FINALISTS: 2015 Hugo Award

The finalists for the 2015 Hugo Award have been announced.

UPDATES

2015 Hugo Awards

The finalists are…

Best Novel

(1827 nominating ballots)

Best Novella
(1083 nominating ballots)
Best Novelette
(1031 nominating ballots)
Best Short Story
(1174 nominating ballots)
  • Goodnight Stars”, Annie Bellet (The End is Now (Apocalypse Triptych Book 2), Broad Reach Publishing)**
  • On A Spiritual Plain”, Lou Antonelli (Sci Phi Journal #2, 11-2014)
  • The Parliament of Beasts and Birds”, John C. Wright (The Book of Feasts & Seasons, Castalia House)
  • “A Single Samurai” by Steven Diamond (The Baen Big Book of Monsters, Baen Books)***
  • Totaled”, Kary English (Galaxy’s Edge Magazine, 07-2014)
  • Turncoat”, Steve Rzasa (Riding the Red Horse, Castalia House)
Best Related Work
(1150 nominating ballots)
  • “The Hot Equations: Thermodynamics and Military SF”, Ken Burnside (Riding the Red Horse, Castalia House)
  • Letters from Gardner, Lou Antonelli (The Merry Blacksmith Press)
  • Transhuman and Subhuman: Essays on Science Fiction and Awful Truth, John C. Wright (Castalia House)
  • “Why Science is Never Settled”, Tedd Roberts (Baen.com, Part 1, Part 2)
  • Wisdom from My Internet, Michael Z. Williamson (Patriarchy Press)
Best Graphic Story
(785 nominating ballots)
  • Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal, written by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Adrian Alphona and Jake Wyatt, (Marvel Comics)
  • Rat Queens Volume 1: Sass and Sorcery, written by Kurtis J. Weibe, art by Roc Upchurch (Image Comics)
  • Saga Volume 3, written by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Fiona Staples (Image Comics))
  • Sex Criminals Volume 1: One Weird Trick, written by Matt Fraction, art by Chip Zdarsky (Image Comics)
  • The Zombie Nation Book #2: Reduce Reuse Reanimate, Carter Reid (The Zombie Nation)
Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
(1285 nominating ballots)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier, screenplay by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely, concept and story by Ed Brubaker, directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo (Marvel Entertainment, Perception, Sony Pictures Imageworks)
  • Edge of Tomorrow, screenplay by Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth, and John-Henry Butterworth, directed by Doug Liman (Village Roadshow, RatPac-Dune Entertainment, 3 Arts Entertainment; Viz Productions)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy, written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman, directed by James Gunn (Marvel Studios, Moving Picture Company)
  • Interstellar, screenplay by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, directed by Christopher Nolan (Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, Legendary Pictures, Lynda Obst Productions, Syncopy)
  • The Lego Movie, written by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, story by Dan Hageman, Kevin Hageman, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, directed by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller (Warner Bros. Pictures, Village Roadshow Pictures, RatPac-Dune Entertainment, LEGO System A/S, Vertigo Entertainment, Lin Pictures, Warner Bros. Animation (as Warner Animation Group))
Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form
(938 nominating ballots)
  • Doctor Who: “Listen”, written by Steven Moffat, directed by Douglas Mackinnon (BBC Television)
  • The Flash: “Pilot”, teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns, story by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns, directed by David Nutter (The CW) (Berlanti Productions, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television)
  • Game of Thrones: “The Mountain and the Viper”, written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, directed by Alex Graves ((HBO Entertainment in association with Bighead, Littlehead; Television 360; Startling Television and Generator Productions)
  • Grimm: “Once We Were Gods”, written by Alan DiFiore, directed by Steven DePaul (NBC) (GK Productions, Hazy Mills Productions, Universal TV)
  • Orphan Black: “By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried”, ” written by Graham Manson, directed by John Fawcett (Temple Street Productions, Space/BBC America)
Best Editor, Short Form
  • Nick Greenwood
  • Alan Pollack
  • Carter Reid
Best Semiprozine
(660 nominating ballots)
  • Abyss & Apex, Wendy Delmater editor and publisher
  • Andromeda Spaceways In-Flight Magazine, Andromeda Spaceways Publishing Association Incorporated, 2014 editors David Kernot and Sue Bursztynski
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies, edited by Scott H. Andrews
  • Lightspeed Magazine, edited by John Joseph Adams, Stefan Rudnicki, Rich Horton, Wendy N. Wagner, and Christie Yant
  • Strange Horizons, Niall Harrison, editor-in-chief
Best Fanzine
(576 nominating ballots)
  • Black Gate, edited by John O’Neill
  • Elitist Book Reviews, edited by Steven Diamond
  • Journey Planet, edited by James Bacon, Christopher J Garcia, Lynda E. Rucker, Pete Young, Colin Harris, and Helen J.Montgomery
  • The Revenge of Hump Day, edited by Tim Bolgeo
  • Tangent SF Online, edited by Dave Truesdale
Best Fancast
(668 nominating ballots)
  • Adventures in SciFi Publishing, Brent Bowen (Executive Producer), Kristi Charish, Timothy C. Ward & Moses Siregar III (Co-Hosts, Interviewers and Producers)
  • Dungeon Crawlers Radio, Daniel Swenson (Producer/Host), Travis Alexander & Scott Tomlin (Hosts), Dale Newton (Host/Tech), Damien Swenson (Audio/Video Tech)
  • Galactic Suburbia Podcast, Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce, Tansy Rayner Roberts (Presenters) and Andrew Finch (Producer)
  • The Sci Phi Show, Jason Rennie
  • Brad W. Foster
  • Elizabeth Leggett
  • Spring Schoenhuth
  • Steve Stiles
The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer
(851 nominating ballots)

