Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- Apex Magazine #64 – September 2014
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #154 – August 21, 2014
- Clarkesworld Magazine #96 – September 2014
- @Lakeside Circus: “Sassanid Sands” by Gitte Christensen
- @Tor: “A Cup of Salt Tears” by Isabel Yap
- @AE – The Canadian Science Fiction Review:
- Apex Magazine #64 – September 2014 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #154 – August 21, 2014 [Fantasy Magazine]
- “The Angel Azrael Delivers Justice to the People of the Dust” by Peter Darbyshire
- “Seeing” by Stephen V. Ramey
- Audio:“Five Fruits I Ate in Sandar Land” by Michael Haynes
- Audio Vault:“Precious Meat” by Catherine S. Perdue [Fantasy]
- Clarkesworld Magazine #96 – September 2014 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- “Falling Star” by Brendan DuBois [Science Fiction – from 2010]
- “Giants” by Peter Watts [Science Fiction]
- “Her Furry Face” by Leigh Kennedy [Science Fiction – from 1983]
- “Patterns of a Murmuration, in Billions of Data Points” by JY Yang [Science Fiction]
- “Spring Festival: Happiness, Anger, Love, Sorrow, Joy” by Xia Jia [Science Fiction]
- “Weather” by Susan Palwick [Science Fiction – also available in audio]
- @The Colored Lens:
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- @Dark Futures: “Nightfall In The Glade” by Doug Langille [Dark Science Fiction]
- @GigaNotoSaurus: “The Curator’s Job” by Laura E. Price [Fantasy – also available as eBook]
- Ideomancer #13.3 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- @Lakeside Circus: “Within Without” by Henry Szabranski [Science Fiction – also available in audio]
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- @Mad Scientist Journal:
- @Nightmare Magazine:
- @Omni Reboot: “Life in the Carbyne Age” by Paul Di Filippo [Science Fiction]
- @The WiFiles:
- @Author’s Site: “Living the Legend” by Kristine Kathryn Rusch [Fantasy]
- @Author’s Site: “New Paradigm” by Vincent Asaro [Dark Science Fiction]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows:
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- “A Note to Parents Regarding the Beginning and End of Time Diorama Presentations for Ms. Miller’s Third Grade Class” by Rebecca Schwarz [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Changing the Past” by Barton Paul Levenson [Alternative History Flash]
- “Cover Letter” by Dani Atkinson [Fantasy Flash]
- “Dancing” by M. E. Garber [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Departure Gate 34B” by Kary English [Fantasy Flash]
- “Do Not Count the Withered Ones” by Caroline M. Yoachim [Magic Realism Flash]
- “Future’s Market” by Mitchell Edgeworth [Time Travel Flash]
- “Ghosts of Mars” by Edoardo Albert [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Good Kids” by Shannon Peavey [Magic Realism Flash]
- “Sugar and Spice” by Melissa Mead [Fairy Tale Flash]
- “Switch” by Jonathan L. Miller [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Love Letter” by Brynn MacNab [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Middle Ones” by J. Spear [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Turn” by Tara Isabella Burton [Fantasy Flash]
- “Time is Money” by John D. Sperry [Magic Realism Flash]
- @Every Day Fiction:
- “Captain Bartholomew Quasar and the Bandits on Consortium Moon Prime” by Milo James Fowler [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Dads” by Walter Lawn [Surreal Flash]
- “Little Fish” by Scott James [Fantasy Flash]
- “Pastroale No. 3: The Longboat Burial” by Gerald Warfield [Fantasy Flash]
- “Syrek and the Curious Blessing” by Sylvia Hiven [Paranormal Fantasy Flash]
- “Talking Animals” by Spencer German Ellsworth [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Dybbuk Rosebush” by Sarah Crysl Akhtar [Fantasy Flash]
- “Trial by Comedy” by Lance J. Mushung [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Farther Stars Than These:
- @Flashes in the Dark:
- @Lakeside Circus: “Sassanid Sands” by Gitte Christensen [Fantasy Flash]
- @Omni Reboot: “I Am Married To The Cosmos” by Peter Milne Greiner [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Yesteryear Fiction:
