Interviews & Profiles
- Adventures in SciFi Publishing interviews M.R. Carey, author of The Girl with all the Gifts.
- Assignment X interviews Ronald D. Moore, executive producer of Outlander.
- Beauty in Ruins interviews Shane Berryhill, author of Bad Mojo.
- FanBolt interviews Marissa Meyer, author of Fairest.
- Geekexchange interviews James Gunn, director of Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Cristian Tamas interviews Professor George Slusser, Eaton science fiction collection’s Curator.
- indiewire interviews James Ward Byrkit, director of Coherence.
- NPR interviews Lev Grossman, author of The Magician’s Land.
- Seattle PI interviews Eliot Baker, author of The Last Ancient.
- Virtual Memories interviews Michael Dirda, Pulitzer Prize-winning book critic.
- DAW Books Posts Submission Guidelines for Sci-Fi manuscripts from new authors.
- New Star Wars film announced for 2016
- Star Trek 3 Delayed: More Reason The Movies Should End
Events & Event News
- Clarion West 2015 science fiction/fantasy workshop instructor list
- Brok Windsor – Lost WWII Comic Book Returns! – Lost since 1946, this is the first reprint of the wild sci-fi adventures of Brok Windsor: Doctor, adventurer, and giant.
- Scienstars – a space-based science fiction series, in the grand tradition of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Farscape and others. What sets Scienstars apart is that it also introduces ideas, practices, and principles from the new science education standards currently being evaluated and adopted across the US.
- Book Review: Mythspace reimagines mythology as science fiction
- TV Review: STARZ Outlander combines genres in a satisfying mash-up
- After the success of The Guardians of the Galaxy, What does Marvel do next?
- AudioBookaneers offers its weekly round-up of audiobook releases, including The Magician’s Land.
- Author Lou Anders discusses The Value of Being Bad in a guest post at Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist.
- BookRiot names 25+ Fantasy Stories Set at Prep School [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Bookriot suggests Excellent Alternative Apocalypse Novels, beginning with The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Eric Brown on the exploration of change in steampunk.
- Flickering Myth’s Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies of All-Time
- Guardians of the Galaxy and Chasing The Diversity Unicorn
- Guardians Of The Galaxy Is The First Post-Origin Comic Book Movie
- Guardians of the Galaxy Looks Like Quite the Sci-Fi Flick Blockbuster, but… it’s a pretender.
- “I am Groot”: The secret environmental messaging buried in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- ‘Troid Rage: Why Game Devs Should Watch Alien—and Play Metroid—Again: Maddy Myers of Paste magazine connects the influence of the film Alien on the game Metroid and looks at how subsequent imitators have failed to live up to the promise of Metroid’s original design.
- New tidbits about Peter Capaldi’s incarnation of The Doctor surface. (SPOILERS)
- “Twenty-five years after its release, The Abyss remains an oddity in director James Cameron’s filmography. But the fact that it’s an oddity seems like an oddity. The underwater sci-fi epic, about a team of commercial drillers who stumble upon a deep-sea alien civilization, wasn’t a flop by any means. It made more money than The Terminator and came very close to matching Aliens at the box office. It holds a higher critical rating than Avatar and Titanic (according to the almighty Rotten Tomatoes, at least). And yet it has utterly failed to reach the same levels of cultural saturation as Cameron’s other works.”
- What will be the next Game of Thrones? Ahead of George RR Martin’s appearance at the Edinburgh Fringe tonight, Ed Power considers other fantasy novels that could succeed on TV
- “Barnum’s Dream” is a steampunk sculpture looks like something out of a Miyazaki film.
- Battlestar Galactica 10th Anniversary Poster
- This is literally the best comic I have ever read in my life. At first, you think think that it’s going to end with an Awwwwww moment, then it takes a sharp left turn.
More Fun Stuff
- 10 Sci-Fi Technologies Moving Us Closer
- Artificial Wombs Are Coming, but the Controversy Is Already Here
- Cover reveal for The Seeker Star by Susan Jane Bigelow
- First Look At Images From Shatner’s Star Trek TNG Documentary Chaos on the Bridge
- Infographic: J. R. R. Tolkien’s 10 Tips For Writers/a>
- Inside the secret folk song Joss Whedon co-wrote while making The Avengers 2. How cool is this? BuzzFeed has the scoop and a snippet of the first song from the EP Joss is making with Shawnee Kilgore. And if you want to buy the song, it’s now available on iTunes.
- It’s official. We live in a galactic garbage disposal.
- NASA looks at sci-fi engine that defies Newtonian physics
- Ten scientific images that changed how we look at the world, including Earthrise.
- Tractor Beams Are No Longer Science Fiction. Now science needs get me one for my wrist so that I never have to reach for anything again. Please, please, please.
- Watch a trailer for Doctor Who’s First Season 8 Episode “Deep Breath”