Award for the best new professional science fiction or fantasy writer of 2013 or 2014, sponsored by Dell Magazines. (Not a Hugo Award, but administered along with the Hugo Awards.)

• Wesley Chu*
  • Jason Cordova
  • Kary English*
  • Rolf Nelson
  • Eric S. Raymond

*Finalists in their 2nd year of eligibility.

2122 valid nominating ballots (2119 electronic and 3 paper) were received and counted from the members of Loncon 3, Sasquan, and MidAmeriCon II the 2014, 2015, and 2016 World Science Fiction Conventions.

A list of the top 15 nominees in each category, along with the number of nominations received by each, will be released after the Hugo Awards Ceremony on Saturday, 22 August, 2015 at Sasquan.

Congratulations to all the finalists!

See also: Past winners

UPDATE: Thanks to Old Miser for free fiction linkage!

About John DeNardo (13013 Articles)
John DeNardo is the Managing Editor at SF Signal and a columnist at Kirkus Reviews. He also likes bagels. So there.

69 Comments on FINALISTS: 2015 Hugo Award

1. Paul Weimer (@PrinceJvstin) // April 4, 2015 at 2:43 pm //

Congratulations to the Nominees.

2. Congratulations to the Nominees who earned their nominations the old fashioned way

3. StephenB // April 4, 2015 at 3:08 pm //

a sad business, in my humble opinion

4. AmyCat - Book Universe // April 4, 2015 at 3:09 pm //

Hoping all the reactionaries and bigots who put Wright & V.D. on the ballot were supporting memberships; do NOT want to deal with them at the con! 🙁

• Bob Wilkins // April 4, 2015 at 4:42 pm //

Wow. That comment was rather bigoted and reactionary, don’t you think?

• WorldCon…where diversity means “only people that agree with me!!!”

• Under Sad Puppies diversity is a bad word as most on the sad puppy slate are white male Americans – when someone else makes the ballot they claim the only reason it happened was because the process was fixed because if you’re not American, not white and/or not straight you can’t have talent

• stendec // April 6, 2015 at 6:10 pm //

“Under Sad Puppies diversity is a bad word as most on the sad puppy slate are white male Americans”

Vox Day is of Mexican and Native American ancestry. Also Sue Bursztynski who denounced Sad Puppies below in these comments is presumably a woman and she got nominated because of Sad Puppies.