Written – Serialized
- @HiLobrow: King Goshawk by Eimar O’Duffy: [Satirical Science Fiction Serialization – from 1926]
- @Kat and Mouse: Guns for Hire: Stand Off by Abner Senires – Part Six [Cyberpunk Serial]
- @Legend of the Five Rings:
- @Mad Scientist Journal: The Eversible Antarctic Sky by James Hanson: [Alternative History Serialization]
- @madgeniusclub: Elf Blood by Sarah A. Hoyt – Chapter 24 [Fantasy Novel Serialization]
- @Author’s Site: Musketeer Space by Tansy Rayner Roberts – Part 16 – “Cinquefoil For Beginners” [Space Opera Serialization]
- @Author’s Site: The Greenland Diaries by Patrick Marsh: [Post-Apocalyptic Serial]
- @Beam Me Up! Podcast:
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies Audio Vault #4 – “Precious Meat” by Catherine S. Perdue [Fantasy]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies Podcast #132 – “Five Fruits I Ate in Sandar Land” by Michael Haynes [Fantasy]
- @Beware the Hairy Mango:
- @Cast of Wonders:
- @Clarkesworld Magazine:
- The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine #163 – “Switching” by Bria Burton [Science Fiction / Fantasy]
- @Escape Pod:
- @Far Fetched Fables:
- #16 –“Of Men and Wolves” by An Owomoyela and “Stray” by Benjamin Rosenbaum and David Ackert [Fantasy]
- #18 –“The Funeral, Ruined” by Ben Peek and “Poison” by Bruce McAllister [Fantasy]
- #19 –“Perchance to Dream” by Isobelle Carmody and “The Weather Cinema” by Adam Browne [Fantasy]
- #20 –“The Shooter at the Heartrock Waterhole” by Bill Congreve and “The Comb” by Marly Youmans [Fantasy]
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- @Nightmare Magazine:
- @Tales To Terrify:
- @Toasted Cake:
- #117 –“Blood Willows” by Caroline M. Yoachim [Fantasy]
- #118 –“Last Band Standing” by Siobhan O’Flynn [Horror / Comedy]
- #119 –“Other Theories of Relativity” by Nicole J. LeBoeuf and “Mon pays c’est l’hiver” by Amal El-Mohtar [Speculative Flash Fiction]
- #120 –“The Truth About Woodpeckers” by Folly Blaine [Fantasy]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Boxcars711 Old Time Radio Pod:
- Beyond Tomorrow –“The Thing Happens” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1963]
- Exploring Tomorrow –“The Liar” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1958]
- Space Patrol –“The Top Secret D-ray” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1953]
- “Part 1 of 2″
- “Part 2 of 2″
- X Minus One –“Shanghaied” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1955]
- @Relic Radio:
Audio – Serialized
- @Cast of Wonders: #134 – Flowers For The Dead by Jamie Mason: [YA Dystopian Fantasy]
- @Cthulhu Podcast: #179 – Dreams in the Witch House by H.P. Lovecraft: [Horror Serialization]
- @Transmissions from Colony One: Season Two, Episode Eleven “Decimated” [Science Fiction Serial]
- @Welcome to Night Vale:
- @Author’s Site: Nocturnal by Scott Sigler: [Horror Novel Serialization]
Free eBooks – Various Speculative Subgenres
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
Star Chase – The Lost Prince by Saxon Andrew
The worlds in the Orion Nebula had been planning rebellion against the Galactic Union for more than a hundred years. Now the rebellion has started with a sneak attack against the Royal Family on Euclid. The planetary defenses were temporarily suppressed and the attack on the Royal Palace killed everyone including half of the invaders. But one member of the Royal Family wasn’t in the palace when the invaders struck. The attackers were forced to flee as the Obelisk began defeating the suppression field and began to come back on line. The attacking transports fled the planet but not before two of them were vaporized. Before they left Euclid, they determined that the Prince was no longer on the planet.
[Science Fiction Adventure Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels) by Michael McCloskey
Telisa Relachik studied to be a xenoarchaeologist in a future where humans have found alien artifacts but haven’t ever encountered live aliens. Of all the aliens whose extinct civilizations are investigated, the Trilisks are the most advanced and the most mysterious.
