome potential of the human mind is an incredible thing, but it is also a very dangerous thing.
[Science Fiction Thriller Novel – Amazon]
Whatever Gods May Be by George P. Saunders
Rzzdik Zolan is a time traveler from a planet 1,000 light years from Earth. He had been assigned to Earth as an evolutionary observer, and his travels have taken him to every era of human history – from the day Christ died on the cross – to the 21st Century, where World War III strikes out of the blue.
[Science Fiction Adventure Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian – Young Adult
All for Owen by Clint Stoker
Seventeen-year-old Jason Lowe has been able to hide from a broken world in his forgotten neighborhood. He can hide from the horrors of the man-made plague, because he’s immune. But when the creatures called Angsts discover Sunset Street, he can’t hide anymore.
[YA Dystopian Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Alternative History
The Silurian, Book One: The Fox and the Bear by L.A. Wilson
Hundreds of years ago in a land ravaged by fierce clans, where only the strongest survive…a Legend of the People was born.
[Alternative Arthurian History Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Fantasy
The Corpse King (Tales of Eisengoth) by Christopher Kellen
After years of nothing but grueling training and the desperate dance of death that is the life of an acolyte Arbiter, D’Arden Tal has been named an apprentice. He has been assigned to learn from Havox Khaine, one of the greatest Masters in living memory.
[Sword & Sorcery Short Story – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Usurper (A King’s Head) by David Waine
Callin Vorst is the youngest member of the Kingdom’s second family. Convinced that his father should occupy the throne instead of the incumbent, he strikes a bargain with a creature of myth: the ‘Hag’. She launches him on a career that will see him befriend the beautiful Princess Avalind and become a national hero – but at a terrible cost as the Hag exacts her price.
[Dark Sword & Sorcery Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Young Adult
Chosen (Guardians of the Word, Book 1) by Jolea M. Harrison
Dynan Telaerin finds himself on a corpse-strewn hillside, uncertain if he’s dead or alive, charged with saving his ancestor, the most powerful telepath to ever exist. Dynan has telepathic powers of his own, only he doesn’t know how to use them. With monsters and minions hunting him down, the demon’s lair isn’t the place to learn anything – except how to run and how to hide. Will courage alone be enough to face the greatest evil to exist? Will he lose his soul to save everyone else?
[YA Dark Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Smashwords]
Dragon Killer (Dragon Killer Series, Book 1) by Rob May
Kalina Moonheart – adventurer, gambler and thief – teams up with a young guard captain to hunt down a dragon that has made its nest on a tropical island, but events quickly spiral out of control.
[YA Sword & Sorcery Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Respites of Power (The Soul Alliance Series) by Charles Streams
Roger Torrents is amazed when he runs into a mysterious white-haired man in Mexico, who takes him to Chanulville, a world where the inhabitants shoot red, yellow, orange, blue, green, or purple lasers out of their fingers called zaps, and round lights from their stomachs called soulbeams. Roger loves the idea of being able to teleport to a secret world whenever he wants, but he is also informed that he and other Chosen Ones are needed in Chanulville to form the Soul Alliance and heal the life-giving Central Orb.
[Early YA Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Paranormal and Romance
Silent Orchids (The Age of Alandria: Book One) by Morgan Wylie
A dying realm. The ancient evil of the Droch-Shúil has been unleashed. The Orchids have been silenced… but for how long?
[YA Paranormal Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Vampires
Day Soldiers by Brandon Hale
A legion of vampires and werewolves has declared war on the human race. For ten years now, humanity has been at war with the creatures of darkness. The war has changed the world. The day now belongs to humanity and the night belongs to things once thought to exist only in myths and legends… but there is hope. This new enemy has united humanity and an army has stepped forward to protect the light from the darkness. An army of heroes. The Day Soldiers.
[Post-Apocalyptic Vampire Novel – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Zombies
The End of the World Playlist by Dan O’Brien
The world as we knew it had ended. Deep in the mountains of the west coast, six men survived. In the town of River’s Bend, these six friends continued on with their lives as zombies inherited the Earth. As they navigated the world that had been left behind, the soundtrack of life continued on.
[Zombie Novelette – Amazon]