Also next years Sad Puppies curator is a woman.

I have seen a lot of comments here and elsewhere making similar false claims. Where are you guys getting your information?

5. Amycat – I understand the sentiment, but some of us supporting members joined so we could vote in the traditional way – as in not from a voting slate.

6. Jerry Gaiser // April 4, 2015 at 3:28 pm //

Vox Day again? For Best Editor – Short Form? Sad Puppies gotta be Sad Puppies

7. well, this ballot is . . . . a surprise.

8. Samuel Carter // April 4, 2015 at 4:12 pm //

How can the Hugos be good as long as they’re just a popularity contest?

• Ian Monroe // April 5, 2015 at 1:45 pm //

They were fun when they were a popularity contest. How could you possibly think this was a popularity contest? I must’ve missed it when Castalia House became the top publisher.

I don’t see what to do outside of taking nomination rights from supporting members.

• tom Monaghan // April 5, 2015 at 4:51 pm //

Oh The Hugo’s were better when TOR gets 3 out of the 5 Best Long Form Editors nominations.? Something that’s happened 3 times in the last 9 years? And they won 5 out of the last 8.

• Paul Oldroyd // April 5, 2015 at 5:01 pm //

Well, whether they were better or not is a matter of taste. I take it the taste isn’t yours. I assume that you are one of the people who think that a minority block voting is an appropriate way to express dissatisfaction to the majority of fans?

• Ian Monroe // April 7, 2015 at 12:17 pm //

Yes it was better. Tor doesn’t just have a large presence in the Hugo awards traditionally, they have a large presence on any SciFi bookshelf or bookstore that I’ve seen. It’s entirely appropriate.

• Paul Oldroyd // April 7, 2015 at 12:51 pm //

And you think that TOR having a large presence is a *political* thing? That they prefer to publish books that don’t make them money rather than publish books that would make them loads of money?

I think you might need some education in economics, Ian.

• Ian Monroe // April 7, 2015 at 1:56 pm //

> And you think that TOR having a large presence is a *political* thing?

Um no I don’t. Who do you think you are replying to? As long as you are criticizing my skills in economics (?) I will note you need some education in reading comprehension and threaded comments specifically.

• Paul Oldroyd // April 7, 2015 at 2:00 pm //

Ooops. As you say, can’t read threaded comments. Apologies.

9. Scott Laz // April 4, 2015 at 4:51 pm //

Is this one of those April Fool’s Day things…?

10. msteelberg // April 4, 2015 at 5:13 pm //

“Congratulations to all the finalists!” Really? I thought sfsignal stood for more than that. Sadly disappointing. Really.

• How do you know it wasn’t sarcastic?

• My apologies in that case, but not the clearest use of sarcasm I’ve seen. How do you really feel?

• Maybe he doesn’t want to say because half his audience will be pissed off no matter what he says.

• Short version: This is a speculative fiction blog, not a blog about politics.

• I don’t think this is as much about politics as it is about manipulation and cheating. Unless you really believe that there is any credence to the notion that a left wing conspiracy has left popular entertainments off the ballot for many years.

This is a very serious subject. Last year was embarrassing. This year is a travesty. And there are no plans, I hear, to fix any of the procedures in place with Hugo voting for another two years. So if you don’t cover politics on this blog, you won’t even need bother announcing the nominees next year.

The Hugo may have just lost any of the relevance it may have have had. And Worldcon itself may not be very far behind in that regard either. At this point I’d rather go to Dragoncon in Atlanta than waste my time in Spokane.

SF may be about to be more political than it’s ever been, but it’s also getting smaller than it’s ever been. We’re fighting smaller and smaller turf wars while the mainstream co-opts our best writers. Soon there’s not going to be anybody left to care.

• I remember a few years back when you guys posted that meme image of Obama with a fairly tame joke about him and everyone freaked the fuck out over it.

Good times.

11. Vox Day is worse than ISIS!!!!1!

12. It says “with fre fiction links.” I assume that comes later? I need to start TODAY if I have even a tiny hope of reading more than one or two.

