Free SF, Fantasy and Horror Fiction for 7/01/2014
Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- @Daily Science Fiction: “English Muffin, Devotion on the Side” by Cat Rambo [Science Fiction]
- @DargonZine: “What Cannot Be Tempered” by Victor Cardoso and Pam Atchley [Shared World Fantasy]
- Escape Pod #452 – “Repo” by Aaron Gallagher [Science Fiction - also available in audio]
- Fantasy Scroll Mag #2 – June 2014 [Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine]
- “A Concert of Flowers” by Kate O’Connor [Science Fiction]
- “A Trade of Tears” by Tony Peak [Fantasy]
- “Da Capo al Fine” by Patrick G. Jameson [Speculative Fiction]
- “Four Scenes From Wieczniak’s Whisk-U-Away, And One Not” by Ferrett Steinmetz [Science Fiction]
- “JC The Ski Bum” by Joyce Reynolds-Ward [Fantasy]
- “The Fine Art of Fortune-Telling” by Michelle Ann King [Fantasy - from 2012]
- “The Reanimators” by J. Kenneth Sargeant [Dark Science Fiction]
- “Verdure” by Brandon Barrows [Science Fiction]
- “Winter Solstice” by Mike Resnick [Fantasy - from 1991]
- Flash Fiction:“Grimm’s Home for Geriatrics” by Rebecca Demarest [Fantasy Flash]
- Flash Fiction:“Marshmallow Walls” by Brittany Foster [Horror Flash]
- Flash Fiction: “Million Hearts in the Valley of Death” by Savannah Hendricks [Horror Flash]
- Flash Fiction:“The Unworthy” by J.W. Alden [Fantasy Flash]
- Flash Fiction:“These Are The Things Our Hands Have Made” by Andrew Kozma [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Lakeside Circus: “In A Better Place” by H.L. Fullerton [Fantasy]
- @Mad Scientist Journal: “Apocalypse Willowherb” by Alter S. Reiss [Historical Fantasy]
- SQ Mag #15 [International Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- “Exponential Growth” by Justin Short [Horror]
- “How Far Will You Go” by Carl Alves [Dystopian Science Fiction]
- “It’s Only Going To End Badly” by John Claude Smith [Horror]
- “Metempsychosis” by Jason Franks [Dark Fantasy]
- “To Brave The Mountain” by David Bowles [High Fantasy]
- “Webs” by Cindy Hernandez [Dark Fantasy]
- Serialization: The Moreland Basking Plain by Arthur Davis – Part 1 of 3
- @Weird Fiction Review: “Labyrinth” by Joshua Furst [Weird]
- @The WiFiles: “Cyber Kill” by Lawrence Buentello [Science Fiction]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows:
- @Daily Science Fiction: “Revisions” by K. C. Norton [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Enchanted Conversation: “Winter Dreams” by Carolyn Charron [Fairy Tale Flash]
- @Omni Reboot: “The Vines of Cvancara – An Alien World Ravaged by War” by Alex Kane [Dystopian Science Fiction Flash]
Written – Serialized
- @DargonZine: Sowing Seeds by Keith English: [Shared World Fantasy Serialization]
- @Kat and Mouse: Guns for Hire: In The Name Of The Father by Abner Senires – Part Seven [Cyberpunk Serial]
- @SQ Mag: The Moreland Basking Plain by Arthur Davis – Part 1 of 3 [Epic Fantasy Serialization]
- @Weird Fiction Review: Backwater by J.W. McCormack – Part III of III [Weird Serialization]
- @BBC Drama of the Week: “Dangerous Visions: Dark Minds” [Dark Science Fiction]
- Beware the Hairy Mango #238 – “Always Been Kissed” by Matthew Sanborn Smith [Moist Mango Smooches]
- @Clarkesworld Magazine: “Have Not Have” by Geoff Ryman [Science Fiction]
- Escape Pod #452 – “Repo” by Aaron Gallagher [Science Fiction]
- Pseudopod #392 – “The Dog’s Paw” by Derek Kunsken [Horror]
- Toasted Cake #112 – “Fella Down a Hole” by Amy Sisson [Fantasy]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Boxcars711 Old Time Radio Pod:
- Lights Out -“They Met At Dorset” [Ghost Story Radio Drama - from 1943]
- Murder At Midnight -“The Dead Hand” [Horror / Thriller Radio Drama - from 1946]
- The CBS Radio Mystery Theater -“The Secret Chamber” [Dark Fantasy Radio Drama - from 1976]
- The Hall Of Fantasy -“He Who Follows Me” [Dark Fantasy Radio Drama - from 1953]
- @Relic Radio:
Audio – Serialized
- @Author’s Site: Nocturnal by Scott Sigler – Episode #36 [Horror Novel Serialization]
- Cthulhu Podcast #176 – Dreams in the Witch House by H.P. Lovecraft [Horror Serialization]
- @Transmissions from Colony One: Season Two, Episode Five “Walter” [Science Fiction Serial]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
Angry Ghosts by F. Allen Farnham
Humanity was wiped out in less than two months.
