SF/F/H Link Post for 2014-07-17
Interviews & Profiles
- A. R. Silverberry interviews KC Herbel, author of With a Jester of Kindness.
- Adventures in SciFi Publishing interviews Max Gladstone, author of Full Fathom Five.
- Fantasy and Science Fiction interviews Haddayr Copley-Woods, author of “Belly.”
- Geeks of Doom interviews Frank Pavich, author of Jodorowsky’s Dune.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Karl Schroeder, author of Lockstep.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Matthew Hughes, author of “A Hole in the World.”
- My Bookish Ways interviews James Lee Burke, author of Wayfaring Stranger.
- Riffle interviews Paul di Filippo, author of The Steampunk Trilogy.
- The Roundtable Podcast interviews Joe McKinney, author of Plague of the Undead.
- Screen Rant interviews Karen Gillan, who portrays Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Unlikely Story interviews Rhonda Eikamp, author of “The Occluded.”
- The 2014 ITW Thriller Award winners have been announced!
- Amazon is testing “Kindle Unlimited,” an ebook subscription service for $9.99/month
- J.R.R. Tolkien & C.S. Lewis to be subject of new “drama fantasy” film
- Spaceport UK: Locations for launch sites unveiled
- After Reset RPG – sci-fi post-apocalyptic role-playing game. Inspired by original Fallout 1&2, Baldur’s Gate and Planescape:Torment. (More)
- An Alphabet of Embers – An anthology of unclassifiables – lyrical, surreal, magical, experimental pieces that straddle the border between poetry and prose
- Audiobook Review: Adventures in SciFi Publishing reviews The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu
- Movie Review: The Escape Club reviews the latest Godzilla film
- Adding Shades of Gray by Jaime Lee Moyer
- Amazing Stories continues its list of The Greatest Science Fiction Novels of All Time.
- Amazing Stories reminds us that Even SF is Fantastical!
- August 2014 Must Reads in Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror
- Auralee Wallace brags I Think my Two-Year Old is an Alpha Hero in a guest blog at The Qwillery.
- Ben H. Winters on World of Trouble, writing Hank Palace, and losing it all…
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes‘ final scene was directed over Skype because, evidently even the director couldn’t sit all the way through it. (Que rims shot)
- D. B. Jackson On Plotting — Keeping Things Fresh at Magical Words
- Fantasy Faction offers Five Reasons To Cast Your Novel.
- John DeNardo explains why Hollywood Loves Stephen King
- L. Ron Hubbard’s Great-Grandson Is a Circus Ringmaster
- Little Red Reviewer recommends “The Lady Astronaut of Mars” by Mary Robinette Kowal.
- The Man In Two Worlds: Ben H Winters, author of World of Trouble, shares with us how he went from writing mystery novels to being a sci-fi author.
- Marvel Announces New Thor In an interview on The View, author Jason Aaron and artist Russell Dauterman announced a new ongoing Thor series. Marvel’s New Thor Is A Woman. You can read through the Marvel Comics Writers‘ Explanation of Why They’re Making Thor a Woman over at Time. The New Thor Is a Big Deal, But Not Because She’s a Woman. Not everyone is pleased, but this is not the first time Mjolnir has changed hands (or Thor has changed bodies) in the 616 continuity. (14 Characters have Previously Possessed the Power of Thor) The series debuts in October.
- Marvel’s Blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy Pays Homage to Alien Icon Alf
- Max Gladstone talks about his latest novel, Full Fathom Five in a guest post on Kowal’s blog.
- Michael Swanwick reflects on One Thing I Learned From Joyce Carol Oates
- My Shelves Runneth Over declares D.B. Jackson in a guest post on A.M. Dellamonica’s website.
- Stellar Four asks Is A Lady Thor Necessary?
- Top 10 Wonderful & Weird Science Fiction & Fantasy Musical Numbers That’ll Have You Dancing
- The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling by Ted Chiang
- What Makes Urban Fantasy? asks Gail Z. Martin at SFFWorld.
- Writing in Ink to Samarkand: “You can hear a distant thunder of hoofbeats, steadily growing louder as it approaches. It is a stratum of fantasy that looks beyond the boundary.”
- This Life-Sized R2-D2 Cake may be our last hope!
- Marc Simonetti brings Discworld to life!
- Star Wars Watercolor Series by Clémentine Campardou
More Fun Stuff
- Dorkly weighs The Pros and Cons of Fictional Pets. Make sure you read through the comments.
- Get Ready to Learn a Bunch of Awesome New Science About Pluto
- Get your own Star Trek Original Series Phaser Universal Remote Control now
- Listen to “Things Are Listening Up” by Matthew Sanborn Smith at Beware the Hairy Mango.
- Listen to StarShipSofa No 346 featuring Suzanne Palmer and Rachel Swirsky
- Read an excerpt Black Ice by Susan Krinard at Tor.com.
- Read an excerpt from The Wurms of Blearmouth by Steven Erikson at Bookworm Blues.
- Rock paper scissors lizard spock spider-man batman wizard glock: complex isn’t always better.
- Watch a Behind-the-Scenes Video dissecting the Exploding Head Scene from Scanners
- Watch a trailer for the first part of the two-movie adaptation of Hitoshi Iwaaki’s manga Parasyte.
- Watch a Teaser Trailer for the Robots vs. Mankind Film
- Workout Like Your Favorite Superheroes, Spies, and Slayers!
Filed under: Tidbits
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!