[Science Fiction Adventure Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction – Young Adult
“Weapon-X “ by Reuben Hollenbeck
In the aftermath of a devastating alien attack, there is little of anything left. Tangre and his family need to escape to middle earth, one of the few areas untouched by war and the mecca for all those who survived and are willing to start over. The journey to middle earth is long and treacherous with alien sentries prowling the ruinous earth and savages looking for what to eat, plunder and destroy. Tangre was a weapons developer for the Earth’s army before the war. If they are to make it alive….there would be no better time for him to utilize those skills. His ingenuity and craftiness will be the most important part of their journey. But will it be enough for them to survive the treacherous journey?
[YA Science Fiction Short Story – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian – Young Adult
Andromeda (Andromeda #1) by Amy Bartelloni
Ten years after a pandemic swept the globe, survivors were forced into factions and camps in order to survive…
Jade and Sera are two orphans who have found refuge in a government camp. It is there where Jade falls in love with a young soldier, Anyon. But Anyon has his own secrets, carefully guarding a past that involves Sera. But before Jade and Anyon admit their feelings to each other the camp is attacked and they’re separated.
Jade knows to lead Sera to Albany, the last free camp in the east, but the road is dangerous.
Not only must they dodge pockets of infection, but they are threatened by drifters and gangs. When they arrive in Albany, they find it deserted.
Anyon and his friend Malachi are close on their heels, but not close enough. The Provisional Government is on a mission, and no one is quite prepared for what lies ahead…
[YA Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Game (The Game is Life Book 1) by Terry Schott
What if life as we know it was just a game? What if, instead of traditional schools, children learned by participating in a virtual reality simulation, one that allowed them to experience “life” from birth to death — multiple times?
What if one player, on his final play, could change the world forever…?
[YA Dystopian Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Steampunk
Assassins of the Steam Age (Aetherium #1) by Joseph Robert Lewis
When the local airfield is destroyed, Taziri Ohana is the only airship pilot left to help the marshals chase the killers across the skies of Marrakesh. But the case becomes terrifyingly personal when Taziri finds that her enemies have turned her own inventions into weapons and her family’s survival may hang in the balance.
Meanwhile, exiled Incan princess Qhora and her swashbuckling lover Lorenzo face a gauntlet of assassins, cruel aristocrats, and wealthy industrialists conspiring against the very Queen that Taziri is trying to save, and her country’s only hope for peace may be her crippled airship plummeting out of the burning sky.
Welcome to a world where strange machines sail the seas and the skies, enormous prehistoric beasts roam the earth, and the restless dead whisper to the living.
[Steampunk / Historical Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy
Children of the Shaman: A Journey through Ice and Time by Jessica Rydill
Annat Vasilyevich is a young shaman who longs to escape her strict aunt and the small village where she grew up. She wants to use the powers that are growing stronger now she is no longer a child.
When she and her brother go to live with their shaman father, who works as a guard on the steam railway, it seems her dreams of adventure will be realised. He takes them to the northern terminus, a place on the edge of maps…
[Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
In the House of Five Dragons by Erica Lindquist and Aron Christensen
He is not the hero they remember. This is not the world he knew.
Thirty years have passed since the bloody battle of Njorn Pass, since Rikard Mazrem traded his life away to the Alterra to save his dying men. Defeat became victory and an empire was born. For decades, the people of Carce have revered Rikard as a hero.
But now Rikard has returned to find the world changed. Or perhaps he is the one who has changed…
[Epic Fantasy Novel – Amazon]
Innocence Lost: A story from the kingdom of Saarland (For Queen And Country) by Patty Jansen
Johanna is the daughter of a rich merchant in the kingdom of Saarland. As only child and without a mother, she has grown up with notions, such as that she wants to take over her father’s river trade business in her own name. Courtesy of her eastern mother, she has an unusual ability. She sees things in willow wood: whenever she touches wood, it shows her what has happened around the tree or wooden object. Any kind of magic is not common in Saardam, and the Church of the Triune, which rapidly gains influence in the city, forbids it.