The assault was methodical and efficient. Bombardment vaporized building and bone. Invasion cleared out the larger pockets of survivors. Plague finished the last few clinging to life. Extermination complete, the azure skinned beings journeyed home and resumed their normal lives.
Seven hundred years later, one of their cargo ships went missing. A burst of static preceded the disappearance, but investigations found no trace of ship or crew. Decades passed without event until another vessel vanished, again with the burst of static. Another decade. Another disappearance. Never a trace.
[Military Science Fiction Novel - Amazon]
Creator of Worlds by Ryan Murphy
Dr. Shirley Gallagher and her team of astronomers and analysts make the most astonishing discovery in human history. While on her way to brief the President of the United States, Shirley’s life is cut short in a horrific accident. Her death only marks the beginning of a much greater journey.
Born into her new life as a spirit, all of Shirley’s questions regarding the afterlife are answered, but they’re far from what she expected. Furthermore, she finds herself completely unprepared to learn of her purpose in this new world.
Thrust into a war with the Angeli, beings who helped create the human spirit, she learns that her spirit body has evolved, making her the only one physically capable of stopping the invading force. She must race through the heavens against time, a powerful evil spirit, alien beings, and demons to save the earth, the human race, and every human spirit from annihilation.
[Paranormal Fantasy Novel - Amazon]
Dark Space by Jasper T. Scott
Freelancer and ex-convict Ethan Ortane is on the run. He owes crime lord Alec Brondi 10,000 sols, and his ship is badly damaged. When Brondi catches up with him, he makes an offer Ethan can’t refuse. Ethan must infiltrate and sabotage the Valiant, the Imperial Star Systems Fleet carrier which stands guarding the entrance of Dark Space, and then his debt will be cleared. While Ethan is still undecided about what he will do, he realizes that the Imperium has been lying and putting all of Dark Space at risk. Now Brondi’s plan is starting to look like a necessary evil, but before Ethan can act on it, he discovers that the real plan was much more sinister than what he was told, and he will be lucky to escape the Valiant alive…
[Space Opera Novel - First of Series - Amazon | B&N | Kobo]
Dawn of Destiny (Epic #1) by Lee Stephen
The story of Scott Remington, a young man following a calling to war. Sacrificing a promising life that could’ve been, he embarks on a journey to follow his destiny and make a difference regardless of where it takes him.
[Military Science Fiction Novel - First of Series - Amazon]
Lost Cargo by Hollister Ann Grant
When college student Travis Maguire chases his dog into Washington, D.C.’s Rock Creek Park wilderness, he finds more than the dog — he discovers a camera with photos of a mysterious black triangular aircraft that crashed in the woods. Obsessed with the photos and the unknown photographer, Travis searches for the wreck, accompanied by two friends: beautiful Lexie Collins, who’s convinced a UFO came down outside the city, and her brother Burke, who argues that the photos must be fake. Their lives take an unimaginable turn when they encounter a six-eyed galactic animal control officer and the murderous creature he was transporting. Lost Cargo is set in the shadows of Washington’s famous streets, with wicked twists and turns and unforgettable aliens.