13. David Greybeard // April 4, 2015 at 6:33 pm //

Wow. It’s a golden day for Homophobes and the Anti-Marriage Equality Crowd. Good Gods, I’ve never witnessed such a sad day for the Hugos. Sadness for the SF/F/H reading world.

14. Cheer up lefties, you’ve been so successful in the culture wars that you are stunned and outraged when anyone puts up any resistance. You’ve lost this battle but you’ll win the war.

• StephenB // April 4, 2015 at 6:58 pm //

Looks more like vandalism than a “battle”.

• Jerry Gaiser // April 4, 2015 at 8:13 pm //

So, you agree with Vox Day’s view of SF? No women? No people of color? Nobody left of Vox Day?

• stendec // April 6, 2015 at 1:09 pm //

You are a funny person with a funny view of the world.

Vox is Hispanic

Sarah Hoyt is a woman

Sad Puppies 4 will be curated by a woman

And he publishes, let me repeat that, publishes writers to the left of him. (though to be honest it is near impossible to publish anyone to the right of him.)

I disagree with the lots of Vox’s political views and find it very odd that you have to use a straw man to disagree with him with so many real targets to go after.

Note: I had no idea who Vox Day was or what Sad Puppies was up until like a week ago so using the excuse that you did not know these things which I mentioned above is no excuse.

• Paul Oldroyd // April 7, 2015 at 2:45 am //

Vox Day is a racist, sexist homophobe. His ethnic origin doesn’t alter that one little bit.

• stendec // April 8, 2015 at 6:33 pm //

I think I already put your racist claim to bed.

As to your sexist homophobe claim I wonder then why Vox put “Goodnight Stars” by Annie Bellet on his Rabid Puppies slate.

Here is what Annie Bellet says about herself:

“I am a socialist, if I have to quantify my political leanings. I’d vote Elizabeth Warren into the presidency if she ran, though she’s still not liberal enough for me (but she’s smart enough, too smart to run probably, hah), if that gives an idea of what I mean here.

I am queer in that I am an out bisexual who has had more female partners than male.”

If he is homophobic it seems odd that he would put her work on his rabid puppies slate

• Vox seems to pick a random ancestor out of his lineage to claim an ethnicity when it suits him. I’ve also heard claims he’s Native American and here’s a quote from his blog: If one considers that it took my English and German ancestors more than one thousand years to become fully civilized after their first contact with advanced Greco-Roman civilization . . .

So far I’ve heard claims he’s also Native American.

• stendec // April 8, 2015 at 6:19 pm //

“Vox seems to pick a random ancestor out of his lineage to claim an ethnicity when it suits him.”

So you are saying his ethnicity is diverse and he identifies with them….

I don’t think this is a point that helps your argument.

And to his view on human history and civilization well I can say I disagree with it…of course I also disagree with Kim Stanley Robinson’s view on history and civilization as well and still think ‘the years of salt and rice” is a very good book worth reading and perhaps even worth a Hugo back when it was up depending on whatever else was up that year.

15. StephenB // April 4, 2015 at 9:37 pm //

It doesn’t advance any sane political or cultural cause to damage the Hugo Awards, a cherished and useful and harmless institution.

16. OldMiser // April 4, 2015 at 11:33 pm //

The novella “Flow” by Arlan Andrews, Sr. seems to have been published in the November 2014 issue of Analog rather than on Tor.com. See https://www.analogsf.com/2014_11/index.shtml .

17. Paul Oldroyd // April 5, 2015 at 8:12 am //

Sad Day.

I understand that the hijacking of the Hugos this year was all done above board and legally. Which means that if people of the sad / rabid puppy slates are not all voted below no award, we’re going to get into a few years of competing slates rather than a nomination process that truly reflects what Worldcon members think was the best SF of the year. And given that I would somewhat inevitably want to vote for works or people on both slates, I don’t want to see this happen.

Voting now award in a number of categories is the only sane thing to do this year.

