Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- Baen has a military science fiction short story from Robert Buettner
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #143 – March 20, 2014 – Science-Fantasy Month 2
- Nature has some science fiction flash from Ian Stewart
- @Baen: “Magic and Other Honest Lies” by Robert Buettner [Military Science Fiction]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #143 – March 20, 2014 – Science-Fantasy Month 2 [Fantasy Magazine]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows: “A Worthy Cause” by Tom Coupland [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- @Every Day Fiction: “When We Lived in a House” by Jez Patterson [Horror Flash]
- @Farther Stars Than These: “Back From The War “ by Ray Daley [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Nature: “Market forces” by Ian Stewart [Science Fiction Flash]
Written – Serialized
- @Author’s Site: The Greenland Diaries by Patrick Marsh – Day 123 [Post-Apocalyptic Serialization]
- @HiLobrow: King Goshawk by Eimar O’Duffy – Chapter 12 [Satirical Science Fiction Serialization – from 1926]
- @Paizo: Winter’s Wolves by Wendy N. Wagner – Chapter Three: Up the Mountain [Shared World Fantasy Serialization]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies Podcast #122 – “The River Does Not Run” by Rachel Sobel [Fantasy]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Boxcars711 Old Time Radio Pod: X Minus One -“Hello Tomorrow” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1955]
- @Relic Radio: Suspense -“August Heat” [Horror / Suspense Radio Drama – from 1945]
- @Chilling Tales for Dark Nights: “I Couldn’t Resist You” by Chris Coffman [Horror Short Story]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
Reckless Rescue (a barren planet romance #1) by Rinelle Grey
Stranded on the dying planet of Zerris, Marlee longs for the one thing she can’t have… a family. Due to the noxious gas covering the planet, she can’t conceive a child, and the Council, determined to repopulate the planet, have ended her third—and most precious—relationship. They insist she pick a new mate and try again, but she’s sworn off love and the possibility of ever having a real family. When a ship from the thriving planet of Urslat crashes on Zerris, Marlee rescues the ship’s daring captain, Tyris.
Will she risk her heart one last time for a chance at her dream? Or will Tyris be her undoing?
[Science Fiction Romance Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction – Young Adult
“Perfect Game” by Will Swardstrom
At the end of his senior year in high school, Kirk McIntyre is determined to pitch a perfect game — for himself and for his brother. A tragic farming accident a year and a half earlier made Kirk a feel good story heading into the high school baseball playoffs, but all he is focused on is finishing the game.
[YA Science Fiction Short Story – Amazon]
The Aurora (Aurora Saga, Book 1) by Adrian Fulcher
Londuo is an eighteen-year-old Qinant teenager who is stranded in Colorado, USA, after the spaceship Aurora is destroyed. Fifty-five years later, seventeen-year-old James is living in the English countryside and thinks he is just a normal teenager. However, his mother has kept a secret from him, one that will change his life and ultimately the fate of his race.
[YA Science Fiction Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian
Rights by J.T. Hatley
Left with nothing. Stripped of freedom.
Facing his own mortality, a man finds himself in a military prison camp on an alien world, reflecting on the choices that brought him there as he acclimates to his new life. Betrayed by his country, cut off from everyone he held dear, he is left praying to a God in whom he no longer believes.
[Dystopian Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian – Young Adult
The Game (The Game is Life Book 1) by Terry Schott
What if life as we know it was just a game? What if, instead of traditional schools, children learned by participating in a virtual reality simulation, one that allowed them to experience “life” from birth to death — multiple times?
What if one player, on his final play, could change the world forever…?
[YA Dystopian Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Steampunk
Ruby Celeste and the Ghost Armada (Volume 1) by Nicholas J. Ambrose
After arriving at a grand floating SkyPort run by the cut-throat Rhod Stein, Ruby Celeste discovers the deckhand she arranged to purchase has been sold out from under her and replaced with a man kidnapped from the world’s surface. So after dispatching his guarding henchmen, she snatches him and then flees—but not before blowing a gaping hole in the SkyPort. Unbeknownst to Ruby, Stein survives the blast. And along with the assassins now hot on her tail, she has other problems to contend with…
[Steampunk Novella – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Fantasy
In The Dark and The Deep (Steve Vernon’s Sea Tales) by Steve Vernon
There are stories that are told of the sea. This is one of them. It was Billy McTavish’s first sea voyage.
[Fantasy Short Story – Amazon | B&N]
The Heresy Within (Book 1 of The Ties that Bind) by Rob J. Hayes
Thanquil Darkheart is an Arbiter of the Inquisition, a witch hunter tasked with hunting down and purging heretics. Thanquil Darkheart is also something else, expendable. When the God-Emperor of Sarth tells Thanquil there is a traitor operating among the highest echelon of the Inquisition he knows he has no choice but to sail to the city of Chade and follow the Emperor’s single lead.
[Epic Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Vitalis Chronicles: White Shores by Jay Swanson
In the aftermath of the Continental Wars, young Ardin Vitalis’ family is murdered by his own nation’s army in a plot to undo a woman known only as the Witch. Furious, he strikes out for revenge, but is thrust into events that will change his world forever.
[Epic Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Young Adult
Living Soul (Veiled Series) by S.B. Niccum
Veiled from her previous existence as a gifted Angel, Tess is now a mere mortal growing up in foster care with her autistic foster brother, Dorian, and a twisted foster sister, Agatha—whose main goal in life is to torture them both. When she inadvertently gazes into the eyes of the most popular guy in school—Alex Preston—Tess sees a glimpse of her previous existence.
[YA Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Paranormal and Romance
Rising by Holly Kelly
In a war between the humans and the inhabitants of the sea—humans will lose. Xanthus Dimitriou—the most lethal Dagonian to rise from the ocean—is on a mission to save mankind from annihilation. But first there’s one small thing he needs to do… kill a beautiful young woman in a wheelchair.
[Paranormal Fantasy Romance Novel – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Horror – Young Adult
Dust by Arthur Slade
Imagine a depression-era town where it hasn’t rained for years. A pale rainmaker with other-worldly eyes brings rain to the countryside and mesmerizes the townspeople, but the children begin to disappear one by one. Only young Robert Steelgate is able to resist the rainmaker’s spell and begin the struggle to discover what has happened to his missing brother and the other children.
[YA Horror Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Zombies
Jenny Undead (The Thirteen: Book One) by J.L. Murray
In a world ravaged by disease and chaos, Jenny has a secret. She and her brother were part of a gruesome experiment conducted ten years earlier in an attempt to stop the zombie apocalypse. If the rumors are true, her mother was the hated pathologist who released the disease in the first place, leading to the destruction of government, civilization, and life as we know it.
[Zombie Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
- @Boing Boing: Excerpt from Extreme Dentistry by Hugh AD Spencer – Chapter 1 [Science Fiction Comedy Novel – available now]
- @io9: Excerpt from Novelization of Aronofsky’s Noah by Mark Morris [Fantasy Novelization – available now]
- @Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist: Excerpt from The Martian by Andy Weir [Science Fiction Novel – available now]
- @Tor: Excerpt from Thornlost by Melanie Rawn [High Fantasy Novel – Third of Series – pre-order]