SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-07-07
Interviews & Profiles
- Clarkesworld interviews Jeff VanderMeer, author of Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance.
- Cuddlebuggery interviews Leigh Bardugo, author of Ruin and Rising.
- Geekadelphia interviews Ian Doescher, author of Shakespeare Star Wars Trilogy.
- H24 interviews Paul Di Filippo, author of the forthcoming Matera.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Tim Waggoner, author of The Nekropolis Archives.
- Reading and Writing Podcast interviews Dean Koontz, author of The City.
- SFFWorld interviews Tom Doyle, author of American Craftsmen.
- Best Of Science Fiction and Fantasy Art: The Chesley Award Finalists!
- Doctor Who hires Frank Cottrell Boyce as writer
- Harrison Ford making a ‘rapid recovery’ from Star Wars 7 set injury reveals personal trainer
- HBO keeps optioning genre books and comics and they keep not happening.
- Now Available: Shakespeare in Hell by Amy Sterling Casil.
- The Arcane Bundle is a collection of indie, small press and self published eBooks, offered on a Pay-What-You-Want model..
Events & Event News
- Loncon 3, the 72nd World Sci-Fi Convention, will be held 14-18 August at ExCeL London.
- Invasion Sci Fi Exhibition at Stockwood Discovery Centre will be held Friday 4th July, 2014 – Sunday 31st August, 2014 in Luton in the UK. (More info)
- Walter Baumhofer – beautiful new limited edition book explores the life and work of Walter Baumhofer, one of America’s greatest illustrators.
- Whispers from the Abyss Anthology – the first ever H.P. Lovecraft inspired collection created specifically for readers on the go. All 33 spine-chilling tales are concentrated bites of terror which include works by Greg Stolze (Delta Green), Nick Mamatas (Shotguns v. Cthulhu), Tim Pratt (Marla Mason), Dennis Detwiller (Delta Green), Greg Van Eekhout (The Boy at the End of the World), and Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Future Lovecraft).
- Book Review: Mania calls The Dark Between the Stars “Epic Space Opera Reborn”
- Book Review: Strange Horizons reviews Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor.
- TV Review: CBS’s Extant isn’t the space disaster one might have feared — especially if you supply your own oxygen in the form of harmless mockery.
- Adrian Tchaikovsky offers a guest post on Crossing the Borders at Fantasy Faction.
- Alyx Dellamonica: Five Things I Learned Writing Child Of A Hidden Sea
- Angry Robot 5: Mike’s Top 5 Favorite Angry Robot Covers
- The AudioBookaneers offers their weekly round-up of audiobook releases.
- The Basic Rules of Dungeons and Dragons Have Some Cool Things To Say About Gender
- The Big Idea: Tobias S. Buckell, author of Hurricane Fever.
- BlackGate Magazine contemplates Fantasy and Roleplaying Games.
- Hannah Gomez wrote this really thought-provoking post on the Lee & Low blog asking where all of the people of color in dystopian novels have gone.
- io9 asks Which Science Fiction Or Fantasy Book Do You Want Read At Your Funeral? I cleverly choose some book that won’t be written for a very, very long time.
- Kwerey is a database devoted to recommending genre fiction by women.
- Lavie Tidhar on Jesus and the Eightfold Path now in e-book!
- Michael Dirda on horror and specialty presses [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Molly Backes begs for people to stop complaining about Harry Potter and young adult literature
- Patrick Rothfuss on The Upcoming Festivities….
- Ro Laurie Reddick explains “How Star Trek Changed My Life…“
- A Story of Friendship: Star Trek & a Wagon Train to the Stars
- Stuff looks ahead to How we’re fast catching up with Star Trek.
- What If America Had Lost the Revolutionary War? A Fourth of July thought experiment.
- Harry Potter and the ‘66 Chevrolet Owner’s Guide
- If Game of Thrones starred the cast from Family Guy
More Fun Stuff
- Exploring Tomorrow: First Contact old time radio [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, and More Authors Dress As Their Favorite Characters
- Read an excerpt from Traitor’s Blade by Sebastien de Castell at Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist.
- Scientist claims that by 2045 top species on Earth will no longer be human. The same dude also predicts that could be a problem for us. Gee, ya think?
- Supreme Court Rules JCPenney Allowed to Sacrifice Employees to Appease Cthulhu
- Watch a Retro Hour-Long PBS Special on Original Star Wars Trilogy.
- Watch Three Clips for the Indie Sci-Fi Feature I Origins at Giant Freakin Robot.
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!