18. Alan Ziebarth // April 5, 2015 at 8:50 am //

While I’m totally enraged by this outcome, they gamed the rules legally. While I’m tempted to vote No Award on most things I don’t really agree with this tactic. We should be bigger than them and vote for the Hugos like we always do.If we don’t we will just be proving their paranoia about SJWs and conspiratorial left wing whatever. Those that we think artistically should not get a Hugo should go below No Award not just Sad Puppies nominees. But I’m afraid that the only way to stop this block voting is to limit voting rights to attending members. And tat is so sad.

19. I thought last year’s ballot was off kilter, but this is bizarre. Not knowing the politics and machinations, I was shocked that any one person would appear so many times. Hearing the fix was in, for whatever reason, just makes me terribly sad. There goes the credibility of the Hugo Awards. Hope those who put politics before quality in their voting choices are satisfied, I doubt most readers will be.

20. PatrickM // April 5, 2015 at 3:15 pm //

Congratulations to such excellent writers as Wright who have not only an excellent writing skill but also willing to break the SJW stranglehold on what is/is not acceptable to their rather abnormal, deviant and Marxist worldview.

• Paul Oldroyd // April 5, 2015 at 4:10 pm //

I think I’m going to appropriate Social Justice Warrior. I quite like it. Not sure where abnormal and deviant comes into it, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

So Patrick, please tell this particular SJW how a group of 200 or so people all voting as instructed for a certain slate breaks this alleged stranglehold?

21. DAMN IT, IT’S THE WRITING THAT MATTERS NOT THE POLITICS, GENDER, RACE, OR ANYTHING ELSE!

22. Some days ago, Andromeda Spaceways received an email telling us the wonderful news that we were on the Hugo a shortlist and asking us if we accepted and for a sample for the Hugo packet. For most of the time, we rejoiced and chatted happily about how we could use this to make more sales. We’re proud of what we produce. We’re a small magazine that has been going for several years now, and launched many careers by people you have probably heard of, since they have been shortlisted in the Hugos and Nebulas and World Fantasy Awards. We love publishing new writers. On Good Friday, one of our members discovered that we had been nominated by a group of American right wingers of whom we had never heard and that there was a quarrel going on about it in US fandom. And more recently, these nutcases have insisted that they told everyone they nominated and gave them the chance to withdraw. Untrue! If they had asked us we would have told them to get lost.

So, I am saying here and now, we have no connection with them and have not been asked if we wanted to be on their slate. Not ever.

23. Placing works that appear on a voting slate below No Award is a vote against organized block voting. Anyone on a slate can remove themselves from the controversy by disavowing their inclusion on the slate, like Andromeda Soaceways magazine just did in a previous comment. Good for you Andromeda – and thank you for that. I’ll now be including you magazine on my list of things to consider for the award.
    Taking the above action is not making a statement for or against the political choice that sad puppies are trying to turn the awards into. its a vote against the whole concept of block voting and slates – regardless of where a slate comes from or the motivations behind it.
    There are two paths we can go down in the future – one with competing slates that distort the entire award system, or one that firmly rejects turning the awards into a litmus test of fan’s political affiliations. I’ll strongly suggest that the latter is where we want to go.
    Regarding ‘fixing’ this: at least one motion will be introduced at the WSFS business meeting this year designed to minimize the effects of bloc voting. Even if passed, those new rules will not go into effect until the 2017 Worldcon (WSFS works in deliberate ways — slow and ponderous but usually effective), so we need to “gird our loins” and continue to support and participate in the process. (We don’t want to abandon it to those who want to game the system). And right now staying with the process while rejecting this nastiness means – place anyone on a slate BELOW No Award (unless of course they’ve disclaimed involvement. then – consider the heck out of them for an award!

• stendec // April 6, 2015 at 1:36 pm //

“Good for you Andromeda – and thank you for that. I’ll now be including you magazine on my list of things to consider for the award.”

Ummm…

If the sad puppies slate put Amdromeda up for nomination perhaps the other works are worthy as well. Maybe instead of no-award you should be asking people to actually look at the works rather then blind disapproval. Is it really so impossible that there might be are other gems in there as well?

