SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-04-30
Interviews & Profiles
- Angry Robot held a panel discussion for the Angry Robot staff (Mike, Wes, Cassie, Madeline, Mez)
- The Functional Nerds interviews James L. Sutter, author of The Redemption Engine.
- Ginger Nuts of Horror interviews Carole Johnstone, a short story author whose work was recently included in Ellen Datlow’s Best Horror of the Year series.
- Lawrence M. Schoen interviews Joanne Anderton, author of The Bone Chime Song.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Darren Aronofsky, director of The Fountain and Pi.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Ted Chiang, author of “Exhalation.”
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Thomas Olde Heuvelt, author of “The Day the World Turned […].”
- My Bookish Ways interviews Jeff VanderMeer, author of Authority.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Marianne de Pierres, author of Peacemaker.
- The Qwillery interviews Alison Sinclair, author of Breakpoint: Nereis.
- The Qwillery interviews David Ramirez, author of The Forever Watch.
- Sense of Wonder interviews Linda Nagata, author of The Bohr Maker.
- Sense of Wonder interviews Peter Higgins, author of Wolfhound Century.
- SFFWorld interviews Freya Robertson, author of Sunstone (The Elemental Wars).
- Short Story Review interviews Zachary Jernigan, author of At the Bottom of the Sea.
- Suvudu interviews Melanie Rawn, author of Thornlost.
- Tor.com interviews Rose Fox and Daniel José Older, editors of Long Hidden.
- The Andre Norton Award Jury has been announced
- Anthologies Open to Submissions: Grimdark Grimoire and Blurring the Line.
- Karen Joy Fowler has won the PEN/Faulkner Award for We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves.
- NASA honors Captain Kirk for space service
- The shortlist for the David Gemmell Awards has been released. 17,000 nominations were received, overshadowing the 1,300 nominations received in total for this year’s Hugo Awards.
- The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. Who Do You Think The New Cast Is Playing In Star Wars Episode VII ?
- Warren Ellis’ Gun Machine And Chuck Dixon’s Winterworld will become TV Series For XBox Originals
Events & Event News
- Nancy Kilpatrick has announced Mini-Tour in Western Canada
- The Dreamlands – The first ever film adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s Dream Cycle.
- Second Contacts – Second Contacts will seek stories, from the best writers in the field, which explore the consequences of first contact, for us, for them, for our shared future. The possibilities are endless — conquest, collaboration, assimilation, or separation. On earth, in space, or on alien planets, what will happen to individuals and societies after staring into alien eyes?
- Review: Bookworm Blues reviews Fury by Charlotte McConaghy
- Review: The Little Red Reviewer looks back at Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke
- Afrofuturism in popular culture: Wanuri Kahiu at TEDxNairobi
- Blade Runner to I, Robot: Almost Human’s sci-fi inheritance
- Can S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Agent Ward be redeemed? TV.com looks at Ward’s chances of redemption from a Buffyverse perspective. And there’s a poll as well.
- Chasing Cthulhu: On the Lovecraftian Movie Trail
- Diabolical Plots has compiled a list of The Best of Dunesteef for 2012-2013.
- Fantastic Future: Max Gladstone: The Fantastic Future Spotlight is a series of posts highlighting writers in the fantasy and science fiction field who are not only producing great work, but are actively contributing to progress and pushing against the norms of the genre.
- Fantasy Factions explores Magic In Fantasy: Alternative Magic Systems
- Fear Net offers recommends More Genre Films Safe For Youngsters.
- Gail Z. Martin offers a few words on The Content of Your Character.
- How Manny Coto tried (and failed) to save Star Trek: Enterprise.
- Jason Sanford celebrates the SF/F good person of the day: K. Tempest Bradford.
- John C. Wright issues An Open Letter to the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.
- L. Jagi Lamplighter’s Would-Be-Resignation from SFWA.
- Over at SFFWorld, guest blogger Freya Robertson asks What is epic fantasy?
- Politics don’t belong in science fiction: A writer shouldn’t be punished for his political beliefs.
- Publisher’s Weekly considers the Seven Questions About Amazon’s Acquisition of Comixology
- Read Joss Whedon’s Avengers emails in this month’s Empire Magazine. The tongue-in-cheek emails form part of Empire’s 300th “Director’s Cut” issue.
- Sci-Fi’s Obsession with the Crucifixion & Resurrection (Part 2)
- Seriously, Though, Who Is Andy Serkis Playing In The New Star Wars ?
- The State of the Zombie Apocalypse, as reported by Weird Tales.
- Steven M. Long contemplates The Fluidity of Horror in his latest article on What Scares Us.
- Strange Horizons reports on The 2013 SF Count.
- The Science Fiction Concatenation summer edition is up, including a Box Office SF/F/H Film Chart, as well as news summary for the season, science & SF whimsy.
- Terry Pratchett is (Supposedly) the Most Shoplifted Author in Great Britain for a Reason.
- When Gravity Fails has compiled a list of the definitive, unassailable top SF and fantasy books.
- Who Is Daisy Ridley? Everything We Could Find on the Star Wars Mystery Woman
- William Shatner unleashes his live-Tweeting powers on The CW’s sci-fi lineup.
- The art of Luke Mancini and René Aigner
- Beautiful Concept Art from Disney’s Maleficent
- The Dragon Doc by Justin Gerard
- MechRunner Concept Art by Josh Nizzi
More Fun Stuff
- 50 Cosplay Pictures from Chicago’s C2E2
- Carl Sagan Writes a Letter to 17-Yea-Old Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Cover Reveal: The Colour of Magic &The Light Fantastic
- Great insight into how TV focus tests work (or don’t) by Giancarlo Volpe
- Grown Man Refers To Map At Beginning Of Novel To Find Out Where Ruined Castle Is Located
- How to Land on Mars: Martian Tech Explained
- Read an excerpt of Shield and Crocus by Michael R Underwood at Tor.com.
- Retronaut offers a gallery of Behind the scenes photos from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Watch a hilarious but dead accurate summary and analysis of Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-Five.
- Watch the first full episode of Showtime’s Penny Dreadful.
- Watch the trailer for the short film The Portal, starring Tahmoh Penikett as a lost wizard. I
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!