SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-07-02
Interviews & Profiles
- Beauty in Ruins interviews James Walley, author of The Forty First Wink.
- Bleeding Cool interviews John Alan Simon, the writer/director of Radio Free Albemuth.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Katherine Harbour, author of Thorn Jack.
- New Times interviews Elizabeth Maria Naranjo, author of The Fourth Wall.
- Reddit recently hosted an AMA for Warwick Davis of the Star Wars franchise. (Highlights)
- UPI interviews Mickey Fisher, creator and executive producer of Extant.
- The Vulture interviews Bong Joon-ho, director of Snowpiercer.
- May the force be with you: George Lucas chooses Chicago for museum
- A Neil Gaiman Game is Coming Soon, just not soon enough.
- OMNI Magazine Evolves Into OMNI Reboot.
- New Board Members at SFWA.
- Tachyon Publications webiste hacked.
- Chizine’s Canada Day/Independence Day Blow-Out! July 1-4, 2014.
Events & Event News
- Alyssa Milano will appear at Barnes & Noble Tribeca on July 22, 2014 at 6PM to sign HACKTIVIST!
- Ian Doescher will appear at Powell’s City of Books in Beaverton, OR on Saturday July 12, 2014 at 2:00 pm to sign William Shakespeare’s the Jedi Doth Return!
- Zombie Apocalypse Versus Game Theory – ever wondered if Game Theory could be used to defeat or survive a Zombie apocalypse? A fantasy-based thought experiment that will be conducted within high-performance computing statistical models within both parallel R and OpenCL source code.
- Ron Germain: Demon Hunter – an over-the-top action, horror, comedy film about about A REDNECK demon hunter who battles the forces of evil in Outer Space, Inner Space, Cyberspace and TIME!
- 10 Things We Learned from This Year’s Saturn Awards
- The BBC News asks Should we fear the robots of the future? Duh.
- E-Readers Are Dying. What Does That Mean for Book Sales?
- Christian Science Monitor’s 15 classic science fiction books (mostly the usual suspects)
- Dark Horizons’ Sci-Fi Moments Poll Gets A Surprise Winner
- Did Pacific Rim realize Ishiro Honda’s ideals better than Godzilla ’14?
- Dystopian Culture’s Influence on Society: In a time of fear, crises, and anxiety dystopian futures become more popular in pop culture.
- How long does it take to watch Firefly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Research by Nielsen.
- Is JJ Abrams really the man for Episode VII?
- Is there a future for original sci-fi movies? Blastr, official blog of SyFy, thinks so. Surprise, surprise.
- My obsession with books won’t be overtaken by technology
- Now is the perfect time for Ruffalo’s Hulk film
- Robots Have Become One of Cinema’s Go-To Clichés
- A a satirical response to the idea that adults shouldn’t read YA.
- Smart Pop books offers the essay “Lisbeth Salander as a Gender Outlaw“.
- Some people think that Men should be able to read YA, too. Time to make those zombies sparkle!
- Star Trek, the Prime Directive and Paradise Engineering
- Take Me to Your Bleeder: The Monstrous Side of Aliens on Film
- Telepathic Time-Traveling Robots in Space: Hollywood’s Predictions for the Next 50 Years.
- The Top 10 most devastating TV cancellations, chosen by the ‘Nothing But Static’ podcast.
- Topless Robot picks The 10 Least Terrible Episodes of “The Time Tunnel”, but keep in mind that “least terrible” is relative. They’re still pretty bad.
- What’s Next for E-books in Libraries? Publisher’s Weekly looks ahead.
- Dan Haight on Five Reasons Why Kids Need Hard Science Fiction.
- Geek Tyrant has a gallery of Concept Art for Ron Howard’s The Dark Tower
- LEGO Series Turns Heroes Into Couch Potatoes
More Fun Stuff
- Beyond Pluto: Hubble Will Be Used to Map Out a New Target for New Horizons
- Can we grow things on Mars? NASA explores the issue.
- Download your own LEGO Star Wars C-3PO Minifig Papercraft Model
- Listen to the short story “Always Been Kissed” at Beware the Hairy Mango.
- Pixel Trek is a website that aims to create a pixel art version of the Enterprise D from Star Trek: The Next Generation that you can explore as a little pixellated Lieutenant Commander Data. I’m not sure how canonical it is, but it does seek to answer some important questions, such as “Why does a ship with a crew of 2,00 and magical replicators in every room have no toilets?”
- The Role of 3-D Printers in Libraries
- Travel back in time in style with this DeLorean Stretch Limo.
- Watch a trailer for Child of God, directed by James Franco.
- Watch the new trailer for Jupiter Ascending, then cross the premiere off your calendar, because it’s beginning to look like something you’d catch on basic cable.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!