Interviews & Profiles
- Adventures in SciFi Publishing interviews Bruce Taylor, co-edited of the anthology Like Water for Quarks: The Intersection of Magic Realism and Science Fiction.
- Amazing Stories interviews Andy Weir, author of The Martian.
- Chris Carter looks back at The X-Files series finale: “We really came of age with the Internet”
- Harper Voyager Online interviews Anne Bishop, author of Murder of Crows.
- KSiteTV interviews Marie Avgeropoulos, the actor who plays Octavia on The 100.
- Mary Robinette Kowal interviews SL Huang, author of Zero Sum Game.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Daryl Gregory, author of Afterparty.
- Paizo interviews James L. Sutter, author of The Redemption Engine.
- The Qwillery interviews Rjurik Davidson, author of Unwrapped Sky.
- The Sword and Laser podcast interviews Kevin Hearne, author of Shattered.
- The Sword and Laser podcast interviews Wesley Chu, author of The Deaths of Tao.
- The Vulture interviews Douglas Coupland, author of Worst. Person. Ever., on Being a Visual Artist, the ‘Torture’ of Interviews, and Unintended Side Effects.
- First Earth-size planet that may hold water confirmed: Kepler-186f orbits an M dwarf star in the constellation Cygnus. More importantly, it’s the first confirmed Earth-size, potentially habitable planet elsewhere in the universe. Start packing your bags!
- Harper Voyager has acquired rights to the Chuck Wendig novel Zeroes in a two-book deal.
- The Nobel prize-winning author of One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez, passed away Thursday at Age 87.
Events & Event News
- On Wednesday, April 23 at 7PM, One More Page Books hosts the launch party for Michael J. Sullivan’s acclaimed new novel Hollow World.
- Paradox – a film about murder and time travel. What if you had to go back in time and kill yourself? Paradox is a sci-fi film about death, identity, and fate. Think Cabin in the Woods meets Looper.
- Unthinkable Complexity: A Cyberpunk Event – Help us make an immersive, cyberpunk cosplay event celebrating the future of mankind w/ music, tech, virtual reality & more in Los Angeles.
- Review: Bookworm Blues reviews Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan
- Review: Patrick Hester reviews DC’s Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E..
- Review: Paul Di Filippo reviews Robert Moore Williams for Locus Online.
- 5 Reasons You Should Be Obsessed with Orphan Black
- 20 Things You Might Not Know About Ghostbusters
- AJ Dalton considers The Greater Fantasy in a guest post for Gollancz.
- All 64 Stephen King Books Ranked and Reviewed by the Vulture.
- Amazing Stories explores How Art Reveals Truth in Science.
- Attack of the Amazing, Spectacular Uncanny Media Tie-ins.
- The AudioBookaneers rounds-up this week’s audiobook releases.
- Brandon Sanderson Tops Best Sellers With Words of Radiance: The NY Times profiles the author.
- Flash Gordon’s alive! Alex Raymond’s pulp hero getting ready to rise again!
- Game of Thrones Gives Us the Best Wedding Gift Imaginable. (Spoilers)
- Google Wants to Make “Science Fiction” a Reality — And That’s Limiting Their Imagination, because Google is Aiming Too Low, according to some.
- Jon Sprunk reminisces over his Favorite Fantasy Settings in an article at Black Gate.
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch discusses the Generational Divide and word of mouth.
- The new SyFy Channel: “Last week, they announced a 10-episode pickup of The Expanse, a series that will adapt (presumably) the first book from James S.A. Corey. […] Despite the last five years of distancing themselves from harder SF stories, this falls in line with the direction the channel is trying to lurch itself towards, shaking off their reputation for something better. It’s about time”
- Recommended Science Fiction and Fantasy For Teens, as chosen by Tamora Pierce
- Rinn from Rinn Reads is the latest guest at Fantasy Cafe for their Women in SF&F Month.
- Sasha Sagan offers Lessons of Immortality and Mortality From My Father, Carl Sagan
- Why They Couldn’t Cut Anna Paquin From X-Men
- Amazing Spiderman 2 Alternate poster by Doaly
- Awesome hand-painted Matryoshkas (Nesting Dolls): Astronomers, Avengers, Big Bang Theory, Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, H.P. Lovecraft, Mario Bros., More Doctor Who, and Return of the Jedi.
- Concept Art by Scribble Pad Studios
- Cool Concept Art by Izzy Medrano
- Gorgeous Art Shows What Life Would Be Like in Cities Beneath the Sea.
- Spectrum Fantastic Art Live: The “E” List and The “F” List
More Fun Stuff
- How a sunset might look on Earth’s new cousin Kepler-186f
- The LA Times maps literally maps out How to be a writer.
- Man ruins Game of Thrones with series of novels full of spoilers!
- Read an excerpt of Bird Box by Josh Malerman at Tor.com.
- The set of James Cameron’s The Abyss 20 years later: An abandoned nuclear power plant.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past producers released a 25-point timeline linking all of the X-Men movies.
- Watch the book trailer for Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris.
- Watch recitations of the science fiction-themed poems “The End of Science Fiction,” “Grand Motherf**ker,” and “Science Fiction Elephants” in honor of National Poetry Month.
- Watch a promo trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s The Strain at Geek Tyrant.
- Watch as Creationists get their Cosmos, thanks to Funny or Die.