Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- New magazine Bastion has a sample story for their second issue: “The Endless Flickering Night” by Gary Emmette Chandler
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #147 – May 15, 2014
- Interfictions Online #3 – May 2014
- @AE – The Canadian Science Fiction Review: “Six North American Birds” by M. Bennardo [Science Fiction]
- @Bastion: “The Endless Flickering Night” by Gary Emmette Chandler [Science Fiction – sample story below issue listing]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #147 – May 15, 2014 [Fantasy Magazine – also available as eBook]
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- @Enchanted Conversation:
- “Cats-eyes and Carbuncles: How a Merchant’s Son Outwitted Old Nick–A
Fairy Tale in Thee Acts” by Todd Swanson [Fairy Tale]
- “The Cell Tower” by Shari L. Klase [Fairy Tale]
- “Cats-eyes and Carbuncles: How a Merchant’s Son Outwitted Old Nick–A
- Interfictions Online #3 – May 2014 [Interstitial Fiction Magazine]
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- @Mad Scientist Journal: “The Last Unit” by Judith Field [Science Fiction]
- @Nightmare Magazine:
- @Robot and Raygun: “The Dome” by Gregory Marlow [Science Fiction]
- @The WiFiles: “Arabesque” by Edward Ahern [Fantasy]
- @Weird Fiction Review: “A Resurrection Artist” by Christopher Barzak [Fantasy]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows: [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Buddy” by Roger ale Trexler
- “Condemned to the Void” by Bob Newbell
- “Deathman” by George R. Shirer
- “From Our Correspondent” by Jae Miles
- “idog” by Clint Wilson
- “Lie in Peace” by cchatfield
- “Rabbits & Plastic Foxes” by P. S. Walker
- “Spock Monkey” by Stanley James
- “The First Wasp Drive” by Brian Varcas
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- “Fall Forever” by Brian Yamauchi [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Practical College Majors in a Robot-Dominated Society” by Nicky Drayden [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Solstice Cakes” by Nina Kiriki Hoffman [Fantasy Flash]
- “This is a science fiction story about the day after tomorrow” by Pat Stansberry [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Unrealized Potential” by Scott E. Ritter [Fantasy Flash]
- @Every Day Fiction:
- “Apple Witches” by Michelle M. Denham [Fantasy Flash]
- “Back to Egypt” by Sarah Crysl Akhtar [Surreal Flash]
- “Finding Balance” by Jamie Lackey [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Like Killing a Mockingbird” by Malcolm Chandler [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Not All Men…” by Sathya Stone [Fantasy Flash]
- “Now Playing” by Emily K. Stamm [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Pastorale No. 1″ by Gerald Warfield [Fantasy Flash]
- @Farther Stars Than These: “Wells” by Nicholas Slade [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Nature: “Trials” by John Frizell [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Yesteryear Fiction: “Compensation” by C. V. Tench [Fantasy Flash]
Written – Serialized
- @Author’s Site: Post Human (Book One) by Vincent Asaro – Chapter 5 [Science Fantasy Novel Serialization]
- @Author’s Site: Post Human (Book One) by Vincent Asaro – Chapter 6 [Science Fantasy Novel Serialization]
- @Author’s Site: The Greenland Diaries by Patrick Marsh – Day 133 [Post-Apocalyptic Serialization]
- @HiLobrow: King Goshawk by Eimar O’Duffy: [Satirical Science Fiction Serialization – from 1926]
- @Kat and Mouse: Guns for Hire: In The Name Of The Father by Abner Senires – Part One [Cyberpunk Serialization]
- @madgeniusclub: Elf Blood by Sarah A. Hoyt – Chapter 21 [Fantasy Novel Serialization]
- @Omni Reboot: And Your Little Dog, Too by Damien Broderick and Rory Barnes – Part 2 of 4 [Serialized Science Fiction Novelette]
- @Paizo: Boar and Rabbit by James L. Sutter: [Shared World Fantasy Serialization]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies Podcast #127 – “We, As One, Trailing Embers” by E. Catherine Tobler
- @Beware the Hairy Mango by Matthew Sanborn Smith: [MuchoMangoMayo]
- Cast of Wonders #125 – “The Clasp” by Jarod K. Anderson [YA Science Fiction]
- @Clarkesworld Magazine:
- Escape Pod #447 – “Rachel in Love” by Pat Murphy [Science Fiction]
- Every Day Fiction Podcast #170 – “The Answer to Everything” by Tina Wayland [Surreal]
- Far Fetched Fables #5 – “An Accounting” by Brian Evenson and “Snowball’s Chance” by Charles Stross by [Fantasy]
- @Lightspeed Magazine: “Willful Weapon” by Fred Van Lente [Fantasy]
- Tales To Terrify #124 – “Having a Drink” by T.T. Trestle [Horror]
- Toasted Cake #107 – “Join Our Team of Time Travel Professionals” by Sarah Pinsker [Time Travel]
- @WMG Publishing Podcast: “The Verdant Gene” by Marcelle Dube [Science Fiction]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Boxcars711 Old Time Radio Pod:
- Creaking Door -“Don’t Take My Blood” [Horror / Thriller Radio Drama – from 1950]
- Dark Fantasy -“Men Call Me Mad” [Dark Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1941]
- The Twilight Zone -“The After Hours” [Weird / Horror Radio Drama – from 1960]