• They were not nominated for their merits so why should they be voted for based on merit? No one honestly believes that John C. Wright deserves six separate nominations. Yes, the system was gamed within the rules but I don’t intend to pretend these are real nominations and should be treated as if they were put up honestly. It’s unfortunate that this group screwed things up this much but the only real response is to hand out a pile of “no awards.”

• stendec // April 6, 2015 at 6:00 pm //

“but the only real response is to hand out a pile of “no awards.””

But the only reason Andromeda Spaceways got a nomination is because it was on the Sad Puppies slate. Steve above is saying it is OK to consider them now because they denounced the slate. Why must there be a weird purity test where a creator must drag themselves into the public spot light and do the perp walk? Is it so hard for members to simply read the work and see if it is any good?

Isn’t throwing out deserving work that could be among the nominations worse then the supposed sins that you claim sad puppies committed?

• Nope. Unfortunately, the Sad Puppy slate has removed the ability to vote on merit. Everyone on that slate now has a big asterisk next to their nomination saying “nominated for some silly political cause regardless of what they actually did.” Which is why it’s so sad. Even if Andromeda Spaceways does good work and wins that asterisk will hang over them saying “You won! But not really.” They’ve screwed over everyone on their slate. And of course you can’t forget that they screwed all of the deserving people who would have been nominated if it weren’t for the Sad Puppies.

From what I’ve gathered, really just through this blow up and last year’s, is that the Sad Puppy people really don’t want works judged on their merit. When that happens they and their friends don’t get awards and they’re pretty upset about it. That’s what a slate is for. Everyone who voted for that slate had to put aside their personal view of what they thought was the best work of the year so they could be followers in a cause rather than real, straightforward fans. They wanted to win instead of wanting the best work to win.

So that’s their sin. They disregarded the merit of everyone they nominated, everyone they blocked from nomination, and fans like me who actually wanted to see what real Hugo participants think is great. The only reasonable act is to disregard their slate.

24. Here is a plan for the next Hugo cycle. I’m documenting it here.

First, we get one of L. Ron Hubbard’s friends or children to publish a much-needed follow-on to the tour-de-force that is Mission Earth. While I know at first this sounds like a daunting task to follow in the footsteps of such a genius, I’m sure he left behind various missives either recorded or on paper that would easily serve as the basis for a conclusion to the series. Or a prequel. John C Wright might be able to bring his skills of ‘writing in the style of’ to the task and produce a serviceable short story. I defer to them.

Second, in order to promote the work we create some podcasts, a fanzine, spin-off short stories, a novella, youtube videos, a film starring Tom Cruise, an omnibus collection of his earlier writing, and various paintings.

Third, we get all the clear-headed fans of LRH to become members. They claim to number in the millions, however even if they actually have fewer adherents than there are Rastafarians it still dwarfs the traditional number who usually vote for the Hugo.

Fourth, we nominate the Mission Earth series and the accompanying works for all the awards.

Finally, L. Ron Hubbard gets the recognition he deserves and is long overdue from the SF community. Perhaps we can even get a new award created and named for him.

Or wait – I know:

We rename the Hugo itself to the Hubbard.

Mission accomplished indeed!

• A lot of people have been asking me, what does the Hubbard award look like?

Obviously, to me there are several choices. You could go with the hand grasping the earth – showing how the master of satire owns us all. Also a volcano always makes a fine choice in reference to all the hot fiery passion LRH showed in his many works. You certainly couldn’t go wrong if you simply went with a bust of LRH.

But what about a combination of all three? Imagine a volcano birthing a fist holding the head of LRH triumphantly above the tableau. Now that would be an award full of awe!

However, in all honesty, I think this is one award that would be best designed by a committee. Only then would we see true diversity in the design.

