SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-03-10
Interviews & Profiles
- Lytherus interviews Rachel Bach.
- The Qwillery interviews Kenneth Calhoun.
- Ginger Nuts of Horror interviews Steve Soderquist.
- John Joseph Adams interviews Tobias S. Buckell about his story “System Reset” for the anthology The End Is Nigh, the first volume of the The Apocalypse Triptych.
- Riffle interviews Mike Shepherd.
- Buzzy Mag interviews Faith Hunter.
- Mindee Arnett answers The Pop Quiz at the End of the Universe.
- Comic Book Resources interviews Kim Newman and Maura McHugh, the new writers to Mike Mignola’s Witchfinder: The Mysteries of Unland. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- AMC Movie Talk interviews actor Chris Pratt, director James Gunn and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige about Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Happy 88th Birthday, Amazing Stories!
- Electric Velocipede Bluestockings Memorial Sampler Spectacular.
- Indie Creators Self-Publish 1,000 Comics on ComiXology in One Year.
- Amateur Science and Fantasy Fiction Story Art Contest.
- First Fandom member Fred D. Brammer dies. [via Andrew Porter]
Events & Event News
- Neil Gaiman in Conversation With Art Spiegelman at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson NY, April 04.
- A memorial for Bhob Stewart will be held at the Columbia University Library in New York NY, May 04 from 2pm to 6pm.
- She Walks in Shadows, The first all-woman anthology of stories inspired by H.P. Lovecraft.
- World War 3 Illustrated: 35 Years of Radical Comics by PM Press.
- StarCrawlers by Juggernaut Games.
- Darkest Dungeon by Red Hook Studios by Tyler Sigman.
- International Women’s Day (Angry Robot): Anna Kashina on Female Protagonists in Traditional Fantasy.
- International Women’s Day (Angry Robot): Marianne de Pierres on Story Straws Gathered and Glued.
- International Women’s Day (Strange Chemistry): Ingrid Jonach on My Top Five Female Authors.
- International Women’s Day (Strange Chemistry): Lisa O’Kane on Underdogs and Broken Things.
- Kindle-aholic’s Book Pile shares Just My Opinion on the Latest Drama. About Anne Rice’s campaign against an unfavorable reviewer and the consequences of such actions.
- Chike Deluna asks Has modern Sci Fi strayed too far from its roots?
- Greg Hatcher on The In-Between Years. One reader’s love affair with pulp heroes in several media. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Neil Gaiman: In Which It Is Demonstrated that I have become a Woodland Creature.
- Patrick Rothfuss: Update, FAQ, and Bast With His Shirt Off.
- Charlie Stross: Circumstantial connections.
- Adrian Faulkner suggests 10 Ways To Up Your Word Count.
- Freya Robertson asks Can creative writing courses help you be a better writer?
- Philippa Ballantine on Authorial Darwinism.
- K.M. Weiland on Creating Stunning Character Arcs, Pt. 5: The Characteristic Moment.
- Marjorie M. Liu talks about her book Labyrinth of Stars at John Scalzi’s The Big Idea.
- the Little Red Reviewer reviews The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin.
- Tablet Magazine on Dungeons & Dragons: A Nerdier Spin on Being Jewish.
- OMNI Reboot on Carl Sagan’s classic TV series Cosmos gets a 21st-century remake.
- Hero Complex on Titanfall: Xbox One is gunning for next-gen dominance.
- Andrew Webster on The Classics: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy text adventure. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Diana Rowland reveals the cover for How The White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back (art by Dan Dos Santos).
- Spectrum Fantastic Art Live 3: The “B” List.
- White Queen – Legend of the Cryptids by OXAN.
- God Emperor of Dune by DarkBydloArt.
- applibot – galaxy saga by Reza-ilyasa.
More Fun Stuff
- The Vampire’s Guide to Doing Mardi Gras Right (by Mur Lafferty).
- Flowchart: Trek-lit reading order (by The Trek Collective).
- Toys: This is the 3,296-piece Lego Star Wars Sandcrawler you were looking for.
- Podcast: Galactic Suburbia – Episode 95: 5 March 2014.
- Podcast: The Coode Street Podcast – Episode 181: Eileen Gunn, questionable practices and the purposes of science fiction.
- Podcast: Reader/Writer: Bright Lights, Big Science.
- Trailer: Only Lovers Left Alive by Jim Jarmusch.
- Video: Dan Harmon’s Dungeons & Dragons Movie Pitch.
- Video: Everything Will Be Alright – Episode 4: Rod Roddenberry (son of Gene Roddenberry) on the possibility of creating a society close to that depicted in the Star Trek series.
- Video: IKEA Bedroom Stories (Singapore) – Frank the Cosplayer. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Video: Beer and Board Games: Once Upon A Time.
- Music Video: Happy (We Are From Tatooine). Fans from Tunisia dressed as Star Wars characters dancing to Pharrell Williams’ song.
- Short Documentary: Friday Night Magic (by Holly Lynn Ellis and Andrew Tank Rivara for Narratively’s “Wild Cards” Week). About Magic: The Gathering and its players. [via Paul Di Filippo]
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!