- Theater 10:30 -“The Thing In The Hall” [Horror Radio Drama – from 1968]
- X Minus One -“Skulking Permit” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1956]
- @Relic Radio:
- Beyond Midnight -“Vulture People” [Horror Radio Drama – from 1969]
- Lights Out -“Lord Marley’s Guest” [Horror Radio Drama – from 1943]
- Murder At Midnight -“The Secret Of XR-3″ [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1946]
- Suspense -“You Died Last Night” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1962]
- The Creaking Door -“The Man In The Lift” [Weird / Thriller Radio Drama – from 1964]
Audio – Serialized
- @Author’s Site: Nocturnal by Scott Sigler – Episode #30 [Horror Novel Serialization]
- Cthulhu #173 – The Wendigo, Final Part by Algernon Blackwood [Lovecraftian Horror Serial]
- Protecting Project Pulp #93 – Black Amazon of Mars by Leigh Brackett [Science Fantasy Adventure – from 1951]
- Tales To Terrify #124 – House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson, Part 1 by [Horror Serialization]
- @via The Hole Behind Midnight: Crooked by Richard Pett: [Dark Fantasy Serial]
- Welcome to Night Vale Episode #47 – “Company Picnic” [Fantasy Serial]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
Alutia Rising by Craig Gerttula
Neither Trent nor Sasha ever expected their peaceful lives to change. But when Trent is betrayed by the woman he loves and expelled from Earth’s corporate ruled society, and Sasha is forced from her home on Planet Tidelia, to join the ruthless arena of galactic politics, they’ll find themselves entangled in a conflict that will change their lives…and the future of Earth…forever.
[Science Fiction Adventure Novel – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Desolate by Robert Brumm
Howard Bell thought he hit rock bottom the day he returned to his former employer with a loaded gun. Instead of putting a scare into his ex-boss as he intended, things quickly get out of hand, and he kills five people. Howard is sentenced to life at an experimental prison camp off the coast of Antarctica, and he soon learns the true definition of “rock bottom.” Prison life at the remote island involves back-breaking work in the illegal mine run by the corrupt warden and his abusive guards. After a mysterious object is discovered deep in the mine, the inmates and staff start dying from an unknown infection. Howard is lucky to find himself one of the few survivors immune to the pathogen, but he and his fellow inmates learn something far more sinister and terrifying also has emerged from the mine. The truly lucky ones are already dead.
[Science Fiction Novelette – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Dog Aliens 1: Raffle’s Name by Cherise Kelley
Clem is a six month old puppy with a secret: he is an alien from outer space!
[Science Fiction Dog Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Earth Cell: The Ux-Blood Trilogy, Book I by Charles Brass
For centuries, the League of Cells and the Witches Guild have worked together to maintain order and stability across the countless worlds of the overweb.
Walking the path of a warden for the League of Cells requires dedication, sacrifice, and devotion, as young Maels Raptori, the last of his kind, has learned. But he’s embraced these hardships, for he feels serving as a warden represents the highest honor one might achieve in their lifetime. For six years, under the tutelage of his adopted father and the wardens of Earth Cell, he has prepared himself for the final steps to fulfilling this dreams.
[Science Fiction Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Lodestone Book One: The Sea of Storms by Mark Whiteway
Rising from the remnants of a shattered civilization, the native people of the planet Kelanni begin to discover the technology left behind by their ancient forebears.
[Space Opera Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Speculative Fiction The Ultimate Collection by David K Scholes
A collection of some 23 speculative fiction short stories including science fiction, alternate history, science fantasy and an alternate reality story.
[Science Fiction Collection – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction – Young Adult
ACE (Space Cadets) by Adam Moon
Two hundred years ago, aliens came to earth. They abducted millions of people and then told the rest that they were going to evaluate humanity over the course of the next several hundred years. If the earthlings didn’t measure up to their standards, they’d be back to eliminate them.
So guess what humanity has done since then: They geared up for war.
[YA Military Science Fiction Short Story – First of Series – Amazon | Smashwords]
Firemancer Collection (Fated Saga Box Set) by R. H. D’aigle
Meghan and Colin Jacoby, are looking forward to a typical summer… well, typical for them. Which means their uncle (and guardian) will pull into the Cobbscott Campground and park his travel trailer for three full months.
Normally, they’d never spend more than a couple weeks in any one place, their uncle preferring to move around. But only until summer when they’d be Cobbscott bound.
Why did he do this every summer? Why did he prefer to move around? The twins have never thought to ask.