25. Harry Blanchard // April 7, 2015 at 8:49 pm //

When one writer wins 1/3 of the short fiction nomination slots, more than any sf writer to my knowledge, well, then … those who support this fraternity-style stunt who try to counter with something like ‘good writers finally getting recognized’ are, well, shall we be charitable and call them “disingenuous.” For those of us who spend a good chunk of time reading the year’s new fiction and honestly voting on quality of writing, it’s hard not to feel, well, “disappointed” would be a word. It’s sort of like thinking you’re dealing with adults and then suddenly ending up in a nursery school (albeit one that officially follows the rules). But, look all, it’s just a hobby, and the reading is its own reward. I suggest taking the entire ballot seriously, trust me, you’ll find little of merit among certain of these nominations but give it its due. One way to respond to pranksters is to simply continue on, it’s not unlikely then they will declare victory, get bored, and move on to other stunts. Unless they’re truly insane, then not. Finally, for those thinking of voting “no award” do not place anything ‘below’ that, they will work out as positive votes. If you actively don’t want a certain work to be considered, then do not place it on your ballot at all.

• Graff Fuller // April 15, 2015 at 4:56 pm //

I agree with you, Harry. I was truly disappointed with the nominees (especially when I heard of the block voting). Avoid the temptation to do anything more than you would do any other year. Just do your homework and see if the nominees are deserving. If they are, vote. If not, then don’t. Simple. I like what GRRM is saying…give it a look, if you have the time.

26. Brent Bowen is the correct spelling for best fancast nominee, aisfp. Could someone please fix that?

27. John,

“Why Science Is Never Settled” is available on Baen in two parts.

Zombie Nation is a web comic, but I’m having a hard time finding what the start date / issue of the book is.

28. Axiomatic // April 17, 2015 at 11:50 am //

Oh my. I came to see if the commentary on this post was a shit storm…. and it was! Fantastic!

I too support the transformation of the Hugo in to the “Hubbard” award FOLRH! Oddly enough I heard of this plan somewhere before. I just cant remember where.

29. As an F/SF reader who is not really a hard-core fan but likes book recommendations – here is my take:

I understand the populist sentiment of wanting to kind of take the power of the prize away from a literary “cognoscenti” and “democratize” it by getting a whole bunch of regular fans to vote. I can even appreciate such an effort. I bought “Windup Girl” because it won the Hugo and Nebula but I couldn’t get past the first 50 pages or so. I was thinking: “how did this book win?” I would much rather know the nominations of several thousand F/SF readers (who probably read faster and have more time to read than I do) than the results of a kind of “group-think” of several dozen people who are apparently colleagues and associates.

Hoever, from what I gather, that is not what the various puppy platforms did. They posted slates on a couple or three blogs and “suggested” that their readers vote for those books. People paid the dues and voted for them, not because the books were good, but because they were trying to make a political point. Now they are even more meaningless than they were before (assuming that the point was to recognize the best fiction in the genre).

• Harry Blanchard // April 17, 2015 at 8:03 pm //

Ron C – Please be suspicious of the claim that the motive is to ‘democratize’ the Hugo process. And skeptical of the implication that some small group of cognoscenti have done the nominating in previous years. One simple reality check: look at the novels that were nominated and those that won in recent years. They have largely also been works that were well-known, popular authors, and sold rather well – what more democratic measure could you have? And, if you grant me leave to do so, I offer myself. I have both nominated to the short list as well as voted on the final ballot for a number of years now. I assure you I am not one of the cognoscenti, I know no writers, have never aspired to write fiction, do not frequent conventions, rarely post, don’t have a blog, you name it. I am not a member of the writing, commenting, or publishing profession, I have my own profession (engineering) and I simply love sf and read a lot of it. I’m the only one? I doubt it.

• i have to admit I was taking the post I read on the Monster Hunters blog at face value and it made some sense. But reading some of the later posts on other blogs tipped me off that there was another agenda (what is “the science fiction right”?). Anyway, it is really off-putting that the nominations are basically a composite of two blog posts.

30. I think it’s worth mentioning in this post that Black Gate (fanzine) and Edmund R. Schubert (editor, short form) have announced their wish to withdraw from the ballot and won’t accept a Hugo this year. Sure, this is the final ballot and they are on it because they didn’t withdraw in time, but it’s still an important thing for the voters to know.