Interviews & Profiles
- ChicagoNow interviews Suzanne Vincent & Anna Yeatts editor and publisher of Flash Fiction Online.
- Deborah J. Ross interviews Janni Lee Simner, author of Stars of Darkover.
- IAmRogue interviews Gareth Edwards, director of Godzilla.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Ari Marmell, author of Hot Lead, Cold Iron.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Richard Lange, author of “Fuzzyland” from The New Black.
- The Qwillery interviews Chris Willrich, author of The Silk Map.
- Reddit recently held an AMA for Jim Butcher, author of Skin Game.
- SciFiPulse Radio interviews Sachin Sahel, the actor who portrays Jackson on The 100.
- Tor.com interviews Jeff VanderMeer, author of Veniss Underground.
- The Telegraph interviews Gareth Edwards, director of Godzilla. “Our film is not about Fukushima at all, and the reactor is located in a fictional city near Tokyo,” says Edwards, “but I wanted it to reflect the questions that the incident at Fukushima raised. The news images from the Tohoku earthquake are burned onto our minds. Other generations had the Titanic or the Blitz. For us it’s tsunamis and September 11.”
- Chipotle Cups and Takeout Bags will now be adorned with Quality Litterature, but will other fast food chains follow suit with short stories of their own?
Events & Event News
- The Future Is Here, a festival celebrating the technology of tomorrow, science fiction and outer space, is being held this weekend in Washington, D.C.
- On Saturday, Gallery1988 in Los Angeles opens an exhibition inspired by Ghostbusters.
- Neil Gaiman has donated a special tour book edition of The Ocean at the End of the Lane for a charity eBay auction. The interior contains a doodle he drew called “The Clown-shoes of Cthulhu.”
- Eric Orchard is creating a fantasy adventure webcomic. Help sponsor his work through Patreon.
- Transreal Trilogy – All three of these novels are currently out of print. Help reissue them as a single-volume trilogy. Transrealism is about transmuting your ordinary life into Science Fiction.
- Book Review: Entertainment Weekly gives Authority by Jeff VanderMeer a B+ [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Movie Review: Kotaku calls Snowpiercer “One Of The Best Sci-Fi Movies In Years”
- 7 Reasons We’re Excited For Gotham, and by “we” I mean the staff at IGN.
- 9 Game Of Thrones Moments That Actually Happened In History.
- 12 Happy Accidents that Helped Save Science Fiction
- 28 arthouse sci-fi films that will make you smarter
- A.I. has an amazing future. Dystopian movies get it wrong. Sure, it’ll be evil, but far more efficient.
- The Agents of SHIELD finale made the Entertainment Weekly Weekly Must List. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Amazing Stories fondly remembers the Prolific Profligacy of R. Lionel Fanthorpe, SF Author.
- Are Authors Scared to Write Diverse Books?
- Damien Walter explains the shameful joys of the franchise novel … and why the force is with them.
- In a surprising interview, Viggo Mortensen reveals his anti-CGI stance and claims that the last two Lord Of The Rings films were “a mess” before they underwent “massive reshoots”. He said that Jackson “would have never been given the extra money to do those if the first one hadn’t been a huge success. The second and third ones would have been straight to video.”
- The industrial era of the culture is ending. Weep for the coming generations.
- It starts out a little something like a bad joke: So We Were In This Bar . . .
- Joe R. Lansdale on His Hap and Leonard Crime Novels Coming to the Sundance Channel
- Over at the SFWA, Juliette Wade offers advice on Using foreign language in your story.
- The Real Reason Fox’s Sci-Fi Shows Keep Failing (and it’s not sadism, as you might first guess.)
- RollingStone does a shockingly bad job picking The Top 20 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century.
- Stellar Four gives us all a peek at their Summer Bookshelf. What’s on yours?
- Vulture points the way to the next B-Movie great, asking, Have We Found the Next Sharknado?
- Why Can’t We Resist Retellings?
- 3D Futurist Works by Stefan Morrell
- “The Dark Crystal critters” by Author Mac Smith
- We Need a Legal Framework for Biohacking Our Brains, but let’s leave the lobbists out of it.
- What’s Going to Happen in Season Two of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
More Fun Stuff
- 21 Doctor Who locations as seen on Google Street View
- Future Tech? Autonomous Killer Robots Are Already Here, just biding their time.
- How do you build a city in space? asks The Guardian.
- Listen to “Better Days for Gerty” by Matthew Sanborn Smith at Beware the Hairy Mango.
- How robots are blazing a trail for manned Mars missions.
- Pumpin’ It Bookworm Style: Bookish Fitness Apparel from ActiveApparel.com
- Read an excerpt from My Last Kiss by Bethany Neal at Tor.com.
- Read an excerpt from A Study in Silks by Emma Jane Holloway at Scribd.
- Read an excerpt from “Tough Times All Over” by Joe Abercrombie at Suvudu.
- Watch the full trailer for The Flash at IGN.
- Watch the international trailer for Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar at The Hollywood Reporter.