This is my third installment of my Best Podcast Fiction of All Time List, covering #21-30. You can find #41-50 here and #31-40 here. This is the middle list of the five pack–just two more to go! I hope some of you are tuning in and listening to them all–would make for an epic road trip (though many of the stories are not suitable for children so probably not a whole family road trip).
Please comment, follow along, share this list with your friends.
- “The Shunned Trailer” by Esther Freisner (Escape Pod) – In which a Harvard man comes across Cthulhu worshippers out in the sticks.
- “‘Run,’ Bakri Says” by Ferrett Steinmetz (Escape Pod) – In which a desperate woman has unlimited lives to succeed at an impossible task.
- “The Ghost of a Girl Who Never Lived” by Keffy R.M. Kehrli (Escape Pod) – In which a girl is mostly brought back from the dead, mostly.
- “Devour” by Ferrett Steinmetz (Escape Pod) – In which a man helps his partner suffer through the effects of a unique high-tech weapon.
- “A Night at the Tarn House” by George R. R. Martin (Clarkesworld) – In which a motley crew of magicians cross paths at an inn.
- “That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made” by Eric James Stone (StarShipSofa) – In which we talk to aliens who live in the hearts of stars.
- “Hollow as the World” by Ferrett Steinmetz (Drabblecast) – In which we play a game of Minecraft as imagined by Lovecraft.
- “All the Painted Stars” by Gwendolyn Clare (Clarkesworld) – In which an infinitely adaptable alien makes contact with humans.
- “Mongoose” Part 1 and Part 2 by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear (Drabblecast, Clarkesworld) – In which we hunt for inter-dimensional pests.
- “Betty Flesh and the Meat Man” by Damon Shaw (Drabblecast) – In which Betty the butcher’s daughter goes on a date and… it’s too hard to give it justice in a sentence. Go listen. Superbly weird. The epitome of a Drabblecast story. I passed this story up the editorial chain when slushing at the Drabblecast and am proud of my involvement in that.
I’ll be back in two weeks with the penultimate installment of the list, covering stories 11-20.