Interviews & Profiles
- BleedingCool interviews Mike Carey, author of Fellside.
- Grim Tidings interviews Nick Sharps and Tim Marquitz of the MECH: Age of Steel.
- Lawrence M. Schoen interviews Ben Reeder, author of The Demon’s Apprentice.
- Legendarium Media interviews P. W. Singer, author of Ghost Fleet.
- Little Red Reviewer interviews Jeff Vandermeer, author of Annihilation.
- SFFWorld interviews Christopher Nuttall, author of Their Darkest Hour.
- Bioshock creative director Ken Levine is teaming up with Interlude, creators of the Bob Dylan “Like A Rolling Stone” interactive video, to make a Twilight Zone interactive movie.
- Neil Gaiman Is Adapting, Good Omens, Co-Written by Terry Pratchett, for TV
Events & Event News
- Alan Tudyk, PJ Haarsma, and Shannon Eric Denton will sign the comic Spectrum #0 from the web-series Con Man at House of Secrets in Burbank, CA on Saturday May 7, 2016 from 6:00 PM till 7:00 PM for Free Comic Book Day!
- Innominate, Eastercon 2017, the 68th British National Science Fiction Convention is offering introductory membership rates through April 30. Afterwards its rates will rise by £5 for Adult, YA and Concession memberships.
- Philip K. Dick Conference will be held at Cal State Fullerton 4/29-4/30
- Untethered: A Magic iPhone Anthology – A collection of short fiction exploring the intersection of magic and technology in our smartphones.
- VERDACOMB Volume One – Three friends unite to expose a dystopian world of corruption in order to awaken a city of virtual reality addicts.
- Welcome to Deadland Welcome to Deadland – In this Lost meets The Walking Dead tale, a ragtag team of characters are thrust together in an abandoned theme park as a widespread outbreak decimates humanity, turning the infected into something less than human.
- Book Review: “David Means’s debut novel, Hystopia, is wonderfully peculiar: It’s a war novel that feels on top of the emotions war evokes now while avoiding the well-worn modes of stark realism or over-the-top satire.” [via Paul Di Filippo]
- 10 TV Shows Ruined By Dream Sequences, according to ScreenRant
- 11 Zombie Novels That Deserve The Walking Dead Treatment
- 12 Monkeys: why you should watch Syfy’s unlikely time travel movie remake
- 12 Most Powerful Female Characters In Star Wars
- 14 Female Actors Who Should Be The Next Doctor
- 17 Science Fiction Books That Forever Changed The Genre
- Cantina Talk: Finally, Real Details About the New Star Wars Movie
- Carnegie horror author finds instant success with 1st novel [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Every semi-competent male hero has a more talented female sidekick. Why isn’t she the hero instead? Vox contemplates gender tropes in genre superhero media.
- The five levels of YA fiction fandom
- How Avatar is Adjusting to the Modern Blockbuster Landscape
- James Cameron, You’ll Be Missed: [he] “was 42 when he started shooting Titanic, and he will be nearly 70 once his unshakable commitment to the Avatar franchise is done. That was my biggest takeaway from today’s news that Cameron plans four sequels to his 2009 sci-fi megahit, which are loosely slated to premiere in 2018, 2020, 2021, and 2022.”
- JC Carlton follows up his article on Generation Ships with an explanation of Why Generation Ships Will NOT “Sink” A Failure To Communicate
- Peter Mayhew Reveals Obi-Wan’s Original Fate
- Science at the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival and Beyond — Virtual Reality and Sci-Fi
- So How Exactly Do We Get To Alpha Centauri? The star system is 25 trillion miles away.
- Star Trek at 50: The Wertzone on The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
- The strange story of Hugo Gernsback, who brought sci-fi magazines to America
- What Defines A Non-Superpowered Hero?
- Why it matters that Ghost in the Shell is Japanese and Scarlett Johansson isn’t
- You Know What? You Were Right to Stay a Star Wars Fan All Those Years
- ACME Archives have some new Star Wars: The Force Awakens inspired prints by Stephan Martiniere, Brian Rood, Jerry Vanderstelt, JP Valderrama and Stephen Hayford. They’re available as limited edition giclee prints on paper and canvas. Go here to buy.
- Jedi Training by Edward Pun
- Rogue One fan poster by Kevin Tiernan
More Fun Stuff
- An Alien Spends Human History Underground in This Beautiful Animated Short
- Forget Carbonite, This LEGO Han Solo is Made of Solid Gold
- How Microsoft Conjured Up Real-Life Star Wars Holograms
- Go on the journey of a lifetime with remarkable adventurers in this all-new podcast hosted by Tony C. Smith. Join Your Remarkable Adventure for interviews and personal insights from the men and women who have been there and come back to tell the tale.
- Is the Space Elevator Science Fiction or the Future of Mankind?
- These are the Ultimate Fan-Made Lightsabers
- This Black Velvet Nebula Cake Is A Sweet Slice Of Space
- Watch Earth’s Auroras From Space in 4K Resolution
- Watch These Carbon Nanotubes Assemble Themselves. Sci-fi horror in the making
- Watch a trailer for the indie documentary How to Build a Time Machine