SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-03-01
Interviews & Profiles
- Arcfinity interviews Jeff VanderMeer.
- At Google, Andy Weir talks about his novel The Martian.
- The Qwillery interviews Steve Rasnic Tem.
- SFFWorld interviews Matthew Mather.
- Marjorie M. Liu answers The Pop Quiz at the End of the Universe.
- ComingSoon.net interviews producer Joel Silver.
- The Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy interviews Michio Kaku. If their page hasn’t been updated yet, you can download the MP3 file from this direct link.
- David Gemmell Awards – 2014 Longlist Revealed & Voting Open.
- Marvel Teams With TEDxTeen With ‘All-New Marvel NOW! Teen Heroes’.
- Subterranean Press announces Appointment on Sunset Limited Edition by Tim Powers.
- Acclaimed Horror Novelist Nancy A. Collins Takes On Vampirella. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Anne Rice to Reveal New Novel Live March 9 on Dinner Party Show.
- Titan Follows The Tenth & Eleventh Doctors in New Doctor Who Series.
Events & Event News
- Opening reception for George R.R. Martin Presents: Winter is Coming – An Art Show Inspired by A Song of Ice & Fire at the LTD Gallery in Seattle WA, tonight.
- Grand Opening of George R.R. Martin’s Jean Cocteau Bar in Santa Fe NM, March 04-06. Ernest Cline, author of Ready Player One, will be there signing on March 05.
- Steampunk Events for March 2014.
- Texas Teen Book Festival in Austin TX, October 18.
- Texas Book Festival in Austin TX, October 25-26.
- Laini Taylor’s Dreams of Gods & Monsters tour dates.
- Province – A Competitive Building Microgame for 2 Players by Laboratory.
- Zeppelin Attack! by Fred Hicks / Evil Hat Productions.
- Epic cyberpunk action, Ghost Source Zero by Mark Cheng.
- oddball Aeronauts: Pirates vs. The Pendragon by maverick:muse.
- Andrew Liptak on Aaron Allston.
- Stephen Deas says I Don’t Need No Women In My Fantasy.
- Morgan Dambergs on Non-binary and Not Represented. Part of a series of guest posts on representation at Jim C. Hines’ blog.
- John Farrier on Stereotypes and Bigotry in Science Fiction & Fantasy. In this case, Star Trek and Dungeons & Dragons.
- R. Graeme Cameron asks Want to Become a BNF? (Big Name Fan?) Here’s One Long Forgotten Fan Who Tried.
- Steve Fahnestalk on Robert E. Howard and the Many Faces of Conan.
- Mary Robinette Kowal says That’s a wrap! Of Noble Family is a completed draft.
- A. Lee Martinez says Suck It Up. About writing but can be applied to almost anything.
- Chuck Wendig proposes Writing Exercise: Describe One Things Ten Ways.
- Philippa Ballantine asks Art or Commerce? How about both?.
- Damien Walter says The improvised word leaves space for you.
- Rhiannon Held talks about how the power of metaphor relates to Reflected.
- Beth Revis ask Where in the World are… Alethea Kontis, PJ Hoover, & Colleen Houck?. About the settings these authors have chosen for their books and why.
- Paul Weimer is Mining the Genre Asteroid: The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.
- Rhiannon Held talks about her novel Reflected at Mary Robinette Kowal’s My Favorite Bit.
- The Exploding Spaceship reviews some 2013 Anthologies (In Space No One Can Hear You SCREAM, A Cosmic Christmas 2 You, Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Old Mars, Kicking It).
- Rob Bedford’s The Locke & Key Reread: “Alpha & Omega” (Vol. 6).
- Jack Campbell’s Recommended Reading at Jessica Strider’s Sci-Fi Fan Letter.
- BuzzFeed Books lists 22 Books You Should Read Now, Based On Your Childhood Favorites.
- Richard Thomas lists 21 Anthologies Every Author Should Own.
- Rajan Khanna lists 40 for 40: Science Fiction and Fantasy Novels that Changed My Life.
- Ben Blattberg lists Best Non-Fantasy Tabletop Roleplaying Games from the 90s.
- Jason Schreier’s Confessions Of A Final Fantasy Addict.
- io9 reveals This is the insane way Terry Gilliam’s Watchmen movie would have ended.
- ScreenRant on The Truth About Superhero Movie Casting. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The Observer lists The 10 best fictional evil children. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- io9 lists 20 Laughably Terrible Batman Villains.
- Gamma Squad lists 15 Fascinating Facts You May Not Know About Castlevania.
- The Chronicle on The people’s publishers. About independent magazines. There’s a section about Samuel Montgomery-Blinn’s Bull Spec.
- Damien Walter asks Are we already living in the technological singularity?
- Space.com says Population of Known Alien Planets Nearly Doubles as NASA Discovers 715 New Worlds. And some thoughts by Mike Brotherton.
- Annalee Newitz asks What if we’ve misunderstood our place in the universe? A Harvard astronomer thinks we have.
- First Look at Orbit Books’ Autumn 2014 to Winter 2015 Orbit UK covers.
- First Look at Orbit Books’ Fall 2014 to Winter 2015 US Covers.
- The Haunting, Gothic Concept Art of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
- concept art by tranquillo aka Seunghee Lee .
- legend of the Cryptids by grafitart.
- ‘ wreckage ‘ by jcircle aka park jong won.
- Flying Bugs by Cristi_B aka Cristi Balanescu.
- Train City by Jordan Grimmer.
More Fun Stuff
- Photos: 13 Seriously Disturbing Pictures Of Children’s Nightmares by Joshua Hoffine.
- Magazine: Sci-Fi Romance Quarterly.
- Podcast: Adventures In SciFi Publishing – Episode 249: Amish Scifi by Michael Bunker.
- Podcast: Beware the Hairy Mango – Episode 201: Cran Francisco.
- Book Trailer: The Time Traveler’s Almanac edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer.
- Book Trailer: Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros.
- Puzzle Trailer(?): 4D Game of Thrones Puzzle – Westeros 1000+ Jigsaw Puzzle.
- Teaser: New Orphan Black Season 2 Teaser.
- Trailer: Jupiter Ascending – Official International (Japanese) Trailer.
- Video: Harry Potter Retold By People Who’ve Never Read It.
- Video: George Takei on Life Inside a Japanese Internment Camp During WWII. The full interview can be found here.
- Short Documentary: How Criterion Collection Brings Movies Back From the Dead (by Gizmodo).
- Short Documentary: Where Time Comes From (by Atlantic).
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!