While she goes to church, Johanna also maintains a loose network of magic-enabled people. One of those people is Loesie, a farmer’s daughter from out of town.
One day, Loesie comes to town after having been struck mute by magic. She carries a basket made from willow twigs that tells Johanna that a group of bandits with demons is about to attack the city.
But there is no non-magical proof, so she can’t tell anyone or she’d be branded a witch. The time of witch-burnings was not that long ago.
[Historical Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Black Parade by Kyoko M
Jordan Amador. 21. New Yorker. Waitress. Mild alcoholic. Murderer.
Two years ago, Jordan accidentally shot and killed a Seer: a person who can see, hear, and talk to ghosts with unfinished business. Her crime came with a hefty price, too. She has two years to help a hundred souls cross over to the afterlife or her soul is bound for hell. Tough break.
As if that weren’t bad enough, two days before her deadline a handsome pain-in-the-ass poltergeist named Michael strolls into her life. His soul is the key to her salvation, but the cost just might be more than she can handle. Solving his death puts her right in the crosshairs of Belial: a vain, bloodthirsty archdemon who won’t rest until she’s his slave. Can she rescue Michael and save her own soul, or will they both be dragged down into the clutches of the eternal black parade?
[Dark Urban Fantasy Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Young Adult
Finding Alice (Alice Clark #1) by Andrea DiGiglio
Cursed with an intense version of empathy Alice runs from a wasted life to start a new one somewhere no one will know her; Hell, Michigan. Alice works at a hole-in-the-wall bar in the middle of nowhere mostly keeping to herself to avoid the overwhelming emotions of those around her. She allows her best friend to convince her into taking a few college classes without realizing it would drastically change her life forever. From her first day of class she was hooked on him; his scent, his eyes, the way he talked to her inside her head.
Throughout her struggles she learns about true love, true pain and the truth of her own heritage. Alice must quickly find out who she is because after all everyone else is out to find her. With Angels and Bounty Hunter’s in constant pursuit she finds protection within a group of Fallen Angels. These Fallen Angels vow to do anything to protect her; for it is their belief she will save their kind and all of mankind.
[YA Paranormal Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Witch Crystal (Witches of Zrotaz #1) by Malika Gandhi
The Witch Crystal was silent, hidden from the clutches of the High Witch, somewhere, where she couldn’t find him. The time has now arrived to show what it can do…
Larissa, a fifteen-year-old witch with powers beyond her years is unknown to what they can really do. She is told about a prophecy that only she and the Witch Crystal must fulfill.
An abduction of her best friend brings the mysterious to the forefront, and Larissa is faced with the task of finding the Earth Spirits, and to repair the Aurora Borealis as the prophecy states. Will Larissa be brave? Will she be able to accomplish her set tasks?
[YA Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Vampires
Vendetta (Amaranthine Blood #1) by Elise Valente
The odd scent she’d picked up earlier, combined with this girl’s unnatural speed, suddenly clicked in her mind. Rage flooded her when she realized what it meant.
They’ve turned her, she thought as she followed the girl into the woods. They turned a child and set her loose to hunt her. Sick.
When the immortals have an eternity, the games they play become more macabre. It’s Sanaan’s job, and personal mission, to see the game’s masters annihilated. After all, they are the same people who destroyed her life and all her hopes for the future, creating a monster with an obsessive need for revenge.
[Dark Vampire Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Horror
The God Killers by David Simpson
Imagine an alternate reality that appears, on the surface, just like our own. However, in this reality, the white light famously reported at the end of our lives is not an escape or deliverance — it is a trap. A creature calling itself God in a parallel dimension consumes the souls of humans, devouring their energy to sustain itself. This is the reality that Cipher, Han, Natalie and Father Hurley inhabit in The God Killers. Each has had near death experiences (NDE’s) and each was resuscitated before their souls were consumed, coming back to Earth horrified by the truth: there is no exit.
Now they must attempt the only course of action available to them: they must kill God. With the help of satanic messages decoded from the nonsensical ramblings of the possessed, the group must evade ghosts and demons on their mission to not only save their lives, but, more importantly, their afterlives as well.
[Horror Novel – Amazon]