FINALISTS: 2013 Sidewise Award
This year’s Sidewise Awards for Alternate History have been announced:
- Vylar Kaftan, “The Weight of the Sunrise” (Asimov’s, 2/13)
- Ken Liu, “A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel” (F&SF, 1/13)
- Adam Roberts, “Tollund” (The Book of the Dead, Jurassic London)
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch, “Uncertainty” (Asimov’s, 3/13)
- Harry Turtledove, “Cayos in the Stream” (Tor.com, 8/7/13)
- Ian Watson, “Blair’s War” (Asimov’s, 7/12)
- Robert Conroy, 1920: America’s Great War (Baen)
- Mark Hodder, The Secret of Abdu el Yezdi (Pyr, Ebury)
- D. J. Taylor, The Windsor Faction (Pegasus, Chatto & Windus)
- Bryce Zabel, Surrounded by Enemies : What If Kennedy Survived Dallas? (Mill City Press)
The winners will be announced at Loncon 3, this year’s Worldcon, in London, UK during the weekend of August 14. This year’s panel of judges was made up of Stephen Baxter, Evelyn Leeper, Jim Rittenhouse, Stu Shiffman, Kurt Sidaway, and Steven H Silver.
The Sidewise Awards for Alternate History were conceived in late 1995 to honor the best allohistorical genre publications of the year. The first awards were announced in summer 1996 and honored works from 1995. The award takes its name from Murray Leinster’s 1934 short story “Sidewise in Time,” in which a strange storm causes portions of Earth to swap places with their analogs from other timelines.
Filed under: Awards
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!