[Science Fiction Novel - Amazon]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction – Young Adult
Marking Time (The Immortal Descendants #1) by April White
Seventeen-year-old tagger Saira Elian can handle anything… a mother who mysteriously disappears, a stranger who stalks her around London, and even the noble English Grandmother who kicked Saira and her mother out of the family. But when an old graffiti tag in a tube station transports Saira to the 19th Century and she comes face-to-face with Jack the Ripper, she realizes she needs help after all.
[YA Time Travel Romance Novel - Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian – Young Adult
Land (Stranded #1) by Theresa Shaver
A group of teens on a class trip to Disneyland are left stranded. An EMP over North America has destroyed everything electronic. No cars, no planes, no phones, no electricity. Refusing to wait for someone else to help them, ten courageous young people take charge of their future and choose to begin the long journey home. 1500 miles of adventure and lawless country await. Will their determination be enough?
[YA Post-Apocalyptic Novel - First of Series - Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Fantasy
Blade Song (Colbana Files #1) by J.C. Daniels
Kit Colbana–half breed, assassin, thief, jack of all trades–has a new job: track down the missing ward of one of the local alpha shapeshifters. It should be a piece of cake.So why is she so nervous? It probably has something to do with the insanity that happens when you deal with shifters–especially sexy ones who come bearing promises of easy jobs and easier money.Or maybe it’s all the other missing kids that Kit discovers while working the case, or the way her gut keeps screaming she’s gotten in over her head. Or maybe it’s because if she fails–she’s dead.If she can stay just one step ahead, she should be okay. Maybe she’ll even live long to collect her fee…
[Urban Fantasy Novel - First of Series - Amazon | Kobo]
Initiation Rites: The Bones of the Earth, Part 1 by Scott Bury
The Dark Age. The Earth has turned on humanity with earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and a new plague that kills the Roman Emperor himself. Barbarian invasions shatter civilizations.
In this chaos, Javor comes of age in a poor, remote village. Try as he might, though, he never fits in with his own people. There is just something about him that keeps him apart from the others.
[Sword & Sorcery Novel - First of Series - Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Young Adult
Shrilugh (Shrilugh Saga #1) by Myndi Shafer
Nothing can explain to Aydan Fulbert how she survived the savage attack in the woods. Why her left eye, instead of being blinded by the injuries she’d sustained, had simply turned a shocking shade of silver. And nothing can explain the fact that she can hear the Stranger speaking in her mind – or that she can answer him back without using her mouth.
Nothing can explain it – unless he’s telling the truth.
[YA Contemporary Fantasy Novel - First of Series - Amazon | B&N]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Paranormal and Romance
The Burning Star (Star Series #1) by Jessie Lane
Kay’s journey of a lifetime started in the woods outside of Asheville, North Carolina. It was there that the 17 year old met a beautiful man along with a monster. The chance encounter led her to an unbelievable world that shouldn’t exist; a place where myths and fairy tales were real, and in some cases, deadly. Kay knew she would have to brave this new world if she hoped to find a cure for her terminal cancer.
[Paranormal Fantasy Romance Novel - First of Series - Amazon | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Zombies
Air: Mortal Choice (Elements of the Undead) by William Esmont
When the dead rise in Houston, Dave and Chris Thompson find themselves stranded on the top floor of the Liberty Medical Center, with nowhere to run and no help in sight. With Dave’s broken leg making movement impossible and the disintegration of civilization accelerating around them, they have to act fast, or be consumed by the seething horde below.
[Zombie Novelette - Amazon | Kobo]
Tagged with: audio fiction • fiction • free • free ebooks • free fantasy fiction • Free Fiction • free flash fiction • free horror fiction • free science fiction • mazon • serialized • serialized fiction
Filed under: Free Fiction
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!