Their only concern being that their friend Sebastien would be in Cobbscott as well… the one person who also happens to know their secret- that they can read each other’s minds.
[YA Science Fiction Box Set – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian
After The Fires Went Out: Coyote (Book One of the Unconventional Post-Apocalyptic Series) by Regan Wolfrom
First came the comet. Then came the fires. Now we fight to save what’s left.
[Post-Apocalyptic Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Mechanical by Bruno Flexer
Some kind of unknown enemy attacked the United States of America and took twelve cities by surprise, all at the same exact hour. Manhattan, Detroit and ten more cities are now enemy held territory.
To this day, no one knows who or what that enemy is, nor why people go mad when they approach the taken cities, rage settling in their eyes and alien purpose in their minds.
Now Lieutenant Tomas Riley is sent on a stealth mission into Manhattan, accompanied by three team mates only slightly less scary than the new Serpent MK Two battle suits the team is armed with.
[Military Post-Apocalyptic Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian – Young Adult
Sky of Dust: The Last Weapon by Joshua Bonilla
In minutes, Dalyn’s world has changed. His teacher holds a gun to his head. A girl he digs throws him across the room like a rag doll. A classmate shot, but there is no hole. He is no longer just a student in a dilapidated high school in the harsh dictatorship of Renatus. Dalyn is now being hunted by his own government for what makes him so special, he is ‘infected’. ‘Infected’, a term coined by the government to scare its citizens into turning anyone with symptoms. What the people don’t know is that the ‘infected’ can possess abilities such as faster reflexes or being able to zap people with electricity. The more abilities are used, the faster you go insane… or your head implodes from the inside.
[YA Dystopian Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy
Borrowed Souls by Paul B Kohler
Jack Duffy is average. He lives an ordinary life with a mediocre job. He is a distracted husband, lives in a comfortable apartment, and is married to an extraordinary wife. That’s how he would explain it.
At the end of an unusually bad day, his life is turned upside down. The only thing that can catch him from falling is the soul collector.
Will he be allowed to keep his soul, or will he have to give it back?
[Fantasy Novelette – Amazon]
Ryan and the Dark Sword (The Ryan Thayer Saga) by R.K. Wayne
Ryan Thayer is your typical high school outcast: mocked, bullied, and constantly in trouble. But when he sees a girl in a house that has been abandoned for years and follows her through a mysterious gateway, he finds himself in a strange world. It is a world fighting an age-old war which has powerful implications, not only for this new land, but for Ryan’s home as well.
[Fantasy Adventure Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Corpse King (Tales of Eisengoth) by Christopher Kellen
After years of nothing but grueling training and the desperate dance of death that is the life of an acolyte Arbiter, D’Arden Tal has been named an apprentice. He has been assigned to learn from Havox Khaine, one of the greatest Masters in living memory.
[Sword & Sorcery Short Story – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
The Last Tragedy by Herb Mallette
Two of the world’s greatest adventurers have disappeared, and it falls to their heirs – Jake Warbler and the half-sprite Noxie – to retrace their steps and understand these dark, mysterious vanishings. The only clues point to history’s most famous work of unread literature: the Last Tragedy of Coeldoetta of Jueln. But the Tragedy has eluded all seekers for nearly fifteen hundred years. Can Jake and Noxie succeed where so many others have failed? And can they do so while outpacing a bloody-minded cult that seems to have undone the two most powerful figures in their lives?
[Epic Fantasy Novel – Amazon]
“The Miracle of Leon Mackilroy” by Mark D. Pendergrass
A letter written to the missions board of a small turn of the century bible school, chronicles the story of an unexpected miracle that happened during the Klondike Gold Rush.
[Historical Fantasy Short Story – Amazon]
Nolander (Emanations #1) by Becca Mills
Amateur photographer Beth Ryder is in trouble. She’s taking pictures of things she can’t see, things that aren’t human.
[Urban Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Usurper (A King’s Head) by David Waine
Callin Vorst is the youngest member of the Kingdom’s second family. Convinced that his father should occupy the throne instead of the incumbent, he strikes a bargain with a creature of myth: the ‘Hag’. She launches him on a career that will see him befriend the beautiful Princess Avalind and become a national hero – but at a terrible cost as the Hag exacts her price.
[Dark Sword & Sorcery Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Young Adult
Dragon Killer (Dragon Killer Series, Book 1) by Rob May
Kalina Moonheart – adventurer, gambler and thief – teams up with a young guard captain to hunt down a dragon that has made its nest on a tropical island, but events quickly spiral out of control.
[YA Sword & Sorcery Novel – First of Series – Amazon | Kobo]
Free eBooks – Horror
Dead Religion by David Beers
Parents obsessed with resurrecting an ancient God…
A psychiatrist treating a patient with horrific nightmares of humanities damnation…
An FBI Agent trying to understand the explosion of the largest hotel in Mexico City…
[Horror Novel – Amazon]