SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-03-20
Interviews & Profiles
- The 100 author Kass Morgan talks Sci-Fi, Mood Music, and Writerly Rituals.
- Adventures in SciFi Publishing interviews John Dodds, author of Bone Machines.
- Brandon Sanderson holds a Q&A session for the Midnight Release of Words of Radiance
- Cheryl’s Mewsings interviews Karen Joy Fowler of We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves.
- Ginger Nuts of Horror interviews T.M. McLean, author of Fear’s Accomplice.
- Lightspeed interviews Eileen Gunn and Michael Swanwick of the short story “The Armies of Elfland.”
- My Bookish Ways interviews William Kent Krueger, author of Ordinary Grace.
- Nightmare Magazine interviews artist Dave Palumbo. Palumbo’s work has been shown in galleries from New York to Paris and has earned him a Chesley award and three Spectrum medals.
- Nightmare Magazine interviews Genevieve Valentine, author of The Girls at the Kingfisher Club.
- The Qwillery interviews Daniel Levine, author of Hyde.
- Space.com talks to Pillar to the Sky author William Forstchen about space elevators.
- 90 years later, J.R.R. Tolkien’s translation of Beowulf is getting published
- John Klima Announced as Editor for The Bulletin
- Pew: Americans Are Actively Engaged with Public Libraries
Events & Event News
- Concatenation has news on Worldcon 2014.
- Dr. Eric Leuthardt, neurosurgeon, biomedical engineer, X-Prize Winner and author of the futuristic thriller Reddevil 4 will be holding a live chat session at 4PM EST today on Booktrib.com.
- Stephen King’s Overlook Hotel will come to life at Omaha’s Sokol Auditorium in the world premiere event from director Jason Levering, STEPHEN KING’S “THE SHINING,” A PLAY. Watch a promotional trailer for the play on Vimeo.
- Monkeying Around, For a Good Cause – an anthology of speculative fiction from some of the most popular authors in the industry to benefit author CJ Henderson in his fight against cancer.
- Proven Lands – Explore a unique, vast and beautiful science-fiction sandbox survival game, procedurally generated and studded with an AI storyteller. Read more at Polygon.
- Review: Alien landscape: Scarlett Johansson stars as the otherworldly, predatory protagonist in the unsettling sci-fi thriller Under the Skin by Jonathan Glazer. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Review: Bookworm Blues reviews Blood and Iron by Jon Sprunk, an “action-heavy fantasy epic” that reads “like a sword-and-sorcery Spartacus” set in “a richly-imagined world.”
- 15 Years Later: Why Farscape still matters
- ACFW boils down the YA Dystopia Recipe to the basics.
- Amazing Stories revisits “The Nine Billion Names of God” by Arthur C. Clarke.
- The AudioBookaneers runs down this week’s new audiobook releases.
- Bibliotropia waxes nostalgic over Gateway books into SFF
- Cayla Kluver on the Power of Series in Young Adult Fiction
- Cory Doctorow on How Second Life Influenced In Real Life, His New Graphic Novel About MMOs
- Dystopian Thrillers: The Rare Hollywood Genre Where Women Rule
- Escapism vs. Reality Check: On Creating Honest Fiction
- Here’s a modest proposal for using Costco stores as role models for Internet-era public libraries
- How do you solve a problem like Astounding?
- How to Integrate Star Wars 7 Without Busing
- IBM’s Watson is the closest we have to an AI lover (Wired UK)
- Linguist Explains Why You’re Afraid of He Who Must Not Be Named
- John Marco On Being an Author – Fifteen Years and Counting
- Mythcreants on The Eight Character Archetypes of the Hero’s Journey
- Mythcreants remembers Ten Movies With Strong Character Arcs
- Post-Binary Gender in SF: Poetry’s Potential for Voice
- PrettyBooks offers this directory of Young Adult Dystopian Books.
- Publishing Perspectives explains Why Book Publishers Need to Think Like Amazon
- Recommended Reading for Teens, as suggested by Lissa Price, author of The Enders
- SF newcomers invade Arthur C Clarke award shortlist: International debutantes – two of them women – make up half of list, joining established writers in race for UK’s foremost sci-fi prize
- Science Fiction Predictions: Truth or Misconception? (Part 1)
- Shakespeare & Co. is home to a rotating band of young writers called The Tumbleweeds.
- Today I Found Out wonders Whatever Happened to Ambrose Bierce? [via Paul Di Filippo]
- We Got the Dune We Deserved: Jodorowsky’s Dune
- The Cast of the Game Of Thrones gets Simpsonized by Adrien Noterdaem
- Children, take note: this is a good tactic for prolonging reading at bedtime.
- Custom painted Lord of the Rings canvas shoes
- A Jules Verne-inspired steampunk submarine was the star of the San Francisco Garden Show.
- Star Wars Goes Street! with this mock packaging for a line of spray paints.
More Fun Stuff
- 13 Sci-Fi Gadgets You Won’t Believe Already Exist
- 15 Things That Happened at the Game of Thrones Season 4 Premiere
- Bricklayers: The Making of The LEGO Movie
- Cover reveal: Percy Jackson: The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
- Get an Apartment in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, While It Still Exists
- I [Heart] Blade Runner is a tribute that combines BladeRunner footage with Cloud Atlas music.
- Quantum Supergravity Could Explain Weirdness of Black Holes
- Read an excerpt of The Blood Guard by Carter Roy
- Read an excerpt of Brilliance by Marcus Sakey at My Bookish Ways.
- Read an excerpt of Irenicon by Aidan Harte at Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist.
- Read an excerpt of The Iron Jackal (Ketty Jay #3) by Chris Wooding at Only the Best.
- Read an excerpt of Pillar to the Sky by William Forstchen at Space.com.
- Read an excerpt of The Martian by Andy Weir at Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist.
- Read an excerpt of Thornlost by Melanie Rawn at Tor.com.
- Transform your toilet into a Sarlacc Pit with static stickers.
- Watch a trailer for Earth to Echo, a Millennial Goonies With a Splash of E.T.
- Watch a trailer for the sci-fi action flick The Giver adaptation featuring Jeff Bridges.
- Watch a trailer for the Sundance science fiction film The Signal
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!